299 Days of English

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
and at $900k per year - how much time does he have to produce results?

That's the rubric by which you're evaluating, huh? And define, "results."

I really like the hire. But I expect the team to have early struggles as we have a first-time coach, playing in a very competitive conference against some more talented teams, with a young team (7 Frosh & Sophs), plus 3 new transfers, that lost its top 3 and 4-of-5 scorers from last season's team.

In fact, here's the percentages of what we've lost from last year's team broken down by category:

MIN62%
FGM67%
FGA66%
FTM65%
FTA63%
3PM76%
3PA72%
PTS68%
OR57%
DR64%
REB62%
AST60%
TO65%
STL69%
BLK69%

Last edited:

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
5 years I'd imagine. I personally think we'll start to see the fruits late season 2 and throughout years 3-4, but if things go bumpy I'd want to see what he can do with 5 full seasons of his recruiting and coaching.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Maybe I'm setting the bar way too high, but I'm kind of pissed he has yet to get us to the NCAA Tournament. I'm sure his apologists will claim there hasn't been a tournament since he got the job, but that quite frankly is a loser mentality we can't accept in these parts anymore.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Maybe I'm setting the bar way too high, but I'm kind of pissed he has yet to get us to the NCAA Tournament. I'm sure his apologists will claim there hasn't been a tournament since he got the job, but that quite frankly is a loser mentality we can't accept in these parts anymore.

Forget the NCAA tournament, he hasn't even won us a game yet!

Jokes aside, English will get the length of his contract to produce an NCAA caliber team.

Based on how people feel about him in the industry, as well as the administration, I would be surprised if he didn't have Mason on the fast track to make an appearance within 3 years considering his ability to recruit thus far and what the staff is going after in terms of quality of talent.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Agreed, I have modest expectations for the coming year. I just want to see evidence of a plan in place. By year three I will expect to see us in the A10 top 4 and competing for an NCAA bid. Any success prior to year 3 will be gravy in my eyes. Years 4 and 5 must be NCAA.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
That's the rubric by which you're evaluating, huh? And define, "results."

I really like the hire. But I expect the team to have early struggles as we have a first-time coach, playing in a very competitive conference against some more talented teams, with a young team (7 Frosh & Sophs), plus 3 new transfers, that lost its top 3 and 4-of-5 scorers from last season's team.

In fact, here's the percentages of what we've lost from last year's team broken down by category:

MIN62%
FGM67%
FGA66%
FTM65%
FTA63%
3PM76%
3PA72%
PTS68%
OR57%
DR64%
REB62%
AST60%
TO65%
STL69%
BLK69%
People forget that DP had 3 1-2 really good players left over from Hewitt. KE has a lot less but I’m sure is expecting a lot more in his first season. Going to be awesome to watch.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
5 years I'd imagine. I personally think we'll start to see the fruits late season 2 and throughout years 3-4, but if things go bumpy I'd want to see what he can do with 5 full seasons of his recruiting and coaching.
5 years? Are you guys nuts? In year two, we are a solid top 4 threat. No wonder you expected to win with ponies under DP. Now that we have legit horses coming in, you still can't see the forest thru the trees.

oh...and I heard AJ Wilson dunked on you for trashing his picture on twitter. Way to support the Patriot Alums.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
5 years? Are you guys nuts? In year two, we are a solid top 4 threat. No wonder you expected to win with ponies under DP. Now that we have legit horses coming in, you still can't see the forest thru the trees.

oh...and I heard AJ Wilson dunked on you for trashing his picture on twitter. Way to support the Patriot Alums.
I mean if that's your expectation then that's okay, but there are still going to be roster holes going into year 2 so you might get disappointed.

And I'd encourage you to point our where I "trashed his picture on twitter". Better yet -- find somewhere where I have ever said anything negative about AJ Wilson at all. Never said anything but good things about that guy while he was here.

The Great PATSby

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I mean if that's your expectation then that's okay, but there are still going to be roster holes going into year 2 so you might get disappointed.

And I'd encourage you to point our where I "trashed his picture on twitter". Better yet -- find somewhere where I have ever said anything negative about AJ Wilson at all. Never said anything but good things about that guy while he was here.

I saw that tweet. I didn't think what you said was offensive at all. AJ def misinterpreted it.

In all serious though, a random park in the middle of a neighborhood is an odd place to do a team photoshoot.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
In year two, we are a solid top 4 threat. No wonder you expected to win with ponies under DP. Now that we have legit horses coming in, you still can't see the forest thru the trees.

Based on what exactly? The stellar play of our future PG that may or may not be on the roster currently? Our head coaches proven track record? Freshman potential that always pans out?

St. Bonnie had 0 Seniors on the team that won the A-10 last year.
Dayton just signed a class w/one Top 50 Recruit, 3 in the Top 150, and a UGA transfer that was a former Top 100 recruit.
St. Louis just just picked up a Top 50 transfer out of Memphis
Davidson is still coached by McKillop, who's had his team finish Top 3 in the A-10 3 of the last 4 years.
vcu has finished in the Top 3 in the A-10 4 of the last six years.

