Welcome Coach Tony Skinn!

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I’m quite pleased with Skinn’s performance so far; he’s done an excellent job. However, I have some reservations about the character of the recruits:

• Kelly kicked a guy in the head.
• Hall’s reputation speaks for itself.

That said, I’m not jumping ship. I’m extremely glad he’s our coach; I think he’ll get us dancing. Just pointing out a tiny concern of mine about the recruits’ character.

Last edited:

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I’m quite pleased with Skinn’s performance so far; he’s done an excellent job. However, I have some reservations about the character of the recruits:

That said, I’m not jumping ship. I’m extremely glad he’s our coach; I think he’ll get us dancing. Just pointing out a tiny concern of mine about the recruits’ character.
I can appreciate your sentiment here, but also keep in mind that Tony got the job last March and had to put together almost a full roster within 2 months. Kelly lost his cool and then didn't have another issue throughout the entire year (to my recollection).

As far as Hall goes, we took a chance with a knucklehead and tried to win. It didn't work out, and hopefully we can find players as talented who don't come with the baggage. I applaud the staff for taking a chance.

Hopefully Tony and the staff learned from it, and can assemble a roster of talent that works well together, wants to be at Mason and plays extremely good basketball. Having good kids is a plus, but the occasional knucklehead is going to happen. If you don't take chances, you end up with a team of nice kids and not the best talent much like Paulsen used to assemble.

And rosters are going to be very much year to year. If you retain even 5-6 guys, then that is a plus.

Last edited:

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

at least nobody murdered someone :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I can appreciate your sentiment here, but also keep in mind that Tony got the job last March and had to put together almost a full roster within 2 months. Kelly lost his cool and then didn't have another issue throughout the entire year (to my recollection).

As far as Hall goes, we took a chance with a knucklehead and tried to win. It didn't work out, and hopefully we can find players as talented who don't come with the baggage. I applaud the staff for taking a chance.

Hopefully Tony and the staff learned from it, and can assemble a roster of talent that works well together, wants to be at Mason and plays extremely good basketball. Having good kids is a plus, but the occasional knucklehead is going to happen. If you don't take chances, you end up with a team of nice kids and not the best talent much like Paulsen used to assemble.

And rosters are going to be very much year to year. If you retain even 5-6 guys, then that is a plus.
All good points.

I think this idea popped in my head after watching the Dan Hurley interview where he said he doesn’t recruit guys who bounce from school to school.

Plus I actually liked that Kelly played with a bit of an attitude.

FreeGunston12

All-American
All good points.

I think this idea popped in my head after watching the Dan Hurley interview where he said he doesn’t recruit guys who bounce from school to school.

Not to mention that Skinn is a prime example of someone that lost their cool in the heat of competition once. He's going to give guys second chances and help guys find the balance between playing with an edge and keeping their cool.

we went from four-point guards on this years' roster to none of them returning in 24-25.

I'm happy we signed Begg, but man we are in desperate need of at least a complimentary player/starter if not two PG's. If we could sign that MEAC player of the year who is a PG, I would feel better about the situation.

If there is good news at this point, at least we still have: Ball, Maddox, Haynes, Newton, Billups returning from this year's roster. Add Gio and Cokley to the mix, at least we have wings and bigs.

I have full faith and confidence in our staff, but make no mistake about it, Okojie leaving is a gigantic gut punch. You could fool me that Hall was a cancer in the locker room, but by all accounts Okojie was a great young man with tremendous character, yet wanted a tremendous pay increase to stay. The NCAA in it's current form is a joke. At what point will a separate organization be formed? I could see a day and time where we could have a situation like the PGA/LIV style approach in collegiate athletics.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
All good points.

Hurley is full of shit two of his top 3 scoring players were transfers.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
All good points.

