Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

Coronavirus Pandemic Impacts

Discussion in 'George Mason Basketball' started by Pablo, May 13, 2020.

1. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

https://guhoyas.com/news/2020/5/22/mens-basketball-a-statement-from-georgetown-athletics.aspx:

"WASHINGTON – Georgetown University's Head Men's Basketball Coach Patrick Ewing has tested positive for the COVID-19 virus. Ewing has elected to share his diagnosis publicly to emphasize that this virus can affect anyone.

'I want to share that I have tested positive for COVID-19. This virus is serious and should not be taken lightly,' Ewing said. 'I want to encourage everyone to stay safe and take care of yourselves and your loved ones. Now more than ever, I want to thank the healthcare workers and everyone on the front lines. I'll be fine and we will all get through this.'

Ewing is under care and isolated at a local hospital. He is the only member of the Georgetown men's basketball program to have tested positive for the virus."
  2. tblack33

tblack33 Starter

I hope so, at least first dibs should go to full season ticket packages. I wonder how many season ticket holders there were last season?
  3. sleeperpick

sleeperpick All-American

The board in the pat dome that had all of our names on it was not very big lol
  4. tblack33

tblack33 Starter

There’s dozens of us! Literally dozens!
    gmutom and sleeperpick like this.
  5. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources...fall-championships-continues-despite-covid-19:

"The membership is aware of the sense of loss student-athletes felt with the cancellations announced in March of the remaining 2020 winter and spring championships. Preliminary consideration is being given in hopes of avoiding that type of scenario again.

'We are in early discussions right now of looking at "Does it make sense for us to move up the regular season and try to conclude fall championships on, around or before the week of Thanksgiving?’” Comstock said. 'If we can, and it makes sense, we certainly would like to have a complete experience for the student-athletes this fall.'

On Wednesday, the Division I Council voted to allow football and basketball student-athletes to participate in on-campus voluntary athletics activities beginning June 1, as long as all local, state and federal regulations are followed. On Friday, the Council voted to allow voluntary athletics activities in all Division I sports beginning June 1."

[​IMG]
    Last edited: May 22, 2020
  6. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

7. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

[​IMG]

Brett McMurphy
    @Brett_McMurphy

·
    2h

Michigan Pres. Mark Schlissel tellls @WSJ, UM won’t have a football season this fall unless all students back on campus for classes & he has “some degree of doubt as to whether there will be college athletics [anywhere], at least in the fall.”
  8. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

https://hoopdirt.com/the-list-college-athletics-teams-cut-sports-suspended-and-schools-closed/:

"NCAA D1 Schools eliminating teams
    NCAA D2 Schools eliminating teams
    Colleges + leagues suspending athletics, altering schedules
    NCAA D1

Mid-American Conference (MAC) eliminates post-season league tournaments for:

• Baseball
    • Softball
    • Men’s Soccer
    • Women’s Soccer
    • Men’s Tennis
    • Women’s Tennis
    • Women’s Lacrosse
    • Field Hockey
    Men’s and women’s basketball, volleyball, swimming, golf, and track & field all alter their tournament formats to include less teams in some cases, and less days for others. Complete details HERE.

NCAA D2

NCAA D2 as a whole reduced sport maximums, and reduced minimum games played by 33% for 2020-21

Sport-by-sport recommended maximums for the 2020-21 academic year only HERE.

California Collegiate Athletic Association – canceled all fall sports competitions

CCAA schools which are affected include:

• Cal Poly Pomona
    • Cal State Dominguez Hills
    • Cal State East Bay
    • Cal State Los Angeles
    • Cal State Monterey Bay
    • Cal State San Bernardino
    • Cal State San Marcos
    • Chico State
    • Humboldt State
    • San Francisco State
    • Sonoma State
    • Stanislaus State
    NJCAA

*There is at least one JUCO in New England and potentially an entire group of colleges in the Midwest that have suspended or will suspend sports for a year. More on these shortly.

