Trying to Stay Positive

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Who do you believe would be the leading candidate for the assistant to fall on their sword in the offsesaon?

I know that there are concerns that Hewitt would not be able to hire a good assistant at this point. While I understand the concerns, I believe that there are benefits in working for a man like Hewitt (even for a possible short duration). To me, the ideal assistant for Hewitt in season #4 at Mason would be a current or former head coach who is a strong X's and O's guy.

IMO, Roland Houston is the current assistant who should be replaced (assuming the other 2 do not leave voluntarily).

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I know that there are concerns that Hewitt would not be able to hire a good assistant at this point. While I understand the concerns, I believe that there are benefits in working for a man like Hewitt (even for a possible short duration). To me, the ideal assistant for Hewitt in season #4 at Mason would be a current or former head coach who is a strong X's and O's guy.

I mean, which assistant gets the ax?

Beyond strong Xs and Os any new assistant needs to be a hard a**. Kreider, Hewitt and Houston seem too laid back for me. Someone on that coaching staff needs to crack the whip.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
How do we know that Hewitt won't let one of them be that X and O guy? It seems to me Hewitt over micromanges alot of things and isn't willing to give up control to his assistants.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I don't think any of our assistants currently are considered Xs and Os guy. I know Kreider and Skeeters are both considered "recruiters." And I'm not quite sure what Roland Houston is supposed to be good at.

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I guess this is a nice exercise in "what if" but no one is leaving. Not Hewitt, not any assistants. We are stuck with this staff for at least one more year.

What I fear is that we have set the bar so low this year that even if we only win 6 conference games next year, TOC, Cabrerra or some other idiot will renew his contract saying they see improvement.

A scenario in which Hewitt will be here beyond more than just one more year is a very real possibility.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Well Chank, I see very little reason to believe next year's team will even be able to win 6 conference games.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Well Chank, I see very little reason to believe next year's team will even be able to win 6 conference games.
Since things seem to work a little opposite with Hewitt coached teams (play great against good teams, lose bad to bad teams, play better away than at home, experience does not matter...), maybe with a really young team next year, we actually look better...

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
I guess this is a nice exercise in "what if" but no one is leaving. Not Hewitt, not any assistants. We are stuck with this staff for at least one more year.

What I fear is that we have set the bar so low this year that even if we only win 6 conference games next year, TOC, Cabrerra or some other idiot will renew his contract saying they see improvement.

A scenario in which Hewitt will be here beyond more than just one more year is a very real possibility.

Chank,

As a reminder, there will be 18 A10 games next year. So, you believe that a 6-12 conference record next season could be good enough (in this period of low expectations) for Hewitt to receive a contract extension?

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Trying to stay positive, here is my take on the situation. Former President Merten and AD Tom O'Connor believed that Paul Hewitt was the best available coach for Mason, which was in no need of a rebuilding process. And, let's be honest, most of us were not opposed to Hewitt initially.
I agree 100%. I don't think it was a bad decision at the time, especially given the "I have learned from my mistakes statement" and what seemed to be the selection criteria. Some obviously disagree.

So, the real question IMO is how long is a reasonable and practical period before any decision is made regarding possible termination? While I strongly believed that Mason should have fired Paul Westhead after 3 season, I believe that Paul Hewitt should be given 4 seasons.
Why would you give Westhead only 3 years when the program was already in a shambles when he started, and he actually improved us ever so slightly, and give Hewitt 4 seasons when he started with something that was in good shape at the time? What does year 4 get you? Does anyone think it is going to be good given the players we are losing? What does he need to do to get the extension that needs to come after 4 years so we don't have a lame duck?
Chank,

As a reminder, there will be 18 A10 games next year. So, you believe that a 6-12 conference record next season could be good enough (in this period of low expectations) for Hewitt to receive a contract extension?
Honestly, I don't know, but I would not be surprised one bit given the arguments some people have made to me.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Why would you give Westhead only 3 years when the program was already in a shambles when he started, and he actually improved us ever so slightly, and give Hewitt 4 seasons when he started with something that was in good shape at the time? What does year 4 get you? Does anyone think it is going to be good given the players we are losing? What does he need to do to get the extension that needs to come after 4 years so we don't have a lame duck?

Brian,

It's my understanding that Paul Westhead was asked in season #3 to modify his system, but he refused to do so. Given that it was highly unlikely that he was going to recruit the requisite NBA-caliber players for his system to be successful here, he should have been fired after his 3rd season.

