2021-2022 Mason roster

He15man

Starter
I agree he should be able to keep underclassmen engaged and willing to pay their dues — he certainly seems to be a natural at relationship-building. I was talking about guys who have been here 2-3 years and know they have been recruited over … with the new rules there’s no reason to stay and be buried on the bench when you can leave and be immediately eligible somewhere else.
Fair point. that's true.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
I was talking about guys who have been here 2-3 years and know they have been recruited over … with the new rules there’s no reason to stay and be buried on the bench when you can leave and be immediately eligible somewhere else.

Maybe, but that's a pretty small list. It's probably not the Freshmen or why sign in the first place? It's definitely not the portal transfers, or Odurro who CKE pulled out all the stops to keep from leaving. I would also bet against Hartwell who's a Senior.

So of the others, to try and transfer out now, when school rosters (like Mason's) have gotten filled up is a pretty risky move of landing somewhere better.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Maybe, but that's a pretty small list. It's probably not the Freshmen or why sign in the first place? It's definitely not the portal transfers, or Odurro who CKE pulled out all the stops to keep from leaving. I would also bet against Hartwell who's a Senior.

So of the others, to try and transfer out now, when school rosters (like Mason's) have gotten filled up is a pretty risky move of landing somewhere better.
I've never been a fan of Hartwell the player. But KE made at least one very affirming comment about his dedication.
He may not play a lot, but I hope he leaves Mason with his best year under his belt.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I've never been a fan of Hartwell the player. But KE made at least one very affirming comment about his dedication.
He may not play a lot, but I hope he leaves Mason with his best year under his belt.
I have never questioned Hartwell's dedication, attitude, or desire. That being said, it's hard to be excited about a short, skinny, 37.7% career shooter who turns the ball over almost as much as he assists (69-96). I hope he has a hell of a senior season but the proof may already be in the pudding as far as what he really is capable of.

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

I also wonder about the ability to graduate from another university if you transfer after say 3 years and all your credits are not accepted, or there is a minimum credits at that university needed for graduation. If you need 2 years of credit but only have one year of eligibility/scholarship left that could be a reason to stay.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I also wonder about the ability to graduate from another university if you transfer after say 3 years and all your credits are not accepted, or there is a minimum credits at that university needed for graduation. If you need 2 years of credit but only have one year of eligibility/scholarship left that could be a reason to stay.

There will be players who are getting starters minutes and averaging double figures who transfer out and players almost glued to the bench who stay for reasons outside of playing time, and everything in between. It'll be hard to predict who leaves and who stays.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
There will be players who are getting starters minutes and averaging double figures who transfer out and players almost glued to the bench who stay for reasons outside of playing time, and everything in between. It'll be hard to predict who leaves and who stays.
I agree, there's more to a kid's decision than just basketball. Degree. Finances. Comfort level. Location. Friends. Girlfriend(s).

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
So now that the roster looks to be in place, what's the starting lineup look like next year?

Guessing Day 1 could be:
Jamal Hartwell
DeVon Cooper
D'Shawn Schwartz
Davonte Gaines
Josh Oduro

Schwartz & Cooper feel like locks to start w/Oduro a near lock.

Hartwell probably the best option running the point but XJ could push. Cooper averaged 2.4 assists at MSU, but the same in turnovers.

I went w/Gaines but feel it could just as easily be Henry depending on the offense being run and matchups if we needed more size in the post.

I always assume freshmen will come off the bench, so not considering, but would love to be proven wrong. Maybe Mbaye or Jones comes on strong and takes over the PF spot later in the season too.

JPgmuswim

Starter
So now that the roster looks to be in place, what's the starting lineup look like next year?

Guessing Day 1 could be:
Jamal Hartwell
DeVon Cooper
D'Shawn Schwartz
Davonte Gaines
Josh Oduro

Schwartz & Cooper feel like locks to start w/Oduro a near lock.

Hartwell probably the best option running the point but XJ could push. Cooper averaged 2.4 assists at MSU, but the same in turnovers.

I went w/Gaines but feel it could just as easily be Henry depending on the offense being run and matchups if we needed more size in the post.

