Goodbye Josh Oduro

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
While anything outside of a pile of poo would be preferable to the Mason Shooting Star logo, I am not a fan of GM as our logo, especially when combined with that font.

EDIT: I have rethought my comment. I think I WOULD prefer a pile of poo over the shooting star.
Yes, the GM logo is better, but not ideal.
Plus, why not have an angry Patriot logo too? SO much could be done!!

OP
Patriot8

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I love the GM logo. Hope to see it incorporated more.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
I love the GM logo. Hope to see it incorporated more.
To continue to beat this dead horse, the GM logo is great. Classic and easily recognizable unless you live in the middle of the Pacific Ocean like I do, and then no one knows what you're talking about.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
To continue to beat this dead horse, the GM logo is great. Classic and easily recognizable unless you live in the middle of the Pacific Ocean like I do, and then no one knows what you're talking about.
So you going to the Maryland game?

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
So you going to the Maryland game?

If someone wants to pony up my airfare, I will absolutely do it:

1637021564595.png

Yes, those are first class seats. No, I will not compromise.

Dawgs99

Starter
This may be controversial, but IMO Josh already has a better offensive game than either Evans or Thomas. I'm not saying he's the better player of the 3, as the other 2 were significantly better in most other categories as of this moment. Will Thomas is my all time favorite Mason player, nobody got more out of their ability then WT. I still remember him hitting Larry Sanders with the drop step spin for a nasty dunk his senior year like it was yesterday!

Last edited:

Masonfan3

Starter
This may be controversial, but IMO Josh already has a better offensive game than either Evans or Thomas. I'm not saying he's the better player of the 3, as the other 2 were significantly better in most other categories as of this moment. Will Thomas is my all time favorite Mason player, nobody got more out of their ability then WT. I still remember him hitting Larry Sanders with the drop step spin for a nasty dunk his senior year like it was yesterday!

Love Josh and what he has turned into offensively. But to be mentioned as the best big in Mason history he is going to need to continue playing like he is offensively and improve on his rebounding. Right now he is probably an average rebounder...Also, please don't forget about Ryan Pearson. Guy was undersized but was unstoppable down low. My top three would be 1. Evans 2. Thomas 3. Pearson with Will being a close 2nd.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
It's really tough to compare -- because as good as good as Evans and Thomas were, it was a much different game then. Also the level of competition that we are facing now absolutely dwarfs what Evans and Thomas played against in their time. Not quite an apples to oranges comparison -- but definitely trending in that direction.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
It's really tough to compare -- because as good as good as Evans and Thomas were, it was a much different game then. Also the level of competition that we are facing now absolutely dwarfs what Evans and Thomas played against in their time. Not quite an apples to oranges comparison -- but definitely trending in that direction.
But our pre conference season this year isn't that much different from past years and it's this year that we're seeing Josh as a dominant one-on-one big man. And don't forget Will's Final Four run against UConn and their bigger guys who were drafted in the NBA. And he was only a sophomore at the time.

Granted the game may be different. Maybe we can all be grateful that Josh is on track to be an all-conference player and go down as one who improved the most during his time at Mason.

FreeGunston12

All-American
Had to show Oduro love!

Dude came into Mason from Paul VI Hs just 3 miles from campus and no rating *'s, worked his a$$ off to become a beast and possibly the best big in mason history. Yes, I know about George Evans. I think Josh will pass him when it's all said and done!
Man, it is so hard to compare guys across eras (even from just 10 years ago) and without Josh having played in a whole lot of truly meaningful games.

If Josh continues his current level of production, he has a chance to have a really impressive career (especially with the extra year of eligibility).

But I'm not ready to put him in with the top tier of Mason bigs (Evans, Thomas, Pearson) just yet. We even have a pretty impressive 2nd tier of bigs with guys like Lewis (why does he always get left out of those conversations?), Morrison, etc.

And then there are those before my time like Jones, Gaddy, Dykes, Tucker, Alford, etc. that are pretty impressive by the numbers.

He probably belongs in that 2nd or 3rd tier of Mason bigs for now. Putting distance between himself and guys like Thompson, Jenkins, Young, Monroe, Wilson, which is a huge compliment/accomplishment with two and a half years of eligibility left.

Remember when the top 50 plays of the decade was put out? Would love if someone did a top 50 players in mason history. Bill Rohland did top players by decade a few years back.

Petey Buckets

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I dunno why we have to go from loving Josh Oduro to saying he's better than Will Thomas. Will was OUTRAGEOUS. Never made a shot more than 8 feet away from the basket, but never had to because his game was so clean in the post. An absolute murderer in the halfcourt who was perfect for his era and Larrañaga's system.

Josh still turns the ball over too much, isn't as good a rebounder, and doesn't pass out of the post particularly well. I suspect he'll get much closer to the NBA than Will ever did because of his size and shooting, but Will was one of the truly exceptional college players I've ever had the privilege of watching. Josh is very good, but not on that level yet.

Junkees9

Sixth Man
I really like Oduro. He has made great strides since he came to Mason. But please, George Evans was in a class by himself -- 3-time conference player of the year, a complete stud. Literally, a grown man playing among young men -- Evans was 26 when he started at Mason. I've been going to Mason games for over 30 years, and Evans was our best big man ever. #2 -- Will Thomas. Totally agree with PeteyBuckets and FreeGunston.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
I dunno why we have to go from loving Josh Oduro to saying he's better than Will Thomas. Will was OUTRAGEOUS. Never made a shot more than 8 feet away from the basket, but never had to because his game was so clean in the post. An absolute murderer in the halfcourt who was perfect for his era and Larrañaga's system.

Josh still turns the ball over too much, isn't as good a rebounder, and doesn't pass out of the post particularly well. I suspect he'll get much closer to the NBA than Will ever did because of his size and shooting, but Will was one of the truly exceptional college players I've ever had the privilege of watching. Josh is very good, but not on that level yet.

Hey now, Will made a 3 against South Carolina during the Old Spice Classic. I remember it because it was very weird to see him do that.

1639776188993.png

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
He banked that shot. He was stuck on the perimeter with the shot clock running down. He was 1-1 that year, right?