Welcome Coach Tony Skinn!

illayin

Sixth Man
4 star 2024 class Micah Robinson is/was being recruited by Seton Hall and Sam Houston. No idea if Skinn had any involvement in his recruitment since that would have been when he was a freshman-sophomore. Didn't see any crossover between Maryland/OSU and Sam Houston recruits.

He15man

Starter
After I donated, I got an automated email from....JO.
They probably should fix that.
Ugh.... attention to detail man. Attention. to. detail.

This is the kind of thing that an AD obviously won't have on his or her radar, but it's certainly something that would get addressed (or simply not be an issue to begin with) with the right person at the helm. Look forward to getting someone in who'll create a culture of accountability.

FreeGunston12

All-American

This is the kind of thing that an AD obviously won't have on his or her radar, but it's certainly something that would get addressed (or simply not be an issue to begin with) with the right person at the helm. Look forward to getting someone in who'll create a culture of accountability.
Wouldn't this be outside the AD'S purview?

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023

As I have mentioned before, the AD is not involved in the NIL collective in any way. This is a volunteer run thing. Technically, Josh is still the chairman. It is on the list to have the email changed.

He15man

Starter
I suppose that's a good point. Not sure where the line gets drawn with this kind of thing. The way I've read about and understood it (across college athletics... not just Mason) is that these kinds of programs are not necessarily RUN by the AD, but they work very closely and have influence because it directly impacts the sports programs. I've always assumed that some of the mechanics and ops are supported by the AD since they're tied at the hip, and the daily business is kept separate. but i could be wrong.

KAOriginal

All-American
Either way....the Mason Athletic Department has and continues to be 3rd rate at best.

Like I don't know...it's not entirely necessary to have to have EBA to hold his press conference. But we might get around to it by October.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I know its fun to make shit up, and say that "Oh Mason is going to have a study on when to have the press conference. Maybe we'll hear the results by the end of the year if at all". I do it too. :)

In reality, Tony is probably still in Houston and the press conference will be this week sometime or at least announced. I'd be surprised otherwise.

Last edited:

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I suppose that's a good point. Not sure where the line gets drawn with this kind of thing. The way I've read about and understood it (across college athletics... not just Mason) is that these kinds of programs are not necessarily RUN by the AD, but they work very closely and have influence because it directly impacts the sports programs. I've always assumed that some of the mechanics and ops are supported by the AD since they're tied at the hip, and the daily business is kept separate. but i could be wrong.
The school can’t donate to the collective, but the athletic department can embrace its existence and should take a much more active role in its operations. Expecting volunteers who already have full-time jobs to run something like this and be able to keep up with the workflow is unrealistic and frankly ridiculous.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
The school can’t donate to the collective, but the athletic department can embrace its existence and should take a much more active role in its operations. Expecting volunteers who already have full-time jobs to run something like this and be able to keep up with the workflow is unrealistic and frankly ridiculous.

Who runs other schools' collectives?

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
3edaf3fe-2415-4e29-99dd-3f921777b8cf_text.gif

He15man

Starter
I just know the University of Florida, for example, has a whole staff hired to focus on NIL. Their collective is run outside of the AD, but it still has a ton of school support and involvement. So not that i'd expect the same level here at Mason... but that's why it got me thinking the AD is/or should be more involved than it already is.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
As I have mentioned before, the AD is not involved in the NIL collective in any way. This is a volunteer run thing. Technically, Josh is still the chairman. It is on the list to have the email changed.
Would be interested in your insight into the charter of the collective -- my main question this offseason has been surrounding our transfers out. Are they still drawing checks from the collective even though they have transferred and committed to a new university?

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Would be interested in your insight into the charter of the collective -- my main question this offseason has been surrounding our transfers out. Are they still drawing checks from the collective even though they have transferred and committed to a new university?
The money is, essentially, allocated per school year. So they are not getting anything didn't already "earn" while finishing up this year at Mason. I believe all payments were made well before the end of the basketball season, but, I'd have to check on that to be 100% sure of that last statement.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

I don’t think you could legally ask AD staff to be operating the collective’s operations. Hiring a staff would most likely have to come out of the collective’s revenue (aka donations).

From what I can see, the AD has its own thing going helping athletes find NIL opportunities called PhenomeNIL: https://express.adobe.com/page/AUAlG9a1IfOZF/

Whether or not they’ve got a dedicated staff on this project or how successful it has been in helping student-athletes find NIL deals (or do any of the other stuff it says it does) I’ve got no clue.