All good, and yeah I liked that he had an overall edge to him. i don’t want guys punching guys or kicking but it’s nice to see he was playing as physical as possible. And clarifying Hurleys point, he didn’t want to recruit guys who have been to several high schools and several teams already. Not to say he won’t take transfers, but when a guy has a history of leaving for a new school every year in both high school and college, he doesn’t touch it.

Hall is an example of that, several high schools and now 3 colleges in 3 years.

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Hall is an example of that, several high schools and now 3 colleges in 3 years.

Yep. It's called being a "job-hopper". I've seen the type before in my career. They have 10 previous jobs listed on their résumés, none lasting more than a year—many only six months. Bubbly personality. Cute and charming. Everyone's darling. Center of attention. Overactive ego. Generally works hard. Wants to be and is seen and appreciated. But they get bored or frustrated easily. They realize their novelty to others has worn thin and they're not willing to share the spot light. When others stop gushing over them they quickly split, in no long order to make a shiny, new appearance and impression elsewhere. And everyone left behind asks, "Why did he/she leave? What did WE do to make him/her split? Was it OUR fault?" Sound familiar?

Last edited:

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Yep. It's called being a "job-hopper". I've seen the type before in my career. They have 10 previous jobs listed on their résumés, none lasting more than a year—many only six months. Bubbly personality. Cute and charming. Everyone's darling. Center of attention. Overactive ego. Generally works hard. Wants to be and is seen and appreciated. But they get bored or frustrated easily. They realize their novelty to others has worn thin and they're not willing to share the spot light. When others stop gushing over them they quickly split, in no long order to make a shiny, new appearance and impression elsewhere. And everyone left behind asks, "Why did he/she leave? What did WE do to make him/her split? Was it OUR fault?" Sound familiar?
Lol yes it is sorta like that. TBF, job hopping when explained and justified (contracts ending / laid off / life change) doesn't always mean they won't work out well.

But to your general point, I understand and see where you are coming from.

ephoops

Starter
All good points.

Hurley is full of shit two of his top 3 scoring players were transfers.

Hurley was referring to high school players:

"Have they played on seven different travel teams. Have they transferred to four or five different high schools."

KAOriginal

All-American
Hmmmm how the game has changed

Not long ago ...you were saddled with who you recruited and how they turned out. You might get a transfer out. But you usually had to work with what you ended up with for a few years. At best if you had balanced classes, you hoped your newcomers each year could over take your previous guys.

Now? Every season is a treasure hunt. I can see why the "positive outlook" for a coach is.... I go shopping and get the pieces I need in a PROVEN player just about every year.

It might be a bit harder to organize and disruptive to longer term continuity, but you can also effect roster change fast.....

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

Not long ago ...you were saddled with who you recruited and how they turned out. You might get a transfer out. But you usually had to work with what you ended up with for a few years. At best if you had balanced classes, you hoped your newcomers each year could over take your previous guys.

Now? Every season is a treasure hunt. I can see why the "positive outlook" for a coach is.... I go shopping and get the pieces I need in a PROVEN player just about every year.

It might be a bit harder to organize and disruptive to longer term continuity, but you can also effect roster change fast.....
And why it’s so important to have a coach who is thoughtful about how a roster comes together instead of just loading up on guys who all do the same thing well. Putting the ball in the bucket may be the most fun part of the game, but you have to have people who are willing to play different roles to have success as a team.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

And why it’s so important to have a coach who is thoughtful about how a roster comes together instead of just loading up on guys who all do the same thing well. Putting the ball in the bucket may be the most fun part of the game, but you have to have people who are willing to play different roles to have success as a team.
Yep- the good comes with the bad.

The good- roster turnaround fast, no more long rebuilds
The bad- rosters are year to year, guys will dart anytime they have a successful year and the “root for a 4 year guy” era is over for the foreseeable future.

I will say, I’d much rather have a guy who understands and looks to play the game with the environment than a guy who would be stubborn and not deal with it. It’s a roller coaster for anyone who is a fan, one day a kid will leave, the next day a new kid comes in.

It also makes the preseason projections close to impossible to get correct.