2021-22 Schedule Thread

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Now that the last game of 20-21 has been played
Assuming Covid is under control by the fall and we have a full basketball season

Teams can play either 29 regular season games or 27 regular season games plus no more than four games in one multi-team tournament for a maximum of 31 games. Conference and other postseason tournaments do not count against the limit.

In order to get to 31 regular season games, you need to play in these multi-team tournaments.

If this is still correct
1) 18 game league schedule
6 and 6 Home and Away
3 Home
3 Away
set by league

2) 13 game non league schedule
a) 3 or 4 games in a multi team tournament
Anyone know if GMU is playing in one?

3) 9 or 10 games non league schedule
a) anyone know if there are games that are under contract and need to be played this season?
b) A game near the hometown of one of his key recruits?
c) A game vs past employers -Tennessee, Colorado, ?
d) A game against past co-coaches?

Anyone know who Coach English will try to schedule?

I expect that he will schedule one game against a team from the Baltimore area -Morgan, Coppin, UMBC, Towson, or Loyola(?)

Last edited:

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Maine, Morgan state, and chicago state

kidding. Based on last years schedule, and the coaching change there probably aren’t many if any games set. I suspect English will try to get JMU and ODU, but I have no idea what other targets he will have. I would expect him to have at least 2-3 buy games at home.

Id like to see him schedule a MAAC team.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Maine, Morgan state, and chicago state

kidding. Based on last years schedule, and the coaching change there probably aren’t many if any games set. I suspect English will try to get JMU and ODU, but I have no idea what other targets he will have. I would expect him to have at least 2-3 buy games at home.

Id like to see him schedule a MAAC team.
Random, but I’d love to see a home & home with ETSU. KE has the relationship with Des Oliver. ETSU has a great atmosphere historically.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I believe the MWC-A10 challenge will start next season. We were slated to play at San Jose St. I wonder if they will reseed the teams or if they’ll keep the same matchups they cancelled?

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Scheduling is this summer is the first real “show me” moment for Kim. To this point all of the talk has been on point, doing the right things in the recruiting world, now it’s time to put our money where our mouth is and go out and schedule some good games, schedule tourney teams, and get our NET score in a position to pay attention to next February.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
All that to say I don’t want nostalgia games. I don’t care about shitty “CAA grudge matches”. Throw all that stuff out, it’s in the past, get over it. I want to schedule teams that help us make the tournament, or teams that challenge us. If they don’t do either of those things there is no reason to play the game.

All that to say I don’t want nostalgia games. I don’t care about shitty “CAA grudge matches”. Throw all that stuff out, it’s in the past, get over it. I want to schedule teams that help us make the tournament, or teams that challenge us. If they don’t do either of those things there is no reason to play the game.

Definitely would like to see more of a national flavor with obviously a higher quality of opponent...

I think you'll still get a JMU game, and one or two other state games. That's fine, but we don't have to hit everyone local.

Great thing about DC is we can play almost anyone and they'll have alumni in the area.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

I don't disagree. Get JMU and ODU and thats it. No need for those two plus Navy or Towson or W&M etc. I know JMU improved a lot last year and ODU was good. I don't know their NET rankings or anything off the top of my head.

That said, and I am stating obvious, we have to remember there has to be some sort of benefit for not only Mason but the other team as well. Right now, Mason doesn't have much of a benefit other than potential and a new coach. It might not be easy in the short term, but potentially in the long term it will get easier. We know that Paulsen pulled a home and home with Penn State early on so perhaps English can use his connections to do something like that early on. I'm obviously biased but I would love to have another home and home with Penn as I didn't get a chance to go to the Palestra first go round, and I would love a home and home with a team in the northeast.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I've been saying for years, and I know it will probably never happen, but a DC tourney similar to the Big 5 would be awesome. Georgetown, Maryland, Mason, GW, American, Howard, etc... would be great to have in the area. I can always dream.

