Trying to Stay Positive

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Next year I'll renew and I'll probably go up to Green Coat Level of Giving.
99 Patriot-I wanted to address this separately from everything else on here. That is great news for you (presumably things are going well for you) and for Mason. I hope you do end up doing it.

I guess it is horribly bad timing for my renewal. I am coming up on my renewal this off season and given the commitment is now 5 years, I don't know at the present moment that I have enough confidence that proper decisions are going to be made during that 5 year period that I want to commit to that level. I might need to leave my options open.

Maybe it will be a wash for them, they can replace me with you in the GCS ranks.

I have always wondered why they didn't give out anything other than a magnet or a key chain. If they were to send you something else, what are things that you would want? I have actually been in talks with the PC and that is one of the things I've brought up to them.

I got a plaque in the mail this year that was much appreciated from Mason.

I am confused to what these people that already get 15 dinners and free beers would actually expect with their relatively meager donations. I am also an 81 game season ticket holder for the Nats, and my end of year gift is worse than the plaque most years, although I spend more at Nats Park than Pat Center.

no real perks of being a donor/STH its no wonder things are slipping.

I would be curious to know what you actually expect. Literally the last 20 years roughly the Athletic Department has honored every special request I've ever made, and considering what you donate, what perk in excess of 15 free dinners and beers do you want?

Can we admit that these $1200 donations aren't going to really buy that much influence/perks?

Masonfan3

Starter
I got a plaque in the mail this year that was much appreciated from Mason.

I am confused to what these people that already get 15 dinners and free beers would actually expect with their relatively meager donations. I am also an 81 game season ticket holder for the Nats, and my end of year gift is worse than the plaque most years, although I spend more at Nats Park than Pat Center.

While I agree with you and am happy with what I get out of my donation there are small things the PC can give out. The 15 dinners and beers you talk about are only for those that donate 500 or more. I donate enough to get passes but what about those that don't contribute enough to get into the gold/green room? What are they getting..a keychain or magnet? I split my donation and give some of it to a certain sport that isn't basketball and have been doing that for 7 years yet I haven't received even a letter from that sport thanking me for my donation. I don't really care and will continue to donate to them but I can see how some people would want something. Plus the more "swag" the Patriot Club gives to their donors the more donors they will probably get.

Harry

Starter
If the program appears to be going in the right direction then, perhaps, a short-term extension could be warranted.
No, no, a thousand times no!!! After all that has been said (see Paul Hewitt thread), how can any scenario involve a contract extension, absent us winning the A 10 next year? I know the lame duck argument but I think the alternative of an extension is much worse, and ultimately much more costly, than the duck...

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
No, no, a thousand times no!!! After all that has been said (see Paul Hewitt thread), how can any scenario involve a contract extension, absent us winning the A 10 next year? I know the lame duck argument but I think the alternative of an extension is much worse, and ultimately much more costly, than the duck...

While I agree with you, I'm trying to stay positive.

Patriotfan49

Starter
I would be curious to know what you actually expect. Literally the last 20 years roughly the Athletic Department has honored every special request I've ever made, and considering what you donate, what perk in excess of 15 free dinners and beers do you want?

Can we admit that these $1200 donations aren't going to really buy that much influence/perks?
If you read, I said I don't expect or do it to get something in return. It was just a thought. I didn't realize that paying extra or upto a certain amountfor the patriot club or gold/green room meant that beer and food was free.....

As how I look at it, 1200 bucks is more than zero.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
If you read, I said I don't expect or do it to get something in return. It was just a thought. I didn't realize that paying extra or upto a certain amountfor the patriot club or gold/green room meant that beer and food was free.....

As how I look at it, 1200 bucks is more than zero.

Considering that 1200 does not include the budget for catering, yes, the dinners and beer are free. See this is what's called a donation to the athletics department, not a prepaid buffet club.

While I agree with you and am happy with what I get out of my donation there are small things the PC can give out. The 15 dinners and beers you talk about are only for those that donate 500 or more. I donate enough to get passes but what about those that don't contribute enough to get into the gold/green room? What are they getting..a keychain or magnet? I split my donation and give some of it to a certain sport that isn't basketball and have been doing that for 7 years yet I haven't received even a letter from that sport thanking me for my donation. I don't really care and will continue to donate to them but I can see how some people would want something. Plus the more "swag" the Patriot Club gives to their donors the more donors they will probably get.

I would think you should at least get a letter. I assume you have at least gotten emails?

By the way, in a weird development the funky cold medina upside down beer holders are gone because the contract apparently went from Bud Light to Miller Lite.

Kind of odd, midseason.

Patriotfan49

Starter
Considering that 1200 does not include the budget for catering, yes, the dinners and beer are free. See this is what's called a donation to the athletics department, not a prepaid buffet club.

Alright, call it even then on some nasty a** chili from hard times and a couple bud lights.

You have to pay extra for the Patriot club to get access to the food and beer, so maybe Im not seeing it but how does that not factor in to the cost of the food?

psyclone

Hall of Famer

I'm assuming that Brion's (Green room) does the buffet as a donation-in-kind. Gets their name in front of people, etc. How much do you think the budget would be (food + labor) for a pre-game buffet?