I always assume freshmen will come off the bench, so not considering, but would love to be proven wrong. Maybe Mbaye or Jones comes on strong and takes over the PF spot later in the season too.
Maybe I’m buying too much into Jones’ Australian stats but I wouldn’t be surprised if he starts, he’s the only one in the team currently playing meaningful games right now. If not starting I’d imagine he’ll be getting starter type minutes off the bench.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Point guard is a question mark, at the start of the season it’s gonna go to whoever put in the most work this off-season I’d imagine, but I also don’t think that will be set in stone and we’ll see English play with some different combos to find what works for his scorers. I don’t see us getting a ton of points out of the PG position so might come down to who’s the best defensively or who can manage a game the best. I’m not ruling anyone out, including the transfers who aren’t necessarily traditional PGs.

Then some combo of Gaines/Schwartz/Cooper, but for some reason I see Cooper ending up in a 6th man situation. Would be nice to have a shooter come off the bench for once.

Oduro is a lock at the 5 and anyone who says otherwise has paid no attention this off-season.

4 is another question mark and I think we’ll see it move around as English. Could see a scenario where we go small and put our best 5 on the court. There’s minutes to be had there for either Freshman to take though. My long shot call is Gadsden takes it, he had a great ending to last season and would be my pick for biggest jump out of our returning players, but tough to tell.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I have a feeling Hartwell might get first crack at starting PG. I haven't heard anything about XJ and have no idea what's going on with him. Polite might win ultimately, but we'll see. All three need to seriously work on their defense.

I can't imagine keeping Cooper on the bench with his shooting and experience. I've got to imagine Oduro, Cooper, and Schwartz are your 2,3, and 5 locked down.

I'm also assuming you meant Henry and not Gadsden (or Frazier)? Henry is going to be needed at the 5 now that AJ is gone. He'll be a nice athletic change of pace from Oduro. But Oduro and Henry are quite literally the only "bigs" on the team. Mbaye looks like he has the frame to be able to play there, so maybe he'll switch between the 4 and 5 as needed?

Frazier is another interesting one who we have heard zero from in the offseason. He did have a couple of good games down the stretch and looked good defensively, but he couldn't really sustain what happened at vcu, so I don't know. I'm assuming he's going to play understudy to Schwartz.

But, yeah, looking at the roster situation, biggest question mark is at the PG and the biggest potential hole looks like at the 4.

Here's what I hope shakes out:

1: Polite
2: Cooper
3: Schwartz
4: Mbaye or Jones
5: Oduro

8-man Rotation players: Gaines, Henry, some guard (Hartwell, XJ, or Frazier).

I have no idea what to make of Gadsden.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I have a feeling Hartwell might get first crack at starting PG. I haven't heard anything about XJ and have no idea what's going on with him. Polite might win ultimately, but we'll see. All three need to seriously work on their defense.

I can't imagine keeping Cooper on the bench with his shooting and experience. I've got to imagine Oduro, Cooper, and Schwartz are your 2,3, and 5 locked down.

I'm also assuming you meant Henry and not Gadsden (or Frazier)? Henry is going to be needed at the 5 now that AJ is gone. He'll be a nice athletic change of pace from Oduro. But Oduro and Henry are quite literally the only "bigs" on the team. Mbaye looks like he has the frame to be able to play there, so maybe he'll switch between the 4 and 5 as needed?

Frazier is another interesting one who we have heard zero from in the offseason. He did have a couple of good games down the stretch and looked good defensively, but he couldn't really sustain what happened at vcu, so I don't know. I'm assuming he's going to play understudy to Schwartz.

But, yeah, looking at the roster situation, biggest question mark is at the PG and the biggest potential hole looks like at the 4.

I did mean Frazier, completely mixed those two up.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

And completely forgot about Henry. If Oduro doesn’t improve his footwork/defense this off-season so he can stay out of foul trouble we might see more of Henry than I’d imagine.

By George.

