2020-2021 Schedule Thread

JPgmuswim

Starter
https://gomason.com/news/2021/2/18/...ens-womens-basketball-championship-dates.aspx:

"NEWPORT NEWS, Va. – The Atlantic 10 Conference will adjust the dates of the 2021 Men's and Women's Basketball Championships, moving the majority of the men's championship a week earlier to March 3-6 and the entire women's championship a week later to March 10-14. The men's championship final, which will air on CBS Sports on Sunday, March 14 at 1:00 pm, will be hosted by the University of Dayton.

The Atlantic 10 has been impacted by COVID-19 schedule disruptions as many Division I conferences have. The league is implementing significant COVID-19 risk mitigation and testing protocols in preparing for both championships. Reordering the championship dates allowed the A-10 to reschedule a series of key matchups during the final two weeks of the regular season. Tipping the men's championship on March 3 provides additional play dates and flexibility for the league to adjust to any unforeseen COVID-19 interruption. Beginning the women's championship on March 10 is in response to the later start of the women's basketball postseason schedule. The new championship dates allow for the same national television exposure through the league's media partners, CBS Sports, CBS Sports Network, NBC Sports and ESPN.

'The COVID-19 pandemic has forced the Atlantic 10 to be creative in scheduling and rescheduling throughout the regular season. Altering our championship dates provides additional time for our student-athletes, coaches, support staff and institutions to adjust to additional COVID-19 protocols in preparation for the A-10 championships and postseason play,' stated A-10 Commissioner Bernadette V. McGlade. 'I am so appreciative to our media partners who have all agreed to adjust our television windows and dates, making this concept work. I also commend the Presidents and Athletic Directors for having the foresight to make this adjustment and allow for the flexibility in the dates of each championship.'

Richmond and vcu remain as co-hosts of the men's championship preliminary rounds, but due to facility scheduling, the first round and semifinals will now be played at vcu's Siegel Center. Both the Siegel Center and Richmond's Robins Center will host second round and quarterfinal games as previously announced. The women's championship site remains unchanged, with all games played in Richmond, Va.

Also approved is the seeding policy for both the men's and women's basketball for the 2021 championships. Teams above 60 percent of the median number of conference games played by all 14 teams will be seeded by conference winning percentage. Teams below that 60 percent threshold will be seeded using the NCAA NET ranking, relative to all A-10 teams. Additionally, teams below the 60 percent threshold will not be eligible for the regular season title.
"
Does that mean we may have to wait a week less to rid ourselves of DP?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Can someone explain to me why anyone wants to play a meaningless game between March 6th and the 14th (at least that's how I'm reading that schedule flexibility)?

We also play SLU the day before the tournament begins, so assuming they have a PIG and we are in it, our chances of winning that game go down after having had our butts handed to us by a big and physical SLU team.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Can someone explain to me why anyone wants to play a meaningless game between March 6th and the 14th (at least that's how I'm reading that schedule flexibility)?

We also play SLU the day before the tournament begins, so assuming they have a PIG and we are in it, our chances of winning that game go down after having had our butts handed to us by a big and physical SLU team.

I don’t think there will be meaningless games. I think it’s probably for covid protocol. I believe the slu game will be cancelled and the teams will probably leave once they are eliminated.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

We actually have a better chance of avoiding the PIG by playing fewer games. Not that it really matters either way...

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
We actually have a better chance of avoiding the PIG by playing fewer games. Not that it really matters either way...

yep. At vcu, home to Davidson and at gw. Although they could lose all 3 and not help their chances.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

If I understand correctly, there won't be any games for A-10 teams between March 6th and the 14th.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The A10 is a joke. It’s just another mid-major at this point. Irrelevant

When was it NOT a mid-major conference? It's a multi-bid mid-major conference, always has been.

Maybe the split of the Big East into the Big East and AAC hurt their conference ranking...the strengthening of the WCC outside of Gonzaga has also not helped. But the A10's overall situation has not changed on bit.

I mean, we had a team ranked in the top 10 for most of last season, and this season we've had two separate teams ranked in the top 25, so it's not like the A-10 is the MAC or NEC or something.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
The A10 is a joke. It’s just another mid-major at this point. Irrelevant

I am not sure I follow. The league has a chance to get 2-3 teams in the NCAA tournament and has several teams ranked in the top 100. It always borders on the mid major/BCS level.

If you are just frustrated with Covid and everything else, then I hear you. Hopefully brighter days ahead for the conference and this scheduling fiasco never happens again in our lifetimes.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Agreed, the A10 just isn't getting it done. Mason should move to the SEC, ACC or Big 10. o_O

Naw...we COULD talk about how now that Duquesne is starting to take basketball seriously again, if Mason got its act together, we could jump over the AAC with a pretty nice top 6 or 7 programs.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Naw...we COULD talk about how now that Duquesne is starting to take basketball seriously again, if Mason got its act together, we could jump over the AAC with a pretty nice top 6 or 7 programs.
I think your sarcasm detector is broken. I mean, I even put the smiley in it. Plus, it was a reply to ACW, I mean DJ3.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I think your sarcasm detector is broken. I mean, I even put the smiley in it. Plus, it was a reply to ACW, I mean DJ3.

That was probably more in response to my own sarcastic post I deleted before hitting send than yours really. So yeah, sorry for not showing my work.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
In 2013 the A10
When was it NOT a mid-major conference? It's a multi-bid mid-major conference, always has been.

Maybe the split of the Big East into the Big East and AAC hurt their conference ranking...the strengthening of the WCC outside of Gonzaga has also not helped. But the A10's overall situation has not changed on bit.

I mean, we had a team ranked in the top 10 for most of last season, and this season we've had two separate teams ranked in the top 25, so it's not like the A-10 is the MAC or NEC or something.
Maybe it was just my view. But I used to view the A10 as the 6th best basketball conference. Just outside the p5. Heck in 2013, 6 teams made the NCAA tourney. I was ecstatic when Mason joined.

Now the A10 is canceling games, and I’m just frustrated.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
In 2013 the A10

Maybe it was just my view. But I used to view the A10 as the 6th best basketball conference. Just outside the p5. Heck in 2013, 6 teams made the NCAA tourney. I was ecstatic when Mason joined.

We hear you man. Frustrating times.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
In 2013 the A10

Better than the Big East? The A10 is fairly consistently the 7th or 8th ranked conference with a few anomaly years dipping below that. They are currently ranked 9th, but that's mostly because the top of the WCC (Gonzaga NET 1, BYU 25) and AAC (Houston 8) is so high, the A10 is a deeper conference than either of those this year (7 teams in the t0p 100, 3 in the top 50).

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Better than the Big East? The A10 is fairly consistently the 7th or 8th ranked conference with a few anomaly years dipping below that. They are currently ranked 9th, but that's mostly because the top of the WCC (Gonzaga NET 1, BYU 25) and AAC (Houston 8) is so high, the A10 is a deeper conference than either of those this year (7 teams in the t0p 100, 3 in the top 50).
Good points.
I used to love Big East basketball. Arguably the best basketball conference before the realignment. Times have changed.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Good points.
I used to love Big East basketball. Arguably the best basketball conference before the realignment. Times have changed.

those tournaments at msg with UConn Cuse Georgetown West Virginia etc were always epic. I saw the overtime game between Georgetown and West Virginia in 1999. That was cool.