Welcome Justin Kier

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I'm not sure if it bothers me more that Justin likes JMU or that Stephen doesn't give his aunt some money so she doesn't have to work (unless of course she chooses to do so, which is fine).

I don't know, everyone should probably use MC Hammer as a cautionary tale about helping too many people once you become famous. That guy had his whole neighborhood on his payroll.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Is it surprising to anyone else that evidently Justin did not receive an offer from JMU?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Seriously? That's who we're competing with for recruits?

I'm not too worried about that, Isaiah Jackson, for instance, had offers from Middle Tennessee State, Georgia Southern, and Mason..and he's now at Providence after a pretty nice freshman season here.

DeAndre Abrams had no D1 offers and he can clearly play at this level -- I'm not sure how much of a star he will be, but he can certainly contribute.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
I'm not too worried about that, Isaiah Jackson, for instance, had offers from Middle Tennessee State, Georgia Southern, and Mason..and he's now at Providence after a pretty nice freshman season here.

DeAndre Abrams had no D1 offers and he can clearly play at this level -- I'm not sure how much of a star he will be, but he can certainly contribute.

True, there are plenty of exceptions. I'd just like to win a recruiting battle with an A-10 school. Realistically I know somebody going to UNC or Duke isn't coming here, but I'd like to set our goals higher than out-recruiting a Sun Belt Conference level school. Excluding intangibles and growth and maturity, all things being equal a player who chooses us over GW, vcu, and UMass is going to be better than a player who chooses us over Kennesaw State, Longwood, or Wofford.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
True, there are plenty of exceptions. I'd just like to win a recruiting battle with an A-10 school. Realistically I know somebody going to UNC or Duke isn't coming here, but I'd like to set our goals higher than out-recruiting a Sun Belt Conference level school. Excluding intangibles and growth and maturity, all things being equal a player who chooses us over GW, vcu, and UMass is going to be better than a player who chooses us over Kennesaw State, Longwood, or Wofford.

Well, Ian Boyd chose us over Virginia Tech football...that ain't too shabby.

MasonCrew

Starter
I've had these concerns as well. Obviously you can build a great team with underrated players (Mason 2006) but we need to be at least competing with players in our conference to have consistently good teams. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't want us to be going against Longwood as out closest competition for starters.

liem.le.3388

Starter
Well those were just his offers up to his junior year. Who knows what other schools would have jumped on board if Mason didn't lock him up already.

Dawgs99

Starter
We show that we've turned the corner and we will be in the mix for higher level players....but Mason has made a living on the over looked/under recruited kids for years. Grayer had a pretty decent offer list. You gotta believe that DP and staff grabbing the kids they did so late in the process, especially Abram and O that had exactly zero D1 offers and look like they we be at least a part of the rebuilding process shows they're recruiting ability. I think we'll be fine in the recruiting department.

Last edited:

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Hewitt was getting players that were getting offers from ACC, PAC 12 and Big 10. Didn't mean shit.

Hewitt took the lazy approach to recruiting:

Look for the highest available ESPN ranked kids and go after them. Doesn't matter if we already have five 6 foot 7 forwards, if there are two more available, go get em' because ESPN/Rivals etc.. can't be wrong.

The Coach L and hopefully Paulsen's approach:

Recruit for a specific need. We're building a puzzle. Not all recruits have to be corner pieces.

Last edited:

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
We show that we've turned the corner and we will be in the mix for higher level players....but Mason has made a living on the over looked/under recruited kids for years. Grayer had a pretty decent offer list. You gotta believe that DP and staff grabbing the kids they did so late in the process, especially Abram and O that had exactly zero D1 offers and look like they we be at least a part of the rebuilding process shows they're recruiting ability. I think we'll be fine in the recruiting department.

Grayer was going to prep and Paulsen convinced him to reclassify...good sales job.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
I really wasn't trying to start a discussion on the effectiveness of Coach Paulsen's recruiting. Rather, I thought it was surprising that a talented guard like Justin who lives near Harrisonburg and is a fan of JMU evidently did not receive an offer from the school.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
When you take over a team that is a bottom feeder in the A10 you will need to prove your coaching chops before you steal anyone from anybody. I think he is doing a great job for only having been here 8 months. Breathe.

I 100% endorse everything Paulsen is doing, has done, and is laying the foundation for in the future. There isn't a bigger Dave fan than me. I was just saying that I didn't like being in recruiting battles with lower D1 schools. That's it.