Welcome to MasonHoops.com

Jump in to the discussion! Sign up is easy, we want to hear what you have to say!

2020 Recruiting

Discussion in 'George Mason Basketball' started by Pablo, Feb 23, 2017.

1. sleeperpick

sleeperpick All-American

The freshman who is about to get every P5 team on the planet to offer him? Good luck with that
  2. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

Does Cox even recruit New England? He has zero players on his roster from New England. His offers for 2021 include only two, both from the same school in Massachusetts.
  3. sleeperpick

sleeperpick All-American

If a kid was good enough in his backyard I’m sure he would recruit them. His personally hotbed is DMV where he scoops up all the kids he wants and leaves (similar to Penn St in football).
  4. mkaufman1

mkaufman1 Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn’t hold your breath. Kid is a frosh and has p5 schools after him.
  5. FreeGunston12

FreeGunston12 Starter

I know nothing. But it doesn't change the hypocrisy of those swearing by offers and ranking our commits Polite, Henry, Kolek - the exact opposite of the how I'd rank them based on their offers (not that I would).

If other offers are what you think matters, then so be it. Live by your own words. If not, then don't claim that is how we should judge recruiting.

(I'm not talking specifically to sleeperpick. If he has a trusted connection, great. I actually appreciate the insight.)
  6. sleeperpick

sleeperpick All-American

other offers aren't end all be all and this is not exactly a science. For every Steph Curry there is also a Pat Holloway and Erik Copes. But, routinely beating out CAA and lower schools for recruits and Sister Mary Catherine's School of the Deaf (shoutout to @Patriotsince81 ) is probably not going to cut it since we haven't really seen at Mason that Paulsen can turn these kids into game changers (he did well with Shevon and Marquise in limited time and Otis obviously). You have to look at it multiple ways. If you find good coaches and programs going after these kids you probably have a higher likelihood they pan out. @gmujim92 said Polite was receiving Power 5 inquisitions after he signed LOI with Mason so he very well could be #1 in class like most of our fans are saying (I know none of this to be fact but honestly I mostly trust it).

Henry played in a very similar class to Kolek other than it wasn't private school (weaker competition). Henry also had a couple decent offers. If he played in New England I am pretty sure other A10 teams would have offered. (I am excited over him because he is a freak athlete and those don't grow on trees. Also glad Paulsen finally respects AJ enough to utilize how good the kid is and hope Henry can mold his game off AJ's.
    FreeGunston12 and Patriotsince81 like this.
  7. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

With the roster as-is, with no Kier (assuming he doesn't, in fact, come back) and no grad transfer guard or JUCO guard to take his place on the roster, I'd say Kolek and Henry probably have the most opportunity to "earn minutes" right away (although maybe Dady is in this conversation too), but also I expect to see a lot of XJ and Hartwell on the floor together and Miller playing some back-up 4 minutes with Boyd on the floor.

So, the hope is the freshmen get to be freshmen this year and ease into college basketball without being thrust into a too prominent role and we can start arguing about how good or how bad we will be when all of these seniors graduate after next season based on some actual data on these four/five freshmen.
  8. Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81 All-Conference

It's Sister Treasa's School for the Blind and Our Lady of Perpetual Sorrow!!!!!!
    sleeperpick likes this.
  9. masonjoe

masonjoe Starter

GW just landed an SEC transfer but that can’t be possible according to gmujim....
  10. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

GW has a very young roster and tons of immediate playing time to offer. We have neither.

What I said is it’s hard to find a grad transfer who is willing to come to a place like Mason and not be a starter. That is true.

If you’re going to try to rub my nose in crap, at least be like @sleeperpick and do it when I’m clearly wrong.
    tblack33 and JPgmuswim like this.
  11. sleeperpick

sleeperpick All-American

first off thank you... but lastly, why would a big man (5) GT not want to come in here and go get the starting position. Oduro not a starter quite yet on a good A10 team. 3-4 of our other starters are A-10 starters. go get a big man GT
  12. gmujim92

gmujim92 Hall of Famer

Agreed, the 5 spot is the one where we could use some immediate help. But those guys are hard to find, most go to P5s and I don’t know that we should risk another Reuter situation that adversely affects Oduro’s development.

A lot to consider...
  13. GSII

GSII Hall of Famer

Reuter could of been avoided with a simple workout.
    DJ3 likes this.
  14. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

Vanderbilt...
  15. GMUgemini

GMUgemini Hall of Famer

I think Oduro might develop faster if he was practicing against another big who had legitimate post moves. Calixte can give him a physical presence on defense, but he’s not going to challenge Oduro on the other side too much.
    DJ3 and tblack33 like this.
  16. sleeperpick

sleeperpick All-American

Vanderbilt and LSU lol. you are always like 5 hours Late with information lol
  17. Masonfan3

Masonfan3 Sixth Man

Sherrod Wright might be on my Mount Rushmore. He may not have been a top 4 player at Mason but I loved his game and he was solid. Like I said, not a top 4 player but was probably one of my most favorite players to watch.
    DJ3 likes this.
  18. FreeGunston12

FreeGunston12 Starter

Thats how I feel about Cam Long. I just kept waiting and hoping Sherrod would turn into Cam Long. He almost did, but never quite got there for me.
    DJ3 and Masonfan3 like this.
  19. FreeGunston12

FreeGunston12 Starter

And by "there", I mean onto my Mt Rushmore. He was a fantastic player and is very close for me.
    Masonfan3 likes this.
  20. mkaufman1

mkaufman1 Moderator Staff Member

https://watchstadium.com/top-20-college-basketball-transfers-who-can-play-in-2020-21-03-24-2020/

12) Rapolas Ivanauskas, 6-10, 230, PF, Grad, Colgate
    Stats: 13.1 ppg, 7.6 rpg
    Scout’s take: “Can play the four or the five. Can pick and pop, pick and roll, capable 3-point shooter who is very aggressive in the post and can score over either shoulder and either block, but he’s best when his isolated on the right block. Will back you down and usually it’s not coming back out.”

dave better be calling this kid...when I see

6’10
    Pick and pop
    Three point shooter
    Aggressive in the post

good grief.
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    GMU1983 and tblack33 like this.