Giving Day 2024

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Moving this to the top of the thread by changing the date:

Since Giving Day 2024 / Vision Day 2024 is tomorrow...

Info can be found here: https://alumni.gmu.edu/s/1564/GID2/16/interior-1colb.aspx?sid=1564&gid=2&pgid=7999

As far as any questions on whether we should be focused on giving for Vision Day or for NIL- there will be a separate NIL Giving Day in June, with a special event with the basketball teams. I will create a separate thread on that when it is announced.

For now, as much as we want to focus on NIL, giving to the program is important as well. Anything helps. As far as basketball goes - here are some matching campaigns that I hope we can help unlock.

- Head Women's Basketball Coach Vanessa Blair-Lewis has pledged $1,000 if Women's Basketball achieves its goal of 50 donors on Vision Day.

- Head Men's Basketball Coach Tony Skinn has pledged $2,000 if Men's Basketball achieves its goal of 110 doors on Vision Day.

- @99 Patriot has volunteered to match anyone who posts up to $2500- just DM him that you donated and the amount, and put it in the notes when you donate.

If we end up with any specific matching campaigns like we did last year with @99 Patriot and @gmubrian I will update this post / thread.

Last edited:

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
So the email went out today advertising Mason’s Giving Day, which is on April 4 this year.

I notice there is a “basketball renovation” option all the way at the bottom of the page in addition to the standard “friends of X sport” options: https://alumni.gmu.edu/s/1564/GID2/16/interior-1colb.aspx?sid=1564&gid=2&pgid=7998
That’s been around for years, which makes me question where that money actually went.

I’ll try to see if I can find out if that is going to the 15m we need going forward, which it should.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
Basketball Renovation I believe is for the upgrades they are doing for the RAC. They are basically redoing everything. Here are some of the basketball specific upgrades (there is more that includes new facilities for not just basketball, but for all athletes).

This is on the 2nd floor. In this first pic you can see the new lobby in the top left which includes a "Wall of Fame"/"Hall of Honor". There will be programmable interactive touch screen stand along display and a 65" tv in this area with lounge chairs. Past that you have the locker rooms, restroom/showers, and a lounge/fueling station for both mens and womens teams. Also on this level is the training room and office, and a wellness/recovery room. The video editing room and the strength/conditioning are also on the 2nd floor, along with two seperate basketball courts that are separated so both teams can practice at the same time which you can see at the bottom:

RAC - 2nd Floor.png

This second pic is of the 3rd floor. Up here is where you have the coaches offices. Each coach will have their own space. Director of Basketball Ops gets a larger office and there will also be a kitchen area for everyone. Head coach gets a new office with full bathroom/shower. The head coaches offices will have a glass wall looking down over the practice courts. Also looking down over the practice courts is the new conference rooms for both teams. The last nice addition up on the third floor is the viewing/recruiting deck. It will hang over and overlook the practice courts as well and have couches where you could sit and watch practice. The wall behind will have a large video wall. A great place to bring recruits.

RAC - 3rd Floor.png

This last pic shows an outside view with, "An optional paved roof terrace with planters
and a permanent built-in shade structure provides an outdoor extension for coaches and/or athletes to
celebrate special events." I hope they decided to do this, would be a cool place for the team to hang out.

RAC - Outside.png

Anyway, you can get an idea of what everything will look like. The days of bringing recruits on campus and being embarrassed of our facilities are over.

Last edited:

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Basketball Renovation I believe is for the upgrades they are doing for the RAC. They are basically redoing everything. Here are some of the basketball specific upgrades (there is more that includes new facilities for not just basketball, but for all athletes).

This is on the 2nd floor. In this first pic you can see the new lobby in the top left which includes a "Wall of Fame"/"Hall of Honor". There will be programmable interactive touch screen stand along display and a 65" tv in this area with lounge chairs. Past that you have the locker rooms, restroom/showers, and a lounge/fueling station for both mens and womens teams. Also on this level is the training room and office, and a wellness/recovery room. The video editing room and the strength/conditioning are also on the 2nd floor, along with two seperate basketball courts that are separated so both teams can practice at the same time which you can see at the bottom:

View attachment 2206

This second pic is of the 3rd floor. Up here is where you have the coaches offices. Each coach will have their own space. Director of Basketball Ops gets a larger office and there will also be a kitchen area for everyone. Head coach gets a new office with full bathroom/shower. The head coaches offices will have a glass wall looking down over the practice courts. Also looking down over the practice courts is the new conference rooms for both teams. The last nice addition up on the third floor is the viewing/recruiting deck. It will hang over and overlook the practice courts as well and have couches where you could sit and watch practice. The wall behind will have a large video wall. A great place to bring recruits.

