2024 Recruiting

OP
GreenLantern

GreenLantern

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Newest 2039 recruit
116523782-baby-with-ball-in-basketball-uniform-this-immage-can-use-for-play-sport-baby-child-k...jpg

He15man

Starter
Wow.... we almost never heard about kids getting offers 3 years out like this. Were our previous coaches just really conservative with their offers? Is KE just more willing to pull the trigger on kids with less hard evidence - and more gut feeling based on small indicators? Or did we just not hear about offers that went out previously like this?

I LOVE that we're getting in early with kids. It means alot to be among a kids first set of offers, and kickstart that long-term relationship building.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Wow.... we almost never heard about kids getting offers 3 years out like this. Were our previous coaches just really conservative with their offers? Is KE just more willing to pull the trigger on kids with less hard evidence - and more gut feeling based on small indicators? Or did we just not hear about offers that went out previously like this?

I LOVE that we're getting in early with kids. It means alot to be among a kids first set of offers, and kickstart that long-term relationship building.
Yes, relationship to the kids and parents is huge. Maybe even enough to get them to choose Mason over possible later offers from Duke, G'town, etc.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Go to Duke and make 100k under the table and end up as a lottery pick, or go to Mason and get an unlimited plan to Southside. Genuine 50/50 if you ask me.
Maybe you guys are right, but you never know. In 1900 the head of the copyright office in D.C. said "Everything that can be invented has been invented." He was wrong.
You just never know how a family will react to certain emotional tugs....IF Mason is a winning program on the rise.
A year ago who would have thought DP would be gone, KE would be here, and P5 players would be wanting to come to Mason...before we've even played one game?

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Maybe you guys are right, but you never know. In 1900 the head of the copyright office in D.C. said "Everything that can be invented has been invented." He was wrong.
You just never know how a family will react to certain emotional tugs....IF Mason is a winning program on the rise.
A year ago who would have thought DP would be gone, KE would be here, and P5 players would be wanting to come to Mason...before we've even played one game?
You’re right in the whole “you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take” part of the thinking, but I think there’s a level of P5 programs that we could occasionally snag a recruit from, and then programs like Duke, UNC, and Kentucky where once someone gets an offer to one of them it’s a done deal.

Yes, we are getting kids to come here from P5 schools, but we aren’t beating P5 schools to them. They’ve gone and either done four years and want a change or have done a year or so and realize the playing time isn’t there. Offering first may help us beat out a say, VA Tech, but I don’t see a scenario where it helps us beat out a consistent Final Four program.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
You’re right in the whole “you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take” part of the thinking, but I think there’s a level of P5 programs that we could occasionally snag a recruit from, and then programs like Duke, UNC, and Kentucky where once someone gets an offer to one of them it’s a done deal.

Yes, we are getting kids to come here from P5 schools, but we aren’t beating P5 schools to them. They’ve gone and either done four years and want a change or have done a year or so and realize the playing time isn’t there. Offering first may help us beat out a say, VA Tech, but I don’t see a scenario where it helps us beat out a consistent Final Four program.
I agree, on the whole, but one reason we may not be beating out P5 schools is because KE just started recruiting a month ago. Anyway, we'll see, but I think it's a lot more likely now than it's ever been before.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I agree, on the whole, but one reason we may not be beating out P5 schools is because KE just started recruiting a month ago. Anyway, we'll see, but I think it's a lot more likely now than it's ever been before.
I mean we will never beat out duke or Kentucky for a recruit but we could pull a dayton and snag a top 50’dude that had offers from every tier 2 school. Look at Schwartz as exhibit A. He never even looked at other schools but I’m sure the offers were definitely there