#14 Luke Hancock

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Clark Kellog and Charles Barkley are brawling about whether Luke Hancock will factor in the second half.

That was great. I think they're both right. Charles is spot on that Luke is overmatched defensively, but I agree with Clark that Luke can still be a factor offensively in the second half.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Luke with 12 points in the second half, and we have our first "crafty" reference by Greg Anthony.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
On the plus side, maybe we can finally see the end of Luke Hancock threads.

Seems like a great kid, but he left us 3 years ago and spent less time at George Mason then Anali Okoloji did.

Cool Disco Dan

Sixth Man
It's a sad indicator of where our program is that there is ZERO bitterness on these boards towards him. Aw, the good ole days when half of us were saying 'F him', 'he's not as good as Sherrod', 'he won't get off the bench at U of L', etc.

Old Man

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
It's a sad indicator of where our program is that there is ZERO bitterness on these boards towards him. Aw, the good ole days when half of us were saying 'F him', 'he's not as good as Sherrod', 'he won't get off the bench at U of L', etc.
There has never been an ounce of bitterness from me. I would have been bitter had Luke followed OCM to the U. As it is, he is a great kid that saw an opportunity when HIS coach left HIM.

I ran into him at the CAA tournament two years ago wearing Mason gear after he left. He may have finished wearing white and red, but he will always be a Patriot to me.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
I'm not bitter at all. He did what was best for him. Who are we to judge that? It's not like we own him or something. If transferring would have been best for me I'd of transferred in a second.

DeepValue

Starter
One thing that wasn't mentioned much is that Luke fouled out the guy who was guarding him. As someone put it (maybe Greg Anthony in response to Barkley) Luke can't guard anyone, but they can't guard him either.)

Credit to Kentucky, but Louisville gave that one a way a little bit. Russ was amazing early on but disappeared at the end.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
On the plus side, maybe we can finally see the end of Luke Hancock threads.

Seems like a great kid, but he left us 3 years ago and spent less time at George Mason then Anali Okoloji did.

If Luke plays in the NBA, I guarantee that there will be another thread about him on this board.

Cool Disco Dan

Sixth Man
I'm not bitter at all. He did what was best for him. Who are we to judge that? It's not like we own him or something. If transferring would have been best for me I'd of transferred in a second.
I'm not saying bitterness towards him is justifiable or reasonable - it's primarily irrational - such as the notion that 'he's transferring to Louisville because he knows he's not as good as Sherrod', which was said on the Zone boards. My point is that our program is so far down, we don't even a single irrational poster (see the vcu boards if you want to know what that looks like) on here bashing the snot out of him.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Dan, I'm just guessing here, but I think people like me spend so much time bashing the coach and (soon to be former) AD, there's just not enough bandwidth left for bashing anyone else.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
One thing that wasn't mentioned much is that Luke fouled out the guy who was guarding him. As someone put it (maybe Greg Anthony in response to Barkley) Luke can't guard anyone, but they can't guard him either.)

Credit to Kentucky, but Louisville gave that one a way a little bit. Russ was amazing early on but disappeared at the end.

If Russ Smith was more interested in winning than being "the man," he would've handled the end of the Kentucky game much differently than he did.

Luke is by far Louisville's best 3-point shooter, and crafty enough to be able to throw a ball fake and perhaps get fouled on a 3-point shot. The ball should've been in his hands with Louisville down 3 in the closing seconds.

But Kentucky knew that Smith's ballhog nature wouldn't let him pass. Instead, with his team's national title defense at stake, Smith forced an off-balance shot over Randle that had very little chance of going in.

Sad that Smith's selfishness cost Luke a chance to at least attempt a game-tying 3.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
If Luke had ended up riding pine at Louisville or some other high-major, and wasting his eligibility and talents, then I might have been mad at him. At the time he transferred, I didn't think he could play at that level -- and he proved me wrong, spectacularly. He made the right choice.

Russ Smith absolutely killed Louisville last night, between his free throw shooting, turnovers, and bad shots. It's actually surprising that his bad decision making didn't hurt them sooner -- I expected it to cost them a game in last year's tournament.

I wonder what's next for him. Will he play overseas? Or might we see him on Kevin Keatts' coaching staff at UNCW?

GMU_DCU

All-Conference
How could anyone bash Hancock? He played his heart out for Mason when he was here, and has always had nothing but nice things to say about the university. He is is a fighter a competitor and saw a chance to prove himself and took a chance and it worked out pretty damn well for him.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
image.jpg

I miss those days... :(