What's your starting lineup?

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
I hope Edwards gets to sit, but I don't think it's likely. Hewitt is holding on to the hope that Edwards is good at something.

Edwards has to play. Moore can't play 40 minutes. He can't even play 30 minutes yet, he'll be worn out and is only a freshman. Edwards needs to play and eat up some minutes, as there are no other options at PG unless Allen moves there which doesn't seem to be Hewitt's plan (and it shouldn't be).

It's disappointing that Edwards has played ineffectively so far this season. When he is in the game he needs to just play mistake-free basketball, get the ball to the appropriate people, and occasionally knock down some jumpers. He can't try to do too much, which I think might be a part of his problem so far this season.

Moore has been terrific though, great surprise.

gmuEX

Preferred Walk-On
Edwards has to play. Moore can't play 40 minutes. He can't even play 30 minutes yet, he'll be worn out and is only a freshman. Edwards needs to play and eat up some minutes, as there are no other options at PG unless Allen moves there which doesn't seem to be Hewitt's plan (and it shouldn't be).

It's disappointing that Edwards has played ineffectively so far this season. When he is in the game he needs to just play mistake-free basketball, get the ball to the appropriate people, and occasionally knock down some jumpers. He can't try to do too much, which I think might be a part of his problem so far this season.

Moore has been terrific though, great surprise.

Alright, relax, haha. I didn't say to not play Edwards, I meant don't start him. Let Moore be the starter and Edwards back him. Even Allen should run the point over Edwards, when healthy. 5'9" isn't going to cut it in this bigger competition.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I hope Edwards gets to sit, but I don't think it's likely. Hewitt is holding on to the hope that Edwards is good at something.

You really show your ignorance when you say the kid is good at nothing. I've been critical of some aspects of Corey's performances (like his 4 TOs Saturday), but he also scored five points, dished out three assists and grabbed two boards. He shot 50-percent from behind the arc last year, which would have been 3rd in the NCAA had he had enough attempts.

While I think Marquis should continue to get more and more minutes, it's foolish to say Corey shouldn't be playing (especially with Allen out). He just needs to reduce the TOs, take the open shots when he has them, and continue to play good defense.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
I agree with you. I think Moore will eventually take over the starting spot, but at that point Edwards is still needed to play some effective minutes.

Allen should only be running the point in dire situations. He needs to be off the ball, driving through the lane, and knocking down shots. If Moore continues to play well we shouldn't need Allen to play minutes at the 1.

gmuEX

Preferred Walk-On
You really show your ignorance when you say the kid is good at nothing.

Woah message board police.... I forgot your opinion is always right and I'm just ignorant and always wrong. I bet you voted for Obama too.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm just ignorant and always wrong.

Ok, now we agree on something. I know you want to make a splash here, just try to support your arguments if you are going to trash one of our players. We all agree Corey's can be a liability at times, but the reality is that he also has to play and there are some good things he does. We just have to hope the good outweighs the bad.

gmuEX

Preferred Walk-On
Ok, now we agree on something. I know you want to make a splash here, just try to support your arguments if you are going to trash one of our players. We all agree Corey's can be a liability at times, but the reality is that he also has to play and there are some good things he does. We just have to hope the good outweighs the bad.
Perfect example why our fan base is sub-par. We accept mediocrity. 4k show up to a UNI game and leave happy when CE turns the ball over 4 times in 20 minutes. It's embarrassing.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Perfect example why our fan base is sub-par. We accept mediocrity. 4k show up to a UNI game and leave happy when CE turns the ball over 4 times in 20 minutes. It's embarrassing.

What has anybody said that leads you to believe we accept mediocrity? I even brought up the four turnovers before you did, so I'm obviously not happy with everything he did. But were we supposed to leave the Patriot Center unhappy because a player was careless with the ball?

Hewitt probably screwed up by not recruiting another PG, but he has no choice but to play Corey at this point. Supporting a kid does not equate to accepting mediocrity. We have no choice but to hope he gets better, because there are no other options on the bench.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
If Corey would just avoid the 50 foot lobs to teammates that aren't remotely open, he'd be a perfectly acceptable backup PG. He's justtrying to do too much, goes for the home run play, and gives up te basketball equivalent of a pick-6.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Here's the thing.

1) We started off on an 8-0 run against UNI with Corey starting. He may not be putting up monster numbers, but it's not like he's sabotaging the games either.

2) Sometimes with an inexperienced player like Moore, it's best to bring him in off the bench, let him study the opponent without pressure, let the coaches figure out what the opposing team is trying to go and then get him ready to come in.

3) His height is meaningless. If you want proof, just go to the UMass game later in the year and then tell me Chazz Williams can't play D1 basketball because he's 5'9.

OP
Petey Buckets

Petey Buckets

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Corey's height would be meaningless if he was an intelligent ballhandler like Chazz Williams. Until he stops dribbling directly into traps or picking up his dribble 40 feet from the hoop, it will continue to be a liability. It's not really the number of turnovers that concerns me, it's that almost every single one of them is the result of a bad decision.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Absolutely agree Petey. And if we're getting pressed consistently, he'd be the first person I'd yank off the floor if I were the coach, but I wouldn't necessarily throw Moore to the wolves yet either. Let him ease into that.

In a well executed press scenario (when fully healthy), I'd like to see:

Allen
Holloway
Sherrod
Marko
Arledge

This could very well wind up being our starting lineup by the 10th game of the season.

OP
Petey Buckets

Petey Buckets

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Agreed. I think when our backcourt is fully healthy Corey's time gets squeezed by Moore.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
You really show your ignorance when you say the kid is good at nothing. I've been critical of some aspects of Corey's performances (like his 4 TOs Saturday), but he also scored five points, dished out three assists and grabbed two boards. He shot 50-percent from behind the arc last year, which would have been 3rd in the NCAA had he had enough attempts.

Let's not forget that he drew the charge on Tuttle (his 5th foul), which at the time was a key play. Tuttle was scoring against our bigs and they already had a number of fouls and were having trouble defending him.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Great point. Corey has always had a knack for drawing charges. I think that's one of the ways his size actually helps him. Big guys like Tuttle see Corey defending them, and don't take him seriously, and he just stands his ground and BOOM!

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Just trying to keep up. So we are now back to the normal definition of "fully healthy" instead of the definition that somehow excludes Arledge.

Yes, I would like to think that when the team is fully healthy it includes everyone, right?

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Yes, I would like to think that when the team is fully healthy it includes everyone, right?
Agreed. Just making sure since earlier in the thread, fully healthy seemed to have a definition that somehow excluded Arledge.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Agreed. Just making sure since earlier in the thread, fully healthy seemed to have a definition that somehow excluded Arledge.

Several of us have questioned Siegfried's semantics regarding "when healthy," so I think it's safe to assume he knows something he's not sharing with the rest of the class.

Bricker

Starter
This whole if healthy/not healthy exchange deserves an eye-roll. Unfortunately, this purple smiley labeled "rolleyes" does not fully convey my feelings regarding this tedious thread: :rolleyes: