Where Are They Now?

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
A source has informed me that High Point has Jon Arledge coming out to their game at Longwood today.

One step closer to that inevitable NBA career. I wonder if a certain former head coach of ours who recruited Arledge to Mason had anything to do with setting up this meeting with a certain former assistant of ours.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
One step closer to that inevitable NBA career. I wonder if a certain former head coach of ours who recruited Arledge to Mason had anything to do with setting up this meeting with a certain former assistant of ours.

Yes, if Arledge winds up at High Point, the reputation of a certain former head coach will take yet another hit I think.

What would be great is if Arledge commits to High Point and then we fire Hewitt and hire Cherry. That would be interesting.

High Point won again last night...Arledge if he was there got quite a show...They won 85-59 over Longwood. Tied with VMI at 10-4 in the Big South. Cherry (and Dorsett) are going pretty well down there. IF they make the NCAA I wonder if a step up in conference is in store for them?

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
High Point won again last night...Arledge if he was there got quite a show...They won 85-59 over Longwood. Tied with VMI at 10-4 in the Big South. Cherry (and Dorsett) are going pretty well down there. IF they make the NCAA I wonder if a step up in conference is in store for them?

From Scott Cherry's High Point bio: "Featuring a style similar to his playing days at UNC, Cherry's players push the ball up the court, move the ball quickly and play pressure defense." Last night in the victory at Longwood, High Point tied the program D-I record with 26 assists including 11 by a freshman PG.

While trying to stay positive, I can't properly express how I wished Mason had hired Scottt Cherry as the head coach. If Jonathan Arledge receives an offer from High Point and Scott Cherry is still the head coach there, I highly recommend that he accepts it.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Pablo, you know TOC wasn't going to hire someone from the Coach L pipeline. Just wasn't going to happen (even if it made too much sense -- even hiring one of the assistants who were currently here).

It's not too late to get him after this season, although if Cherry manages to get High Point to the NCAA, and especially if he wins a game, he's going to get offers from schools with much higher profiles than us.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Pablo, you know TOC wasn't going to hire someone from the Coach L pipeline. Just wasn't going to happen (even if it made too much sense -- even hiring one of the assistants who were currently here).

Actually, I don't believe this. Rather, I believe that TOC was overly impressed with Hewitt's intellect, and ignored all of the signs of coaching deficiencies (particularly after Hewitt lost his best assistants).

Last edited:

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Yes, if Arledge winds up at High Point, the reputation of a certain former head coach will take yet another hit I think.

What would be great is if Arledge commits to High Point and then we fire Hewitt and hire Cherry. That would be interesting.

Agreed on this. I had heard that L heavily recruited against Mason after he left, so this only goes in line with that theory. A friend of mine used to hear this from someone who used to be with the program and told me about it.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Supposedly Arledge was in Harrisonburg visiting JMU and is a done deal to transfer there next year if the internet is to be believed.

http://csnbbs.com/thread-680082.html

If JA's back is healthy, he could really help JMU. They're worse in the frontcourt than we are, so you'd imagine there would be plenty of playing time available.

Wish things would've worked out differently for him at Mason, but what can you do?

Nick

Four-star Recruit
1. Saw Whack's shot on SC this morning. Glad he's doing well.

2. I thought that Arledge wanted to sit out this year and join an ACC team? Maybe got his letters a bit confused? Or just realized that nobody at that level wanted him and hopefully Hewitt told him to go f off.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
2. I thought that Arledge wanted to sit out this year and join an ACC team? Maybe got his letters a bit confused? Or just realized that nobody at that level wanted him and hopefully Hewitt told him to go f off.

Between the ACC, CAA, and AAC, it's tough to choose

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I predicted JMU or Towson...

To qualify under the NCAA loophole of needing a unique major not offered at a player's previous school, Arledge's decision will ultimately come down to whether he wants to major in Blue Crab Philosophy at Towson or Cattle Intercourse & Reproduction at JMU.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
To qualify under the NCAA loophole of needing a unique major not offered at a player's previous school, Arledge's decision will ultimately come down to whether he wants to major in Blue Crab Philosophy at Towson or Cattle Intercourse & Reproduction at JMU.

After injuring his back in the car accident, perhaps Jonathan is interested in JMU's graduate school program in kinesiology.

Last edited:

smccart5

Starter
I'm confused...why is he transferring? I thought it was to go to a better school? Now he may go to high point (which i've never heard of before this thread) or JMU?

I can understand if he got an offer from UNC or something, but this? Did PH tell him to screw off and then JA realized he had no legit offers?