Goodbye Keyshawn Hall

MASONscott

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023

PATRIOT TRIVIA​

Screen_Shot_2024-01-04_at_10.51.36_AM.png

In Wednesday’s win at La Salle, Keyshawn Hall recorded his eighth double-double of the season with 27 points and 13 rebounds.

Where does that rank nationally in double-doubles?

TRIVIA ANSWER​

Screen_Shot_2024-01-04_at_10.53.19_AM.png

Answer: Sixth.

Hall’s eight double-doubles are tied for the sixth-most in the country by any Division I player. He is tied with Hampton’s Kyrese Mullen as the most by an underclassmen. They are the only two underclassmen to rank in the top-30 nationally in double-doubles.

Defensive Rebounds seem to be the "Key" to Hall's overall game and his double doubles. He presently ranks 12th nationally in defensive rebounding %.

They are not the same player, but in this category, he is similar to Marquis Moore who finished 2017 ranked 11th nationally in defensive rebounding %.

per Kenpom

undertherock

Preferred Walk-On
While I normally agree it’s all about the NIL. But in a couple post game interviews, hall raves about Skinn. Skinn has built a special relationship with Hall, and hopefully that relationship is strong enough to keep Hall in Fairfax until he declares for the NBA.
I would be very shocked to see Hall transfer away from Coach Skinn. He's only leaving him for the draft

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
To the two of you who gave my dribble comments on Key a thumbs down, I have two comments:
1) If you were perceptive you would have caught that it was a humorous play on the preceeding comment about him learning to pass with two hands.
2) If you had continued to read you would have understood that and gone back and deleted your thumbs down.
Pay attention people.

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
To the two of you who gave my dribble comments on Key a thumbs down, I have two comments:
1) If you were perceptive you would have caught that it was a humorous play on the preceeding comment about him learning to pass with two hands.
2) If you had continued to read you would have understood that and gone back and deleted your thumbs down.
Pay attention people.

Me disliking this post is as predictable as GMU79 going full snowflake and complaining about people disliking his post and telling them to pay attention, while requiring assistance to find out there is a widely publicized sarcasm font that was made expressly for him.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Me disliking this post is as predictable as GMU79 going full snowflake and complaining about people disliking his post and telling them to pay attention, while requiring assistance to find out there is a widely publicized sarcasm font that was made expressly for him.
Baby get his feelings hurt? Poor thing.

Last edited:

JPgmuswim

Starter
And why it is so important how the multiple transfer waiver ruling plays out.

If players have to sit a year (baring a hardship waiver) after a 2nd transfer, that would really help us retain our transfers like Hall, until at least when they graduate.
I see Hall leaving after next season with 2 options, he gets good enough to get drafted, or he takes enough credits in the summers to graduate early. He’d then become GT eligible and the NIL packages from P5’s would be impossible to match. Regardless we gotta enjoy the time he’s here.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I see Hall leaving after next season with 2 options, he gets good enough to get drafted, or he takes enough credits in the summers to graduate early. He’d then become GT eligible and the NIL packages from P5’s would be impossible to match. Regardless we gotta enjoy the time he’s here.
Pretty sure the courts said kids can transfer unlimited. Its tabled until end of season but doubtful they change it. That means we probably lose the whole team. Which sucks.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Pretty sure the courts said kids can transfer unlimited. Its tabled until end of season but doubtful they change it. That means we probably lose the whole team. Which sucks.
I hope not. Maybe they will love Tony, playing together, winning, and Mason.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

I’m going to go out on a limb and say Hall won’t have 100 credits after two years, which is what he’d need to even have a shot at taking enough summer classes to graduate.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

It’s the waiver rule that is under threat not the entire transfer apparatus. The court may just force the NCAA to rewrite the rules (that is if they don’t want chaos).

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Don’t get me wrong, I want the players to do what’s best for them, but it’s not fun being a fan if the best players always leave.

If Hall transfers, I might be done with college sports.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Don’t get me wrong, I want the players to do what’s best for them, but it’s not fun being a fan if the best players always leave.

If Hall transfers, I might be done with college sports.

If Billy Lange can keep Erik Reynolds, Lynn Greer and Cameron Brown around with the kind of seasons they’ve gone through so far (and none of them would have even needed a waiver) I’ve got to imagine Skinn has a good shot keeping this roster to stay.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
It’s the waiver rule that is under threat not the entire transfer apparatus. The court may just force the NCAA to rewrite the rules (that is if they don’t want chaos).
Correct. And with no waiver needed, players can leave whenever they want. Therefore, an SEC school can buy our entire team. Not likely but they can poach a good amount. Wouldn't you leave for 300k? Or more.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Correct. And with no waiver needed, players can leave whenever they want. Therefore, an SEC school can buy our entire team. Not likely but they can poach a good amount. Wouldn't you leave for 300k? Or more.

It could also go the other way…no waivers for any reason—the easier path is to eliminate an arbitrary set of exceptions with a rule with no exceptions (eliminate the subjectivity).

And it really depends. The one thing Skinn preaches is trusting his players and giving them freedom on offense (so long as they give him discipline on defense). It’s why Amari and Keyshawn have far exceeded expectations for what they would do this season. If your goal is to reach the NBA, you have to have a platform to showcase your skillset. Would Keyshawn have the same freedom in a different role at a different school? Hard to say. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn’t.

FlPatriot

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
It could also go the other way…no waivers for any reason—the easier path is to eliminate an arbitrary set of exceptions with a rule with no exceptions (eliminate the subjectivity).

And it really depends. The one thing Skinn preaches is trusting his players and giving them freedom on offense (so long as they give him discipline on defense). It’s why Amari and Keyshawn have far exceeded expectations for what they would do this season. If your goal is to reach the NBA, you have to have a platform to showcase your skillset. Would Keyshawn have the same freedom in a different role at a different school? Hard to say. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn’t.
Great points and I agree. Hall has shown great discipline with the weight loss so I imagine he’s a long term thinker. 300k vs entry level NBA salary…think he’ll opt for delaying gratification and if no nba he’ll surely make more overseas.

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
If Billy Lange can keep Erik Reynolds, Lynn Greer and Cameron Brown around with the kind of seasons they’ve gone through so far (and none of them would have even needed a waiver) I’ve got to imagine Skinn has a good shot keeping this roster to stay.
I was going to make the same point but you beat me to it. Only thing I'd add is Rasheer Fleming is the biggest "prize" on SJU's roster and their fan base is terrified he's going to declare for the draft after this year. Reynolds can start for any team in the country and is also headed to the NBA. It is truly remarable how bad Lange is at strategizing and coaching, given how much talent he has on that team.

Back to Hall. Doesn't he need to demonstrate he can hit the 3 pt shot at a decent clip before he becomes a serious NBA prospect? He scores a lot of points attacking the basket, which gets a lot tougher at the next level.