What Would You Do?

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
How can you say next year is a make or break season when we lose so much experience after this year? I almost feel like he has a greater chance to earn an extension after a NIT appearance this year. Another NIT next year and its a slam dunk AD will extend him. He drinks the AD's cool-aid, runs a clean program. We are making more money in A10 even if we lose every single game. Life is good in Patriotland, for some.

You guys should just pull your massive $1200 yearly donations and then just show up to the Chevy Showroom and say you were going to buy Vettes but Paul Hewitt and Tom O'Connor.

God I hope some of you leave the Patriot Center until Hewitt is gone. Lesser food lines and more heckling opportunities for me.

If any of you Internet complainers had any balls you would set one of yourselves on fire in protest of Hewitt. Deadspin would pick that up and TOC might notice.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Doesn't Kathy support the U now?

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
As much as I am bummed at the performance so far this season I still would attend every home game if I could. I came down from CT for the Northern Iowa game and didn't want to leave Fairfax because of Mason Basketball.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
We are making more money in A10 even if we lose every single game. Life is good in Patriotland, for some.

It is my understanding you have to win in the A10 to get paid.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
It is my understanding you have to win in the A10 to get paid.

In A10 the NCAA tourney units are split 75%-25% with the school getting the 75. In CAA it was 60-40 to the conference. We have to make it to the dance to see any of that cash.

However, I was reffering to the additional revenue brought to us via the tv deal. I think each A10 school gets around 300-400k off that. As Caberra hinted, that's money we are using to pay the exit/entry fees over the next 3-5 years.

Anyone wonder what we did with that last NCAA check for 900k? Did Merten yank it out of TOC's hand to pay the past due note on the Mason Inn? Inquiring minds want to know.

KAOriginal

All-American
For goodness sakes....you dont pull your donations or stop going just because Hewitt and Co. stink. Its about the name on the front of the jersey.

Stop donating and you lose the REAL ability to call TOC and complain. Its like politics....you donate you get the politican's ear, not just some voter who sends a letter to complain.

But I could see where being a bottom feeder A-10 team and RPI drag.....its easy to to start missing random games and only show for when the "BIG NAMES" show cause that No Va traffic is awful.....

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
I believe it's fair to conclude that despite all of the ranting on this board about the Hewitt era, almost all of the posters (including me) will remain committed to the program. This is what diehard fans do, particularly when its your school.

There is one question that I still have: Are there any women posting to this board?

Last edited:

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Did this thread just take a turn towards creepy?

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Asking for a friend...

No, I'm just wondering why it seems that all of the posters are men. Given the number of women at games, wouldn't you expect to have some of them posting to this board? I know there were posts from women on our previous board, although infrequently.

Last edited:

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
I've been skeptical of Paul Ball II since the hiring and nothing I've seen has really changed that much. That said, this was supposed to be the decisive year and we're not even into league play yet. There's been suspensions, injuries, and we've lost our 3rd most important player from the second half of last season.

Some of you need to chill out a bit, breathe, and observe. You don't have to apply lips-to-taint and go Axelrod on anyone who criticizes Hewitt the way GMUTom has the past 3 seasons, but let Hewitt sink his own ship and don't try and drill holes in the bottom of the program. There's still a chance he'll right this program and turn things around.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
You don't have to apply lips-to-taint and go Axelrod on anyone who criticizes Hewitt the way GMUTom has the past 3 seasons ...

Hugh, just to be clear, I have absolutely no problem with people criticizing Hewitt, TOC, Merten, Coach L or even Thuc Phan when it is warranted. And other than Thuc, much of the criticism is definitely warranted.

What gets old is when the same five one-note posters make every single comment and thread about the coach — especially after a win. GMUJim is one of our most educated posters here, and he went almost 30 straight posts without mentioning a single player's name in one of his posts.

Your point about Hewitt salvaging or sinking his own ship is actually very accurate. Contrary to your belief, I have no ties or allegiance to Hewitt or his staff other than wanting Mason basketball to be successful. You'll probably recall that I was called a Coach L apologist on many occasions for defending him as well.

I know this isn't a popular stance, but I think Hewitt deserves the five years to prove himself. If he can't do it, then we need to find somebody who can. And if a change is made, I'll support that coach as well.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Tom,

I appreciate your restraint in responding to a poster who continues to denigrate your reputation on the board.

Last edited:

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Sorry, Tom. We either shit or get off the pot on Hewitt in four years or flush two more years down the toilet. You can't have a lame duck and recruit anyone worth a crap.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Sorry, Tom. We either shit or get off the pot on Hewitt in four years or flush two more years down the toilet. You can't have a lame duck and recruit anyone worth a crap.

I agree with this. There's no way we'll be better offensively, but with the supposedly tough-minded defensive players we bring in next year coupled with seniors Copes and Marko we should see a much better defensive team. If Hewitt can't get the defense right in year four it's time to look elsewhere