1 Hour!

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
tenor.gif

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Not trying to be the turd in the punch bowl, but let's temper expectations w/the hype. New coaches, new players, new system, all coming together for the first time.

In the first 10 games
Stony Brook is picked to win the America East in the pre-season coach's poll.
Morgan State picked #2 in MEAC w/5 All Conf. Players.
Maryland is ranked #21 nationally and at home w/Big10 Refs.
Washington is still a Pac-12 team and that conference crushed in the tourney last year.
Nevada returns Steve Alford is in his third season at UN and brings back all five starters from a solid team, plus add a Top 50 recruit.
SDSU received 33 of 36 votes to win the Summit League.
Navy is picked a respectable third in the Patriot League.
Georgia is still an SEC team, playing at home w/SEC refs, and Tom Crean can coach.

Last edited:

Old Man

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Not trying to be the turd in the punch bowl, but let's temper expectations w/the hype. New coaches, new players, new system, all coming together for the first time.
Not sure why editing is needed up, but here goes ....

Normally I would agree with the above statement, but there are two players who transferred in who know CKE and have played for (as an assistant) him. Now, it's only two, but that's 40% of the players likely to be on the court to start the game.

I think this is a critical distinction that gets overlooked when people talk about new coach, new system, so temper expectations. I'm not saying we are going to be world beaters here, but I am saying it's not the typical arrangement when you have a new coach.

Last edited:

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR

Not trying to be the turd in the punch bowl, but let's temper expectations w/the hype. New coaches, new players, new system, all coming together for the first time.​

In the first 10 games​

Stony Brook is picked to win the America East in the pre-season coach's poll.​

Morgan State picked #2 in MEAC w/5 All Conf. Players.​

Maryland is ranked #21 nationally and at home w/Big10 Refs.​

Washington is still a Pac-12 team and that conference crushed in the tourney last year.​

Nevada returns Steve Alford is in his third season at UN and brings back all five starters from a solid team, plus add a Top 50 recruit.​

SDSU received 33 of 36 votes to win the Summit League.​

Navy is picked a respectable third in the Patriot League.​

Georgia is still an SEC team, playing at home w/SEC refs, and Tom Crean can coach.​

Quentin - your analysis and facts are sound. No disagreement.​

But - screw it - I want to be unreasonably happy.​

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Eh to be fair, this is still kinda a DP schedule. We played all of these teams under DP, the exception is that we scheduled a second P5 in Georgia and dropped the random Longwood/MEAC game. Our SOS still isn’t gonna be much higher than most DP years I’d imagine.

I would guess a lot of these contracts were handed to English. We will get a better idea of how he wants to schedule in the next two seasons.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Eh to be fair, this is still kinda a DP schedule. We played all of these teams under DP, the exception is that we scheduled a second P5 in Georgia and dropped the random Longwood/MEAC game. Our SOS still isn’t gonna be much higher than most DP years I’d imagine.

Agreed - but who cares. We will get back into a full season of Mason basketball with a new coach, assistant coaches, program, attitude, and a great initial set of new recruits.

I am ready. Full Bore. No reservations. Let's set the bonfire, open some beers, get crazy, win some games and burn some couches.

Go Mason.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
And to be clear, I'm not saying don't get hyped. I am. Really looking forward to what CKE puts on the floor this and the next few seasons.

But what I am saying is that if the success isn't immediate out of the gate on Day 1, let's not go all doom & gloom immediately. Some growing pains are inevitable and I think most of us would hear the names Morgan State, Stony Book, and South Dakota State and go well $hit, that's a cake-walk, guaranteed 3-0 right there. But those are all three veteran teams who may have a talent gap (don't know for sure) but have played together. And Nevada may be a more talented team.

Fun fact. Of the 7 commits in Georgia's 2019 Class which was ranked #11 nationally, not one is still with the program.

Anthony Edwards (5-Star #2 Natly) - MN Timberwolves
Christian Brown (4-Star #70 Natly) - TN State Univ
Jaykwon Walton (4-Star #83 Natly) - MS State
Savhvir Wheeler (4-Star #100 Natly) - Kentucky
Toumani Camara (4-Star #103 Natly) - Dayton
Rodney Howard (3-Star) - GA Tech
Michael Peake - Austin Peay

SEC as a whole has some pretty crazy turnover

SEC BASKETBALL ATTRITION
Team: Portal + NBA Draft = Total

Georgia: 9 + 0* = 9
LSU: 5 + 4 = 9
S.Carolina: 6 + 3* = 9
Texas A&M: 9 + 0 = 9
Miss. State: 7 + 1 = 8
Arkansas: 5 + 2 = 7
Florida: 4 + 3 = 7
Missouri: 7 + 0 = 7
Tennessee: 4 + 3 = 7
Vanderbilt: 6 + 1 = 7
Alabama: 2 + 4 = 6
Auburn: 4 + 2 = 6
Ole Miss: 5 + 1 = 6
Kentucky: 2 + 3 = 5

TOTALS: 75 + 27 = 102

He15man

Starter
I'm okay with the normal DP schedule so long as we beat them and perform like a legitimate Division 1 team should.... there's literally no reason why the Longwoods, VMIs, Norfolk States, etc should be in games - let alone winning. We should be mollywooping these programs by 20 or 30 and playing deep into our bench. If we're not, then that's a convo for a different day. But I expect a KE-coached team to be much more active and lethal on both sides of the floor, and finally using these early cupcakes as glorified scrimmages - just like the P5 teams do...