OP
jessej

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Somebody with access to the new Coach needs to bring up the idea/concept of "The DMV Invitational"

He15man

Starter
I don't know anything about scheduling and what this takes behind the scenes, so I'm not expecting "greatness" out of the gate. Just like recruiting, which takes time to develop relationships, scheduling and logistics can be a nightmare. So I'm giving him some rope here and I'd be happy if he at least schedules competitive games for this coming year - games that will at least prepare us for A-10 competition - with maybe 1 fairly local Power 5 conference team ... like a Georgetown, or Maryland, or UVA/VT, West Virginia, etc. And then next year, I'd like to see none of the useless Queens, or LIU's, or Longwoods... and more of the Loyola Chicagos, Oral Roberts, San Diego States, etc (respected mid-majors) along with at least a couple Power 5 teams for added bang and lift to our SoS.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I don't know anything about scheduling and what this takes behind the scenes, so I'm not expecting "greatness" out of the gate. Just like recruiting, which takes time to develop relationships, scheduling and logistics can be a nightmare. So I'm giving him some rope here and I'd be happy if he at least schedules competitive games for this coming year - games that will at least prepare us for A-10 competition - with maybe 1 fairly local Power 5 conference team ... like a Georgetown, or Maryland, or UVA/VT, West Virginia, etc. And then next year, I'd like to see none of the useless Queens, or LIU's, or Longwoods... and more of the Loyola Chicagos, Oral Roberts, San Diego States, etc (respected mid-majors) along with at least a couple Power 5 teams for added bang and lift to our SoS.
I agree with 99% of this but unless it’s a covid year there is very little benefit in those area P5s playing us. They are already in the area and the recruits come to their schools to watch them play. They don’t want to play a middle of the road mid major that could upset them and ruin their season. If anything we might be able to snag a mid level ACC or SEC team that recruits the DMV to come play at the Pat Dome. That works just fine for me because odds are that mid level team will beat at least one top 25 squad during the year. The LIUs and Longwoods of the world probably won’t beat a top 150 team during the season.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
KE has said that Tony Bennett and Shaka are two guys he claims as friends and mentors. I'm sure they would play us in KE's first year. Even if we have to go on the road. KE really should take the Bobby Boden approach when we first went to FSU, and play anyone anywhere.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I’m sure KE will be able to find plenty of P6 teams that are willing to pay us for a one-off at their place. The question is whether he can get us into home and homes with more competitive opponents ... while I think we all agree Dave scheduled like a low-major and that’s unacceptable for an A-10 program, smart scheduling for NET purposes involves more than just going on the road and getting your face kicked in 5-6 times a season.

There has to be a happy medium.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Definitely would like to see more of a national flavor with obviously a higher quality of opponent...

I think you'll still get a JMU game, and one or two other state games. That's fine, but we don't have to hit everyone local.

Great thing about DC is we can play almost anyone and they'll have alumni in the area.
Agreed, I’m cool with the JMU/ODU or other tune up game, so long as they aren’t the cream of the crop of our OOC opponents. There’s a mix to be found there, I’m hoping this year we see indications that we are taking steps in that direction.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I agree with 99% of this but unless it’s a covid year there is very little benefit in those area P5s playing us. They are already in the area and the recruits come to their schools to watch them play. They don’t want to play a middle of the road mid major that could upset them and ruin their season. If anything we might be able to snag a mid level ACC or SEC team that recruits the DMV to come play at the Pat Dome. That works just fine for me because odds are that mid level team will beat at least one top 25 squad during the year. The LIUs and Longwoods of the world probably won’t beat a top 150 team during the season.
Even if it’s one of those Away-Home-Away game contracts for us, I think we take it. Give me a two for one all day to get UVA back here or Tech in town.

Agreed, I’m cool with the JMU/ODU or other tune up game, so long as they aren’t the cream of the crop of our OOC opponents. There’s a mix to be found there, I’m hoping this year we see indications that we are taking steps in that direction.

Yeah, my understanding is Madison was trying to get a lot of in-state good games for its new building...but COVID.

I wouldn't mind playing there as they're decent and a road win would be helpful and also I like drinking shine in the hills there pregame.

Like everyone says...balance though. Especially with KE possibly set to recruit nationally a little more.