2022-23 Out of Conference Schedule

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Shown is this year's OOC schedule

Caveat:
I have no idea if there are games that have already been contracted for the 22-23 season
I believe there is a minimum home game contract with the eagle bank arena management company - mandating 16 home games per season - i could be wrong

===============

13 games OOC (assuming 18 game Conference schedule)

11/7 Auburn Away
11/11 Longwood Home
11/13 American Home
11/18 Boston College Away/Neutral Holiday Tournament
11/19 Holiday Tournament Away/Neutral
11/20 Holiday Tournament Away/Neutral
11/26 Queens College Home
11/30 Hofstra Home
12/3 Toledo Home
12/6 UMES Home
12/17 Tulane Away/Neutral
12/21 ODU Away
12/23 Coppin Home

leaves 2 OOC games and those will be home OOC games

7 Home games
2 Away games
1 Away/Neutral games
3 Away/Neutral/Holiday Tournament Games

==============

9 home games in league
7 home games OOC to fill the home game arena contract

MY wishes
a)
1 game vs top 10 team
1 game vs team ranked 11-20
1 game vs team ranked 21-30
These will likely be all away games - until we improve our stature and relevance

b)
Formation of DMV 4 or 5 similar to the Big 5 in Philly
GMU, Maryland, Georgetown, American and/or Howard

c) schedule analysis to understand the effects of day of week on attendence, tv coverage, etc
Which leads to a more strategic design of the OOC schedule to produce more attendence, ticket sales and heighted program awareness

d) one away game at Howard, scheduled in conjuction with a women's game so we can see the effects and how that scheduling paradigm works out
( I have partial season tix to Howard)

e) One home game, vs a regional rival - JMU, ODU, American, Navy, scheduled in conjuction with a woman's game - 4:30 pm woman's game , 7 pm men's game

f) Unversity offer buses to select regional away games - at least one bus for students and another bus for non students
Subsidize the student's buses and tickets
so based on last years schedule - Morgan, Howard, Coppin, JMU, Maryland are all about an hour or less away
ODU, Navy and Norfolk may need to be weekend games for this to work

g) A balance in the upgrade of schedule to include projected wins, increase in SoS, increase in likeihood of a NCAA Tourney bid, a 20 win season, increased attendance - both home and away, increased TV Appearances, better TV Appearances ( better than ESPN+)

h) home and away OOC Contracts could include an exchange of say 50 student tix and 50 adult tix, initialy made available to STH and student fans, at the same effective price of a GMU home game as part of the STH package

Comments? Criticms? Anything missing?

Regular Season
DATEOPPONENTRESULTW-L (CONF)
Tue, Nov 9vs Stony Brook Stony BrookW74-521-0 (0-0)
Fri, Nov 12vs Pennsylvania PennsylvaniaW87-662-0 (0-0)
Sun, Nov 14vs Morgan State Morgan StateW90-533-0 (0-0)
Wed, Nov 17@ Maryland 20 MarylandW71-664-0 (0-0)
Fri, Nov 19@ James Madison James MadisonL67-644-1 (0-0)
Mon, Nov 22vs Washington Washington *L77-744-2 (0-0)
Tue, Nov 23vs Nevada Nevada *L88-694-3 (0-0)
Wed, Nov 24vs South Dakota State South Dakota State *L80-764-4 (0-0)
Sat, Dec 4vs Old Dominion Old DominionL60-504-5 (0-0)
Tue, Dec 7vs Navy NavyW71-655-5 (0-0)
Sat, Dec 18@ Georgia GeorgiaW80-676-5 (0-0)
Tue, Dec 21vs American University American UniversityW67-447-5 (0-0)
Sat, Jan 1@ Kansas 6 KansasL76-677-6 (0-0)

Last edited:

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
MY wishes
a)
1 game vs top 10 team
These will likely be all away games - until we improve our stature and relevance

b)
a). May happen sooner than later. KE has shown he isn't afraid to play anyone.
b). I've been clamoring for years for this but Maryland and Georgetown have balked.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Shown is this year's OOC schedule

Caveat:
I have no idea if there are games that have already been contracted for the 22-23 season
I believe there is a minimum home game contract with the eagle bank arena management company - mandating 16 home games per season - i could be wrong