Colleges closing permanently (some announced pre-COVID-19 outbreak, but listing them as well).
    NCAA D2

NCAA D3

NAIA

NJCAA

9. Five Two

Five Two All-Conference

Here is a short piece on Wofford athletics that finishes with:
    "For us, we have a huge athletic endowment, around $45 million. That money goes solely to scholarships, and that relieves the annual pressure of having to raise that money. Because of that, I think we're positioned well."
    How does a school that small, with little national athletics history, have that much? I'm impressed.
    https://www.wyff4.com/article/wofford-ad-anticipates-social-distancing-at-gibbs-stadium/32663528
    jessej and mason89 like this.
  10. mason89

mason89 Starter

I'm impressed as well. I think it helps, though, that they've been around since 1854 and have an impressive alumni with deep pockets.
    jessej and gmujim92 like this.
  11. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

https://woffordterriers.com/news/20...es-cost-containment-measures-for-2020-21.aspx:

"SoCon Announces Cost Containment Measures for 2020-21

The measures include:

- Reducing the number of teams qualifying for conference championships to the top four teams in the regular season in the sports of men's and women's soccer, volleyball, men's and women's tennis, softball and baseball;

- Scaling back on conference championship expenses while ensuring quality and memorable events;

- Reducing all conference baseball series from three days to two;

- Reducing the men's and women's golf championships from three days to two;

- Adjusting in-person coaches' meetings and the conference's fall meetings to virtual events;

- Adjusting in-person football and basketball media days to virtual events;

- Identifying other potential savings concepts that each institution can implement per its preference."
  12. Five Two

Five Two All-Conference

I'm too lazy to search for it, who are these alums?
  13. Pablo

Pablo Hall of Famer

14. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

Way more endowments than we've gotten started, that's for sure. I've said for awhile we should set as a goal to have every single one of our scholarships endowed here. The problem is our infrastructure is pretty crappy passed a few things (the RAC is nice, the Aquatic Center is top notch, EBA is adequate, I haven't seen what the Field House looks like since it has been renovated) and needs to take priority.
    jessej likes this.
  15. tblack33

tblack33 Starter

I wonder how much it costs to endow an athletic scholarship? We tried to endow a scholarship through Mason for a pledge brother that passed away a few years ago and the math Mason sent us back to do a named endowed scholarship just didn’t add up. The number of years times the amount we wanted it to pay out per year was somehow 50% less than what they were asking for.

Can’t remember the exact numbers now but I remember it being something like we wanted to pay out 2k per year over 10 years and they were asking for 40k or something for a named scholarship and we had no say in the requirements or who it went to.
    sleeperpick likes this.
  16. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

I'm not sure what the endowment size would have to be to endow every athletic scholarship at Mason, but according to Mason's own website "to name an endowment requires a gift of $25,000," this is might be different than starting a new endowment?"

Also, apparently there is an $8 million funding limit set by the NCAA. From Giving to Mason: "Our goal is to fill the gap between the levels of currently funded scholarship in our 22 sports ($5.5 million) and the maximum number allowed by the NCAA ($8 million)." One of Mason Athletics top priorities supposedly is to fill this gap (who knew?) The other two are the continued construction of the basketball practice facility and the academic support center.
  17. CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY

CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY All-American

This sounds completely Mason.
    GMUgemini likes this.
  18. sleeperpick

sleeperpick All-American

They were complete pieces of shit regarding this topic.
  19. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

That's a shame, especially for an honorarium. I've only ever worked on the donation side of a non-profit one time and you'd never catch us dead forcing conditions on an honorarium donation.
  20. sleeperpick

sleeperpick All-American

Like tblack said they were making outrageous requests. Just pour in money to them each year to endow it and then that’s it, no choice in winner, no choice in qualifications of winner, etc. The responses we got back seemed rather cold for the situation as well. Very disappointing. We were a bunch of 23 years olds trying to do something good and it felt like a slap in the face. We could have done the scholarship privately for cheaper if we went that route.