News vcu Rams Game Preview and Q&A

Robot

Administrator
Posted on the MasonHoops.com Blog:

"vcu Rams Game Preview and Q&A" by Alan Kelly

Today is the day that George Mason fans have circled since the schedule was released in August: the 18th-ranked vcu Rams (17-4, 7-1 A10) make their first trip to Fairfax since Sherrod Wright daggered them in February 2012. Everyone in Mason Nation should be at the Patriot Center for the 7 pm tip-off on Wednesday […]

Continue reading...

wijg

Starter
Posted on the MasonHoops.com Blog:

"vcu Rams Game Preview and Q&A" by Alan Kelly

Today is the day that George Mason fans have circled since the schedule was released in August: the 18th-ranked vcu Rams (17-4, 7-1 A10) make their first trip to Fairfax since Sherrod Wright daggered them in February 2012. Everyone in Mason Nation should be at the Patriot Center for the 7 pm tip-off on Wednesday […]

Continue reading...
Minor correction. I would not say I have circled it. It is more like I have blacked this day out, trying to wipe it from existence.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Minor correction. I would not say I have circled it. It is more like I have blacked this day out, trying to wipe it from existence.

I love these games, because there is no pressure on us at all. Nobody expects us to win, so maybe it will help the players come out more loose. If we break their press and knock down even a few more of the open 3s we missed against Duquesne, we can make this a close game.

We already know that Moore and Edwards need to protect the ball tonight, but the key to breaking the vcu press is how we use our wings/SFs. This means that Marko, Jackson, Edwards or Royal need be stationed at mid-court as an outlet for our PGs before before they get trapped. If we can get the ball to that spot on the court, it will create an advantage for us in the open court.

Another huge factor will be our half-court defense. If vcu can't score, they can't set up their press. And if they can't set up their press, we have a really good chance of keeping this game the 50s and 60s. If it gets in the 70s and 80s, we have little to no chance.

wijg

Starter
I love these games, because there is no pressure on us at all.
I used to love them, pre-Hewitt era. And even though there is no pressure, dealing with the unwashed black and gold masses, especially in our down years, has become very undesirable. On the plus side, in the unlikely event we win this one, it will be fun to see their dejected faces as the leave arena.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
That Matt dude has a hyphenated name. Maybe he will marry some dude who has a hyphenated name and they could adopt a child and it could have a really long hyphenated name.

Really sad that my smack talk is directed at some vcu board administrator but in these dark Hewitt days, that is about all I got.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I used to love them, pre-Hewitt era.

Yes, because we really had vcu's number under the previous regime. :cool:

On the plus side, in the unlikely event we win this one, it will be fun to see their dejected faces as the leave arena.

Completely agree. We obviously won't be playing in any postseason tournament this year, so sadly this is our Super Bowl. A loss tonight to our crappy team would surely knock vcu out of the Top 20 and create havoc on their message board.

wijg

Starter
Yes, because we really had vcu's number under the previous regime. :cool:
If I recall correctly (which could be a big doubt), outside of the Brown Turd Bowl, we had a competitive record against vcu, at least the last half.

In the Hewitt era (not all his fault on this one), their fan base has become hyper-annoying. That would be much more tolerable if we were any good, but since we are so bad, we just have to take it, or talk smack about hyphenated names.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
In the Hewitt era (not all his fault on this one), their fan base has become hyper-annoying.

This x 10,000! It was one thing when they were obnoxious because they had our number at the CAAT, but it's even worse now because they have overall program bragging rights since they are good and we, well, suck. Salt in the wound.

Last edited:

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
I say it annually, but this is not a day I ever look forward to. Even if we were to win I'd have lost because I'd have just spent 2 hours around those awful people.

I also hold a great deal of hostility against many of your who cheered on vcu during their run in 2011. You know who you are.

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
If I recall correctly (which could be a big doubt), outside of the Brown Turd Bowl, we had a competitive record against vcu, at least the last half.
G Mas is 18-32 all-time vs. vcu including an impressive 0-6 in the CAAT from 2004-2012. To be honest, I'm surprised they've found a way to beat vcu 18 times in the regular season.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Recent series history in Fairfax:

2/11/2004: George Mason 69, vcu 57
1/5/2005: vcu 81, George Mason 74
1/5/2006: George Mason 73, vcu 60
1/24/2007: vcu 75, George Mason 62
1/29/2008: George Mason 63, vcu 51
2/9/2010: George Mason 82, vcu 77 (OT)
2/14/2012: George Mason 62, vcu 61

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Just win this game. We have plenty left to lose.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I say it annually, but this is not a day I ever look forward to. Even if we were to win I'd have lost because I'd have just spent 2 hours around those awful people.

I also hold a great deal of hostility against many of your who cheered on vcu during their run in 2011. You know who you are.
Good points. But in my defense, I only pretended to cheer for them. Secretly I wanted them to lose.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I admit to wanting vcu to win their play-in game so Mason could make some money, but it was impossible to get the toothpaste back in the tube after that. No matter how much I cheered against them or poked pins in my Shaka Smart voodoo doll, they just kept winning and winning.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I admit to wanting vcu to win their play-in game so Mason could make some money, but it was impossible to get the toothpaste back in the tube after that. No matter how much I cheered against them or poked pins in my Shaka Smart voodoo doll, they just kept winning and winning.

Had Drexel not got hosed or we took care of business none of it would have happened.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Drexel got hosed like no other. Yeager and the refs should of been investigated for that.