Starter
Polite
Cooper
Schwartz
Ticket
Oduro

Polite will be good in transition. With more veteran guards around him, he’ll be able to play more loose, he won’t have to bring the ball up every time. He will show an ability to rebound and push/outlet. I like the combo of XJ/Miller/Grey fighting it out for backup PG minutes. I personally think Cooper can play PG, he’ll bring the ball up some.

Cooper is an all around baller. He’s a streaky shooter but his form looks great. He shot 50% from 2, 37% from 3 and 79% from FT. He started and played in 31 games and had games of 8 and 10 threes shot. He is not scared to shoot it. He has some bad stretches last season but he’s been a shooter since high school. We need guys confident to step into 3’s, we’ll take 37% all day.

Schwartz is similar to Cooper but I don’t have a great read on him yet so I’ll just assume he’s kinda tight and will be the Vet we need.

Ticket will lock up on D and fill Miller’s role as a guy active around the bucket. Ticket will get offensive boards and easy buckets. He feels like a vcu player right? Kinda raw, but has that length By G begs for. If he can set the tone defensively and near the glass, give him the position. Let the young guys come off the bench.

Oduro….we get it. I’ve gushed over him enough. No shock to me KE did the same. Talent is top center in the league ceiling.

Bench is looking kinda nice too…

Last edited:

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Polite
Cooper
Schwartz
Mbaye
Oduro

Gaines, Gray (If healthy), Jones

It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. You don't bring in grad students to sit on the bench so IMO Cooper and Schwartz are locks for the starting lineup, as is Oduro. After that a lot can happen. I'm giving the nod to Polite at point and I have very high hopes/expectations for Mbaye. I'm hoping that Frazier III & Henry have improved but I don't think they will be in the top 8. I think we know what we have in Hartwell and Johnson. I'm not expecting Gadsden to contribute much right away. Time and KE will answer all questions.

Last edited:

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Polite
Cooper
Schwartz
Jones
Oduro

Gaines as 6th man will provide tremendous versatility with his ability to guard, allowing Schwartz to slide between 3 and 4 depending on matchups.

At 6-10 with a 3-point stroke and high basketball IQ, Jones is a perfect modern stretch 4 … unless his defense is an absolute nightmare I see no way he isn’t a Day 1 starter because his game is way more advanced than a typical freshman.

This looks to be a damn competitive A-10 squad and I can’t wait for November.

Petey Buckets

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Jones is the one guy that English has referred to as a developmental player, and everyone's got him as a starter or 6th man? I love the potential too but I'll hold out until we hear something different.

In Mbaye's recruiting videos he talks about how he wants to play outside. It's clearly important to him so I think we'll see him at the 3/4 for the most part and almost never at the 5.

Agree that Oduro, Cooper, and Schwartz are the 3 definite starters and after that it's a bunch of question marks. Coach spent a ton of time with Ronny when he got here but then said that Mike Gray reminded him of McKinley Wright. Mbaye looks like the best natural talent remaining but who knows how quickly his game will translate to the NCAA. Ticket is a lockdown defender with two years of experience and a relationship with KE already. However the starting five shakes out, our eight man rotation is gonna be as strong as we've seen since the early Hewitt days.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Jones is the one guy that English has referred to as a developmental player, and everyone's got him as a starter or 6th man? I love the potential too but I'll hold out until we hear something different.

In Mbaye's recruiting videos he talks about how he wants to play outside. It's clearly important to him so I think we'll see him at the 3/4 for the most part and almost never at the 5.

Agree that Oduro, Cooper, and Schwartz are the 3 definite starters and after that it's a bunch of question marks. Coach spent a ton of time with Ronny when he got here but then said that Mike Gray reminded him of McKinley Wright. Mbaye looks like the best natural talent remaining but who knows how quickly his game will translate to the NCAA. Ticket is a lockdown defender with two years of experience and a relationship with KE already. However the starting five shakes out, our eight man rotation is gonna be as strong as we've seen since the early Hewitt days.
I went with Jones assuming KE would like to be able to play Schwartz as a big 3, but it’s certainly conceivable that Gaines starts and Schwartz slides to the 4. Either way I think it’s a pretty strong starting 5 assuming we get any kind of solid PG play