2022-23 Out of Conference Schedule

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
and Maryland at EBA since, well, we beat them last year.
How about this for an out-of-the-box contract:
We agree to play at Maryland. They pay us $X for the game. However, if we win, we forfeit that $$ and they are forced to play us in Fairfax the following year.
This could work at any level. We lose to UMES this year, we play at their place next season.

Can't imagine any school would agree to that, but its creative.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
How about this for an out-of-the-box contract:
We agree to play at Maryland. They pay us $X for the game. However, if we win, we forfeit that $$ and they are forced to play us in Fairfax the following year.
I like the idea, but 0% of this happening haha. Its August so we have to definitely come up with ideas like this to pass the time for another 3 months. :)

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Honestly, I see neutral site games becoming more and more of what schools at the A10 level end up doing. Many Power 5s don't do many home and homes (mostly buys) other than maybe a "challenge" of some sort. At some point, hopefully Mason can sneak a home and home with a Power5 but those are fewer and far between. Obviously the last one Mason did was Penn State.

I think this is advantageous for a school like Mason, but they now have to show they are valuable enough to participate in some better neutral tournaments. I'd love to see them participate in better ones, but of course you have to be invited less risk etc etc etc. There are just so many out there that you easily could do 2 classics and get 3-4 really good neutral games if not more.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Honestly, I see neutral site games becoming more and more of what schools at the A10 level end up doing. Many Power 5s don't do many home and homes (mostly buys) other than maybe a "challenge" of some sort. At some point, hopefully Mason can sneak a home and home with a Power5 but those are fewer and far between. Obviously the last one Mason did was Penn State.

I think this is advantageous for a school like Mason, but they now have to show they are valuable enough to participate in some better neutral tournaments. I'd love to see them participate in better ones, but of course you have to be invited less risk etc etc etc. There are just so many out there that you easily could do 2 classics and get 3-4 really good neutral games if not more.
With how much focus the area has on it recruiting-wise, I would think that high majors would try and get a game in DC. Our best chance at securing a neutral site against a High Major would be a game at Capital One, which is an attractive option for a school like Indiana that recruits the DMV so heavily, or West Virginia who has a ton of alums in the region. I know this has been tried, and has fallen apart for various reasons beyond Mason's control. I just have to imagine that it will work out eventually.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
With how much focus the area has on it recruiting-wise, I would think that high majors would try and get a game in DC. Our best chance at securing a neutral site against a High Major would be a game at Capital One, which is an attractive option for a school like Indiana that recruits the DMV so heavily, or West Virginia who has a ton of alums in the region. I know this has been tried, and has fallen apart for various reasons beyond Mason's control. I just have to imagine that it will work out eventually.

Yes, but the B1G already gets to play UMD. And if not, there is always Georgetown as an option, which I think makes it harder.

Since 2007, we’ve had 3? P5s come in? Mississippi State in ‘07, UVA in ‘12, and Penn State in ‘17. About once every 5 years. Seems like we are due.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I’m actually surprised we haven’t seen anything about a game with Colorado or Tennessee yet. Both of them would make fantastic home-and-home partners, just saying.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I’m actually surprised we haven’t seen anything about a game with Colorado or Tennessee yet. Both of them would make fantastic home-and-home partners, just saying.
Tennessee was attempted but didn’t workout. Not because of either school though.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
No disagreement from me. I know a few years ago there were rumblings that VT was being spoken to about a home and home or 2 for 1. Might have been under Paulsen, but obviously nothing has materialized.

I know the Cap1 neutral site approach has also been tried, although I am not sure if they are hosting so many college games at Cap1 anymore other than Georgetown of course. I could be wrong.

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
No disagreement from me. I know a few years ago there were rumblings that VT was being spoken to about a home and home or 2 for 1. Might have been under Paulsen, but obviously nothing has materialized.

I know the Cap1 neutral site approach has also been tried, although I am not sure if they are hosting so many college games at Cap1 anymore other than Georgetown of course. I could be wrong.
might be a large bill to play at Cap One
didn't Michigan play at the Mystics arena - Entertainment and Sports Arena in Southeast - last season?

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
FYI. Auburn is currently traveling and playing in Israel. They beat the Israel U20 team 117 - 56. Today they beat Israel Select 107 - 71 today. Captain Obvious reports that they are big, strong, athletic, play great D, and pound the offensive glass. They will be a tough team to open the season against. They play again tomorrow (Monday) at 1 PM against the Israel National Team on the SEC Network in case anyone needs a college basketball fix and wants to get a sneak peek at the Tigers.

Last edited:
OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
FYI. Auburn is currently traveling and playing in Israel. They beat the Israel U20 team 117 - 56. Today they beat Israel Select 107 - 71 today. Captain Obvious reports that they are big, strong, athletic, play great D, and pound the offensive glass. They will be a tough team to open the season against. They play again tomorrow (Monday) at 1 PM agains the Israel National Team on the SEC Network in case anyone needs a college basketball fix and wants to get a sneak peek at the Tigers.
Special thanks to one of you - we (MasonHoops members) all have access to the SEC Network

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Jon Rothstein

@JonRothstein
·
Auburn falls to the Israeli National Team in its final game overseas. Tigers have depth, experience, and solid potential. Role allocation obviously still a work in progress. This is ONLY August.