2022-23 Out of Conference Schedule

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
My family always gets our xmas tree the day after thanksgiving and I think a lot of other people do to that weekend - you have 3 full days to get the tree up and decorate.

We should have a pregame tailgate/xmas tree sale with a local queen cover band - serve spiked/virgin hot cider and chocolate, Brad dressed up as santa clause, etc.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
"George Mason will host Queens as part of its 22-23 non-conference schedule."

"The date is set for November 26th at EagleBank Arena."

View: https://twitter.com/RoccoMiller8/status/1542863581443567616

I believe this is their first year in divison 1.
I look forward to welcoming Akeem and Semmi and anyone else from the Kingdom of Zamunda in Fairfax.

I hope we can get a vcu grad to open up a McDowell's in time.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I mean I always joke about hosting Chicago State and Delaware State, but this to me feels like its on that level.

Yeesh.

At least this should be what it is intended to be, a glorified practice and hopefully a 20 point win.

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I mean I always joke about hosting Chicago State and Delaware State, but this to me feels like its on that level.

Yeesh.

At least this should be what it is intended to be, a glorified practice and hopefully a 20 point win.
Hoping that this is the only gae of this quality

but i can understand KE giving the new guys a break by scheduling them
i am sure they will appreciate this game
hopefuly this is not a home and home
and we win
and the starters sit while the rest of the team plays a lot

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Y’all seem to have forgotten we almost lost to Queens in DP’s last year. Should have lost, in fact, and got lucky to win by 1. They’re already better than some established low-DI programs we could have scheduled for a buy game.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Y’all seem to have forgotten we almost lost to Queens in DP’s last year. Should have lost, in fact, and got lucky to win by 1. They’re already better than some established low-DI programs we could have scheduled for a buy game.

This better be one of those “hey they ended up better than expected” games.

Otherwise scheduling Queens is extremely underwhelming. They are still new to d1 and it’s unknown if they’ll carry that success over.

Very blah to me to see this on the schedule.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
This better be one of those “hey they ended up better than expected” games.

Otherwise scheduling Queens is extremely underwhelming. They are still new to d1 and it’s unknown if they’ll carry that success over.

Very blah to me to see this on the schedule.

It’s their first year in D1 and have to play somebody. It’s like UVA helping JMU open their new convocation center. I don’t have a problem with this.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
It’s their first year in D1 and have to play somebody. It’s like UVA helping JMU open their new convocation center. I don’t have a problem with this.
One thing I’ve learned about George Mason Athletics is things will never get better unless the fanbase demands it. We got there with the coaching, but the AD is comfortable with scheduling like this because our fanbase seemingly does not care. We need to schedule better. This queens scheduling will be the rule for this season — not the exception. Scheduling is not this insane thing that ADs can’t figure out, St Joes has scheduled better than us for years now while being a**.

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
a serious question - is the schedulng of any sport - the responsibility of the Head Coach or the AD??

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
a serious question - is the schedulng of any sport - the responsibility of the Head Coach or the AD??
I think it’s a shared responsibility. Coaches are def involved, but the AD generally works out the details.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I think it’s a shared responsibility. Coaches are def involved, but the AD generally works out the details.
That’s not true. The head coach sets the non-conference schedule, the AD has nothing to do with it beyond making sure the facility is available on specific dates.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
That’s not true. The head coach sets the non-conference schedule, the AD has nothing to do with it beyond making sure the facility is available on specific dates.
That can’t be true, considering there is significant money flying around for buy games that basketball head coaches certainly can’t approve on their own since it impacts the whole department.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Anyone saying the AD provides no help in the scheduling other than budget and facilities availability has been lied to is all I will say

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
Instead of saying “Dudes on this board are idiots”, how about providing some actual facts instead of name calling?

I have talked with a few former coaches at Mason who were the ones putting together our schedule in the past. Most of the time it was an assistant assigned to do the dirty work with guidance from the head coach.

Years ago Basketball Travelers had a message board where coaches would go to look for open dates. For a long time it was public and fans could see assistant coaches reaching out for game availability.

Coach English talked about him fielding calls/text last year during half time of a game to add one of the last minute games that we scheduled.

Did a quick search - here’s an article that talks about coaches filling out their schedules. Even talks about the bonuses some have in their contract for certain scheduling criteria. So you are trying to tell me an athletic director is going to put a bonus in the coaches contract for a schedule, then be in control of the schedule and determine if that coach earns the bonus?!?! https://watchstadium.com/a-look-at-...rough-the-eyes-of-utah-valley-09-18-2019/amp/

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like the board is still alive and well: https://www.btischeduling.com/

“Since 1986 when Basketball Travelers was founded, we’ve found that scheduling games is one of the biggest obstacles coaches have to overcome every year. Our Scheduling Board has long been the home of scheduling interaction among hundreds of Division I men’s and women’s basketball programs, and with our new-and-improved version it’s never been easier to get the games you need.

With a new user-friendly interface, the Scheduling Board helps you research what other schools are looking for, collaborate with other coaches, and ultimately get games on the calendar. Filter through hundreds of posts to find exactly what you need, message coaches directly, and take advantage of HD Intelligence’s scheduling-driven analytics to give your team its best shot to qualify for the big dance.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Talked with a sitting D1 AD this morning, who previously was with an A10 school.

It can certainly vary by school, but in his experience/practice, the staff is doing the vast majority of the scheduling. He has had to step in in the past to assist when certain challenges come up, like difficultly securing a buy game, but for the most part, as long as the AD and the HC are on good terms, the AD leaves the scheduling to the staff. Generally, he sets forth some scheduling goals/criteria, and the staff goes out and gets the games.

He did say that he gets approached by other ADs from time to time, so again, it can vary.