View attachment 2207

This last pic shows an outside view with, "An optional paved roof terrace with planters
and a permanent built-in shade structure provides an outdoor extension for coaches and/or athletes to
celebrate special events." I hope they decided to do this, would be a cool place for the team to hang out.

View attachment 2208

Anyway, you can get an idea of what everything will look like. The days of bringing recruits on campus and being embarrassed of our facilities are over.
Any idea on a completion date?

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
So the email went out today advertising Mason’s Giving Day, which is on April 4 this year.

I notice there is a “basketball renovation” option all the way at the bottom of the page in addition to the standard “friends of X sport” options: https://alumni.gmu.edu/s/1564/GID2/16/interior-1colb.aspx?sid=1564&gid=2&pgid=7998
$0 for the fund as of today.

I would like to see a plan of action to really go after corporate donors for this renovation. Understand this is what Katie was hired to do yet still no action plan in place from my understanding. AD Lewis mentioned they want to provide better transparency in to garnering more funds and support for athletic initiatives..... well this would be a good starting point to lay out the plans of attack.

Tick Tock Marvin

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
$0 for the fund as of today.

I would like to see a plan of action to really go after corporate donors for this renovation. Understand this is what Katie was hired to do yet still no action plan in place from my understanding. AD Lewis mentioned they want to provide better transparency in to garnering more funds and support for athletic initiatives..... well this would be a good starting point to lay out the plans of attack.

Tick Tock Marvin
Looks like they only have a target goal of 15 donors for the basketball facility, so I’d hope they are planning to send out a more detailed comms to a targeted audience that would be more likely to give significant money (corporate, big donors, etc)

But on top of that, we know every single dollar counts for athletics (especially at Mason) so still wish they’d be more communicative around specific needs and projects vs. these generic funding buckets…especially on what’s supposed to be one of their biggest giving days of the year.

Katie is still new to the dept so hopefully impactful changes are coming soon.

HoopsAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Is there a "best" or recommended way to donate this year? What would the program prefer?

Do we split our donation $ equally amongst "basketball renovation", "friends of men's basketball", and the Patriot Collective? or some other strategic split?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Is there a "best" or recommended way to donate this year? What would the program prefer?

Do we split our donation $ equally amongst "basketball renovation", "friends of men's basketball", and the Patriot Collective? or some other strategic split?
Can’t speak for the program, but Mason should be encouraging people to donate to the collective first. The facilities arms race is so yesterday — to be able to get players you have to be able to put cash in their pocket.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Can’t speak for the program, but Mason should be encouraging people to donate to the collective first. The facilities arms race is so yesterday — to be able to get players you have to be able to put cash in their pocket.
I agree, it's Collective first in my eyes. I think my dollar works a lot harder in that bucket than anything else. I know exactly what it's going to be used for and how critical it is to be competitive in that area.

I also don't think the university is actually looking for the average fan to donate to the Basketball Facility. If they were, they wouldn't bury it (with zero details) on a list of 15+ other generic funding buckets. I'd imagine they are targeting a higher profile/corporate base to accomplish what they need there.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I also don't think the university is actually looking for the average fan to donate to the Basketball Facility. If they were, they wouldn't bury it (with zero details) on a list of 15+ other generic funding buckets. I'd imagine they are targeting a higher profile/corporate base to accomplish what they need there.
Yeah, I have to admit that I don't feel like my donation toward something like the practice facility is going to make a difference unless there is a highly visible public campaign to recruit hundreds of small donors and get them to make similar sized contributions. Show me a savvy campaign to target smaller donors, and I'll do my part (and maybe more).

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Since Giving Day 2024 / Vision Day 2024 is tomorrow...

Info can be found here: https://alumni.gmu.edu/s/1564/GID2/16/interior-1colb.aspx?sid=1564&gid=2&pgid=7999

As far as any questions on whether we should be focused on giving for Vision Day or for NIL- there will be a separate NIL Giving Day in June, with a special event with the basketball teams. I will create a separate thread on that when it is announced.

For now, as much as we want to focus on NIL, giving to the program is important as well. Anything helps. As far as basketball goes - here are some matching campaigns that I hope we can help unlock.

- Head Women's Basketball Coach Vanessa Blair-Lewis has pledged $1,000 if Women's Basketball achieves its goal of 50 donors on Vision Day.

- Head Men's Basketball Coach Tony Skinn has pledged $2,000 if Men's Basketball achieves its goal of 110 doors on Vision Day.

If we end up with any specific matching campaigns like we did last year with @99 Patriot and @gmubrian I will update this post / thread.
I'm willing to once again do a $2,500 match for any board posters that contribute to men's hoops for Vision Day. I think last year we had folks mention Masonhoops in the comments of their donation, but with the PC a little shorthanded, you can also just shoot me a message with what you've donated and I'll count it. The honor system is good by me.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
34 donors and 5130 raised- hopefully we can hit that 110 goal to get the match from Coach Skinn.