Those programs aren't suddenly going away.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Based on what exactly? The stellar play of our future PG that may or may not be on the roster currently? Our head coaches proven track record? Freshman potential that always pans out?

Dayton just signed a class w/one Top 50 Recruit, 3 in the Top 150, and a UGA transfer that was a former Top 100 recruit.
Davidson is still coached by McKillop, who's had his team finish Top 3 in the A-10 3 of the last 4 years.

You are 100% accurate. Its nothing new that those same schools have those things going for them like that every year. I am just saying we are about to join them at that big boy table as early as next season. I knew on Paulsens first day he wasn't cut out for the A10 and stated as much. Hated the The Virus hire for obvious reasons. KE is different and we all probably agree but can't prove it. For me its similar to Coach L's first year. You could just tell. It's just my opinon, but like Plato said, "Opinons are the lowest form of knowledge".

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR

Yep. KE won the press conference. He has said all the right things. Looks like he has brought in some talented guys. But my expectations for next year are realistic and I don't expect to be top 4.

However, if it happens, then it will be easier for KE to win the recruiting battles going forward. Winning the first season is so important to how players, recruits, fans, media see a new hire. And I don't know which is worse, taking over a dumpster fire or an irrelevant middle of pack program.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
You are 100% accurate. Its nothing new that those same schools have those things going for them like that every year. I am just saying we are about to join them at that big boy table as early as next season. I knew on Paulsens first day he wasn't cut out for the A10 and stated as much. Hated the The Virus hire for obvious reasons. KE is different and we all probably agree but can't prove it. For me its similar to Coach L's first year. You could just tell. It's just my opinon, but like Plato said, "Opinons are the lowest form of knowledge".
You flip flopped on DP more than the rest of the fans combined. Shit on the people that knew he sucked from the beginning and shit on the fans that thought he was a good coach for us. You are a confusing guy and I’m surprised you know what Twitter is

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
how is this?

Year 1 - 5 League Wins
Year 2 - 10 League Wins
Year 3 - Non NCAA Post Season Bid, Top half of the A-10, 10+ League Wins
Year 4 - Top 6 of A-10, NIT bid, 12+ League Wins
Year 5 - Top 5 of A-10, Solid NIT Bid, Borderline NCAA Bid, 12+ League Wins, top 50 OOC Schedule, at least 6 OOC Wins, at least 1 top 100 OOC win, at least 1 top 75 OOC win, at least 1 top 50 OOC win

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
You flip flopped on DP more than the rest of the fans combined. Shit on the people that knew he sucked from the beginning and shit on the fans that thought he was a good coach for us. You are a confusing guy and I’m surprised you know what Twitter is
You outta your mind. I would still throw you at life vest if you were drowning for the sake of keeping us entertained on here. DP was drowning from day one. It was sad to be right.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
how is this?

Honestly? It's not great.

You're using inconsistent measurements, some of which need more context. Here's a better way. Not the only way, but better.

A-10 Regular Season Finish
Year 5 - 6th
Year 4 - 12th
Year 3 - 5th
Year 2 - 7th
Year 1 - 7th
1 Year Prior - 12th
2 Years Prior - 14th

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
People forget that DP had 3 1-2 really good players left over from Hewitt.

Moore and Thompson?

Both had very solid Jr. years and really good Sr. years, but beyond that the roster was a bit of a dumpster fire. Two freshmen led the team in minutes, Marko Gujancic was a starting forward and DeAndre Abram and Kameron Murrell were the first two guards off the bench.

Paulsen's biggest miss as Mason's Coach may have been failing to convince Isaiah Jackson (9.6 pts - Providence), Eric Lockett (14.3 pts & 6.5 rbds - FIU/NC State), and Trey Porter (13.2 pts & 6.2 rbds - ODU/Nevada) to stick around. If he could've kept those three and still signed Livingston and Grayer, he'd have had the nucleus for a really big, athletic team that could've competed for championships.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
how is this?

Year 1 - 5 League Wins
Year 2 - 10 League Wins
Year 3 - Non NCAA Post Season Bid, Top half of the A-10, 10+ League Wins
Year 4 - Top 6 of A-10, NIT bid, 12+ League Wins
Year 5 - Top 5 of A-10, Solid NIT Bid, Borderline NCAA Bid, 12+ League Wins, top 50 OOC Schedule, at least 6 OOC Wins, at least 1 top 100 OOC win, at least 1 top 75 OOC win, at least 1 top 50 OOC win
I’d be hard pressed to call anything with 0 NCAA appearances within 5 years a success, but it’d be hard to say we should move on after consecutive NITs in that hypothetical. It would be a really tough position to be in as a program because you’d have to wonder, is this the ceiling for the coach, or is the continued upward momentum enough? I think I’d need to see a ton of stuff going very right in recruiting and that the in court product would have to look good for me to consider that successful for a 5 year stretch, but my expectations probably aren’t the same as most.

Although most years that resume in year 5 is good enough to get you an at large, minus the comparatively abysmal league play.

GreenLantern

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I go into year one with minimal expectations. This is essentially a brand new team from a coach we haven't seen coach yet. Win more than we lose and finish in the top half in conference. Then I'll evaluate for season 2