2021 -2022 A10 Conference Predictions

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Richmond 2nd. How old are those guys? Seems like the entire roster has been there since puberty.
F vcu. 3rd? Don't see it with the loss of Hyland and Baldwin. I predict a Mason sweep this year. 8th for us? Meh..... how about 4th! Even with the loss of Mbaye.

I would have been far more confident with Miller on board of cracking into that upper echelon, but prognosis is pretty good--I think somewhere in the 4-6 range is a pretty safe bet. New system there's going to be some growing pains, though I think this team clearly has more postseason upside than last year's team.

Situation at point guard will really determine things. Hartwell and/or XJ really have to step up with Polite possibly limited for a spell and Gray's inexperience.

How bad we beat JMU and how much we pillage Harrisonburg and how many of us end up in the Rockingham County Jail will as always be a big clue as to how the year will go.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
A lot of questions need to be answered before we say this team is a double-bye type of team:

1) Can Gaines be a threat to score?
2) Will one offseason with English turn Oduro into a "man" defensively to go along with his offensive skillset?
3) What happens when Oduro sits?
4) Who will emerge as the x-factor 6th man, if anyone? Hartwell, Frazier, XJ, one of the freshmen?
5) Can Polite become a defensive force and a more consistent distributor? And will his shots start to fall?
6) Can one offseason with English bring a cohesive starting 5 considering three of the 5 will be new to the team?

Predicting 8th seems safe right now.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
A lot of questions need to be answered before we say this team is a double-bye type of team:GG

2) Will one offseason with English turn Oduro into a "man" defensively to go along with his offensive skillset?
4) Who will emerge as the x-factor 6th man, if anyone? Hartwell, Frazier, XJ, one of the freshmen?
5) Can Polite become a defensive force and a more consistent distributor? And will his shots start to fall?
6) Can one offseason with English bring a cohesive starting 5 considering three of the 5 will be new to the team?

Good points, for sure. I'm especially concerned about #6. We've lost a good chunk of our scoring from last year, and even if the new players are better (to be determined), it's quite uncertain how long it will take for the team to get a sense of one another and mesh their strengths.

Although I've been generally impressed with Coach English's efforts to date, he still needs to demonstrate that he can get the team to execute at a high level. I certainly hope he succeeds, but we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that he's a first-time head coach and we're asking a lot if we expect him to deliver immediately once we actually start playing games.

Although it's not quite a fair comparison, one only need to look at Nigeria's upset over USA yesterday to be reminded that having the most talented players in the world doesn't guarantee a successful team.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yeah. We need to have a little patience. Expecting an NIT bid in the first season is tough because the team is going to have to fire on all cylinders in the OOC early and that might be too much of an ask (NIT at-large bids are notoriously hard to come by).

I think a reasonable expectation is for the team to get better as the season progresses and become that team no one wants to play by the tournament, like you look at the bracket and whoever is on the opposite side wishes Mason fell to another team.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
A lot of questions need to be answered before we say this team is a double-bye type of team:

I don’t disagree but beyond the top 3-4 teams the
A-10 is looking not very good for next season … better than 8th might happen just because the league is poo poo

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
If everything breaks right, top 5 Is possible. I expect more of that middle of the pack for year 1. NIT would be nice, but it’s a very tough tournament to get into these days. Either way I expect a very good season, how many wins? Not so sure yet, but I have high expectations for the program now. I don’t expect a rebuilding 10 win season like In Dave’s first year.

That said, a lot of new faces but guys like Cooper and Schwartz have already won so that can only bode well. Lot of variables so really hard to predict year 1.

Last edited:

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
So.....Rothstein has us 13th. Put this one on the bulletin board. He must be a DP apologist and have zero faith in CKE. If this season goes somewhat according to plan, I think we should remind him of this prediction throughout the year.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
So.....Rothstein has us 13th. Put this one on the bulletin board. He must be a DP apologist and have zero faith in CKE. If this season goes somewhat according to plan, I think we should remind him of this prediction throughout the year.

I heard Felton banged his wife. Kept his whistle on too.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR

Hartwell and XJ starting? Bottom 4 would be a major disappointment even with all the changes.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
So.....Rothstein has us 13th. Put this one on the bulletin board.
You would think having not one but two Blake Jones would be worth at least 12th place.

Newcomers: D’Shawn Schwartz (Colorado), Davonte Gaines (Tennessee), Devon Cooper (Morehead State), Joel Kabimba (Stetson), Michael Gray, Blake Jones, TJ Gadsden, Blake Jones

You would think having not one but two Blake Jones would be worth at least 12th place.

Newcomers: D’Shawn Schwartz (Colorado), Davonte Gaines (Tennessee), Devon Cooper (Morehead State), Joel Kabimba (Stetson), Michael Gray, Blake Jones, TJ Gadsden, Blake Jones

Cloning is dangerous literally every movie/show I've seen about it since Michael Keaton tried it says each clone is usually dumber than the last

But at this point I'm willing to try anything

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

he actually never liked Paulsen but this is very mind boggling of a prediction