13 games OOC
3 away Holiday tournament
leaves 10 games

9 home games in league
7 home games OOC to fill the home game arena contract

MY wishes
a)
1 game vs top 10 team

b)

c) schedule analysis to understand the effects of day of week on attendence, tv coverage, etc
Which leads to a more strategic design of the OOC schedule to produce more attendence, ticket sales and heighted program awareness

d) one away game at Howard, scheduled in conjuction with a women's game so we can see the effects and how that scheduling paradigm works out
( I have partial season tix to Howard)

e) One home game, vs a regional rival - JMU, ODU, American, Navy, scheduled in conjuction with a woman's game - 4:30 pm woman's game , 7 pm men's game

f) Unversity offer buses to select regional away games - at least one bus for students and another bus for non students
so based on last years schedule - Morgan, Howard, Coppin, JMU, Maryland are all about an hour or less away
ODU, Navy and Norfolk may need to be weekend games for this to work

g) A balance in the upgrade of schedule to include projected wins, increase in SoS, increase in likeihood of a NCAA Tourney bid, a 20 win season, increased attendance - both home and away, increased TV Appearances, better TV Appearances ( better than ESPN+)

h) home and away OOC Contracts could include an exchange of say 50 student tix and 50 adult tix, initialy made available to STH and student fans, at the same effective price of a GMU home game as part of the STH package

Comments? Criticms? Anything missing?

Regular Season
DATEOPPONENTRESULTW-L (CONF)
Tue, Nov 9vs Stony Brook Stony BrookW74-521-0 (0-0)
Fri, Nov 12vs Pennsylvania PennsylvaniaW87-662-0 (0-0)
Sun, Nov 14vs Morgan State Morgan StateW90-533-0 (0-0)
Wed, Nov 17@ Maryland 20 MarylandW71-664-0 (0-0)
Fri, Nov 19@ James Madison James MadisonL67-644-1 (0-0)
Mon, Nov 22vs Washington Washington *L77-744-2 (0-0)
Tue, Nov 23vs Nevada Nevada *L88-694-3 (0-0)
Wed, Nov 24vs South Dakota State South Dakota State *L80-764-4 (0-0)
Sat, Dec 4vs Old Dominion Old DominionL60-504-5 (0-0)
Tue, Dec 7vs Navy NavyW71-655-5 (0-0)
Sat, Dec 18@ Georgia GeorgiaW80-676-5 (0-0)
Tue, Dec 21vs American University American UniversityW67-447-5 (0-0)
Sat, Jan 1@ Kansas 6 KansasL76-677-6 (0-0)
You are on fire between your two new threads! A couple of discussion points, not a criticism, just thinking "out loud":

Not sure exactly your point, but, assuming you didn't like some of the times/days we had games. I believe much of the odd ball scheduling was a result of: 1. pre-existing contracts and bowing to bigger programs to get them to give us a buy game (e.g. UMD). 2. A10 scheduling in combination with TV contracts. Now, over and above that, yes, I agree.

f) University offer buses to select regional away games - at least one bus for students and another bus for non students

I like the idea, but a couple notes: I believe the school has tried some or much of this. I don't think they have had enough takers to do more than 1, occasionally 2. On subsidization, especially students, no problem with that, but, I think efforts should be focused on getting fans to home games before we spend the money/effort to get fans to away games. So, if there is a choice to spend X Dollars on either, I would put it towards home games first.

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
You are on fire between your two new threads! A couple of discussion points, not a criticism, just thinking "out loud":

Not sure exactly your point, but, assuming you didn't like some of the times/days we had games. I believe much of the odd ball scheduling was a result of: 1. pre-existing contracts and bowing to bigger programs to get them to give us a buy game (e.g. UMD). 2. A10 scheduling in combination with TV contracts. Now, over and above that, yes, I agree.

f) University offer buses to select regional away games - at least one bus for students and another bus for non students

I like the idea, but a couple notes: I believe the school has tried some or much of this. I don't think they have had enough takers to do more than 1, occasionally 2. On subsidization, especially students, no problem with that, but, I think efforts should be focused on getting fans to home games before we spend the money/effort to get fans to away games. So, if there is a choice to spend X Dollars on either, I would put it towards home games first.

I have no analytical proof or quantitative data to prove the folowing statements
1) All other things beeing equal, attendance is higher on friday, saturday,sunday games than monday Thru Thursday games

but if true we should use this uinfrmation in how the OOC Schedule is produced
WHILE considering the CONSTRAINTS OF
1) previous contracts to play specific teams
2) televison constraints
3) Desire to play top 30 teams , likely on the road, and with a buffer period to assure that we are rested and prepoared for the next opponents

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I'll take a step back and look at this from 10,000 feet:

In 2019-2020, we played one exhibition (I'm not sure if that counts towards our contractual agreement with EBA management or not), we bought 6 games, played a home game as part of a H&H agreement and were paid for two road games. Then add the three tourney games.

This year we were scheduled to buy 6 games, played one home and one road game as parts of H&H, were paid for two games (I realize we added Kansas, but that wasn't on the original schedule), plus 3 tourney games.

For 2022-2023 we know we have 3 tourney games.
I know we have to return the ODU game and I believe JMU is coming to EBA as part of H&H
We'll probably get paid for two games, which I imagine we need.
So if we hold to form, we'll buy 6 games. And chances are, those aren't going to be all that exciting.
Or, we decide to give up one of those 6 games and get paid for a third road game against a power school or we find a willing home-and-home partner.

If we do indeed have a min 16 home game mandate, and if an exhibition doesn't count toward the 16, then there isnt a lot of flexibility in terms of what we can do.

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I forgot to add this one

schedule an OOC game near the hometowns of key graduating seniors so their friends and family can see them play locally

so if i look at the current roster
this is not a problem for Josh Oduru
but would be nice if we could do this for Ticket Gaines and Devon Cooper
and we use this as a reucritiong inducement for key freshmen

Larranaga/Miami played near Reading, Pa as part of the deal to get the kid who left and turned pro early

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I'll take a step back and look at this from 10,000 feet:

In 2019-2020, we played one exhibition (I'm not sure if that counts towards our contractual agreement with EBA management or not), we bought 6 games, played a home game as part of a H&H agreement and were paid for two road games. Then add the three tourney games.

This year we were scheduled to buy 6 games, played one home and one road game as parts of H&H, were paid for two games (I realize we added Kansas, but that wasn't on the original schedule), plus 3 tourney games.

For 2022-2023 we know we have 3 tourney games.
I know we have to return the ODU game and I believe JMU is coming to EBA as part of H&H
We'll probably get paid for two games, which I imagine we need.
So if we hold to form, we'll buy 6 games. And chances are, those aren't going to be all that exciting.
Or, we decide to give up one of those 6 games and get paid for a third road game against a power school or we find a willing home-and-home partner.

If we do indeed have a min 16 home game mandate, and if an exhibition doesn't count toward the 16, then there isnt a lot of flexibility in terms of what we can do.
i agree - under the old coach /system, some of that we must live with, but do we have to live with that in the future, under this coach? what additional flexibilty is gained if we continue to improve our record and stature?nwhile theold contracts expire?

Their is a balance - and i believe we are/will moving/move to a new balance but still govermned by
a) 16 home games in EBA
b) 18 game League Schedule
c) 3 away games Christmas/Holiday tournamemt

Pablo

Hall of Famer
I forgot to add this one

schedule an OOC game near the hometowns of key graduating seniors so their friends and family can see them play locally

so if i look at the current roster
this is not a problem for Josh Oduru
but would be nice if we could do this for Ticket Gaines and Devon Cooper
and we use this as a reucritiong inducement for key freshmen

Larranaga/Miami played near Reading, Pa as part of the deal to get the kid who left and turned pro early

So, Louisville or Bellarmine for Cooper, and Buffalo or Canisius for Gaines.

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
So, Louisville or Bellarmine for Cooper, and Buffalo or Canisius for Gaines.
I definitely would prefer Louisville

and suppose we get a top 20 player out of the portal
Go play in/close to his home town
serves as a key inducement to other future recruits -portal and HS - and expands our fan base, recruiting base and regional name recognition

Pablo

Hall of Famer

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein
·
8m

NEWS: Georgia, UAB, St. Joe's, and South Florida will headline the 2022 Sunshine Slam in Daytona Beach.

fanduel.com
Georgia, UAB, St. Joe's, and South Florida to headline 2022 Sunshine Slam
Georgia, UAB, St. Joe's, and South Florida will headline the 2022 Sunshine Slam in Daytona Beach, multiple sources told FanDuel. There is no timetable on an of

"Legends Classic

Wednesday and Thursday, November 16 and 17: Brooklyn, N.Y.

Participants: Arizona State (Pac-12), Michigan (Big Ten), Pittsburgh (ACC), vcu (Atlantic 10)

Myrtle Beach Invitational

Thursday, Friday, and Sunday, November 17, 18, and 20: Myrtle Beach, S.C.

Participants: Boise State (Mountain West), Charlotte (Conference USA), Colorado (Pac-12), Loyola Chicago (Atlantic 10*), Texas A&M (SEC), Tulsa (American), UMass (Atlantic 10), 1 TBA

Shriners Hospitals Charleston Classic

Thursday, Friday, and Sunday, November 17, 18, and 20: Charleston, S.C.

Participants: College of Charleston (Colonial, host), Colorado State (Mountain West), Davidson (Atlantic 10), Furman (Southern), Old Dominion (Sun Belt*), Penn State (Big Ten), South Carolina (SEC), Virginia Tech (ACC)

Paradise Jam

Friday–Monday, November 18–21: Charlotte Amalie, U.S.V.I.

Participants: Belmont (Missouri Valley*), Boston College (ACC), Buffalo (Mid-American), Drake (Missouri Valley), George Mason (Atlantic 10), Howard (Mid-Eastern Athletic), Weber State (Big Sky), Wyoming (Mountain West)

Hall of Fame Tip-Off​

Saturday and Sunday, November 19 and 20: Uncasville, Conn. (Jon Rothstein, College Hoops Today)

Participants: Maryland (Big Ten), Miami (Fla.) (ACC), Providence (Big East), Saint Louis (Atlantic 10)

Cayman Islands Classic

Monday–Wednesday, November 21–23: George Town, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands

Participants: Akron (Mid-American), Illinois State (Missouri Valley), Kansas State (Big 12), LSU (SEC), Nevada (Mountain West), Rhode Island (Atlantic 10), Western Kentucky (Conference USA)

Empire Classic Benefiting Wounded Warrior Project Presented by Continental

Monday and Tuesday, November 21 and 22: Brooklyn, N.Y.

Participants: Richmond (Atlantic 10), St. John’s (Big East), Syracuse (ACC), Temple (American)

Battle 4 Atlantis

Wednesday–Friday, November 23–25: Paradise Island, Bahamas

Participants: Butler (Big East), BYU (WCC), Dayton (Atlantic 10), Kansas (Big 12), NC State (ACC), Tennessee (SEC), USC (Pac-12), Wisconsin (Big Ten)

Gotham Classic

Friday, November 25: Belmont Park, N.Y.

Participants: Notre Dame (ACC), St. Bonaventure (A 10), others TBA

Hawaiian Airlines Diamond Head Classic

Thursday, Friday, and Sunday, December 22, 23, and 25: Honolulu, Hawai’i

Participants: George Washington (Atlantic 10), Hawai’i (Big West, host), Iona (Metro Atlantic), Pepperdine (WCC), Seattle (WAC), SMU (American), Utah State (Mountain West), Washington State (Pac-12)"

Last edited:

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
I'm interested to see if Wisconsin will do us a solid for last year's debacle. While giving us a home game is probably grasping, at minimum we should get a return trip with a nice hefty guarantee.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I'm interested to see if Wisconsin will do us a solid for last year's debacle. While giving us a home game is probably grasping, at minimum we should get a return trip with a nice hefty guarantee.
Did they pay for our travel expenses?

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Just a public service announcement: I know we like to post tweets on what Rothstein-bot says, however some of us are blocked (yours truly) so I would greatly appreciate the context of what the tweet says.

Yes, I got blocked by Rothstein for making fun of him when he got hacked. What a pussy.

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Just a public service announcement: I know we like to post tweets on what Rothstein-bot says, however some of us are blocked (yours truly) so I would greatly appreciate the context of what the tweet says.

Yes, I got blocked by Rothstein for making fun of him when he got hacked. What a pussy.
1. The Atlantic 10 is NOT a mid-major league.
2. The Atlantic 10 needs to market itself different nationally.
3. The Atlantic 10 needs to identify creative scheduling opportunities for its best teams to have the proper representation in the NCAA Tournament.

Part 1
and many of our posters have said the same or similar things - especially #3

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Part 2
The Atlantic 10 has four Top-50 ish teams --- Saint Louis, Dayton, Davidson, and vcu --- entering next season on the heels of Frank Martin, Archie Miller, and Fran Dunphy joining the league. Best vibes the conference has had in a while.

and with a little luck in the transfer portal lottery we can be in that list

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
1. The Atlantic 10 is NOT a mid-major league.
2. The Atlantic 10 needs to market itself different nationally.
3. The Atlantic 10 needs to identify creative scheduling opportunities for its best teams to have the proper representation in the NCAA Tournament.

Part 1
and many of our posters have said the same or similar things - especially #3
So the same bullshit he posted the other day and posts a lot during the offseason. :)

Part 2
The Atlantic 10 has four Top-50 ish teams --- Saint Louis, Dayton, Davidson, and vcu --- entering next season on the heels of Frank Martin, Archie Miller, and Fran Dunphy joining the league. Best vibes the conference has had in a while.

and with a little luck in the transfer portal lottery we can be in that list
I'm sure he'll say this again at least once lol