Regarding Hewitt, I believe that he could be competitive in the A10 if he hires a strong lead assistant. And, obviously, I'm hoping that he does so before next season.

Again, I'm trying to stay positive.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Regarding Hewitt, I believe that he could be competitive in the A10 if he hires a strong lead assistant. And, obviously, I'm hoping that he does so before next season.
I would be utterly shocked if Hewitt would even entertain such an idea. Look at his statements and press conferences. He certainly does not believe this is a coaching issue based on what he is saying there.

But, imagining that it did happen, what would be your measuring stick that the change in the off season (in this case hiring a strong lead assistant) had done its job and deserves an extension at the end of year 4.

Mason2005

All-American
GIVING DAY 2023
I look forward to watching the 4 new incoming recruits play in Kenner league. The 3 attacking wings are built for that kind of game play and it'll be nice to see Porter go again people his height.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
I would be utterly shocked if Hewitt would even entertain such an idea. Look at his statements and press conferences. He certainly does not believe this is a coaching issue based on what he is saying there.

But, imagining that it did happen, what would be your measuring stick that the change in the off season (in this case hiring a strong lead assistant) had done its job and deserves an extension at the end of year 4.

At this point, I don't even care about the number of victories next season. I just want to see the team play fundamentally sound basketball next season. If the program appears to be going in the right direction then, perhaps, a short-term extension could be warranted.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
At this point, I don't even care about the number of victories next season. I just want to see the team play fundamentally sound basketball next season. If the program appears to be going in the right direction then, perhaps, a short-term extension could be warranted.

Certainly with the glut of athletic defensive-first players coming in, I would like to see our defense look a lot tougher next year.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I agree on the victories, that is why I asked about measuring stick instead of victories. But, after this year, just about anything would look like it is going in the right direction...

On the fundamentally sound basketball, do you think that could actually happen? That is a practice issue, right? So, most would agree Hewitt is a weak in-game coach, so the new guy would be doing that, and to improve the fundamentals, the new guy would need to take over practice as well. If you could get a guy who thinks he is pretty damn good to even agree to such a thing, we now have a head coach that is only doing recruiting and non-basketball duties. Even if we did improve and win the conference, why would we extend Hewitt instead of making the new guy head coach?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Brian,

All signs point to fire Hewitt now, but no one here believes he will be fired. I think any and all discussion about what we would like to see Hewitt do in the offseason really is just rationalizing the inevitable.

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Chank,

I certainly don't think it is and no competent AD in all of the NCAA would think so either. But we're not dealing with a competent bunch.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Brian,

All signs point to fire Hewitt now, but no one here believes he will be fired. I think any and all discussion about what we would like to see Hewitt do in the offseason really is just rationalizing the inevitable.

Gemini, I view those as two separate issues. 1, What should (we want) to happen and, 2, what might happen. That is sort of the point of my earlier rant about our fan base deserving Coach Hewitt. If the fan base does not overwhelmingly demand it, it definitely won't happen and then we deserve him as our coach.

If the fan base did, overwhelmingly, demand it, and it still did not happen, well that is a different issue that should be addressed to a different group of people. I choose to cross that bridge when we get to it. The first step is for the fan base to be in overwhelming agreement.

That is why I have been trying to make the point above that even year four (in all the incarnations described above) is pretty much a moot point. Hewitt needs to either do it his way to prove he is worthy, which very few on here have much hope of it happening without a major change. If we do require a new assistant to fix all the problems, why aren't we just making him the head coach from the start? Unless it is just to give him a little time to learn the head coaching ropes from Hewitt. But I would have doubts about the value of that type of plan.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Gemini, I view those as two separate issues. 1, What should (we want) to happen and, 2, what might happen. That is sort of the point of my earlier rant about our fan base deserving Coach Hewitt. If the fan base does not overwhelmingly demand it, it definitely won't happen and then we deserve him as our coach.

If the fan base did, overwhelmingly, demand it, and it still did not happen, well that is a different issue that should be addressed to a different group of people. I choose to cross that bridge when we get to it. The first step is for the fan base to be in overwhelming agreement.

That is why I have been trying to make the point above that even year four (in all the incarnations described above) is pretty much a moot point. Hewitt needs to either do it his way to prove he is worthy, which very few on here have much hope of it happening without a major change. If we do require a new assistant to fix all the problems, why aren't we just making him the head coach from the start? Unless it is just to give him a little time to learn the head coaching ropes from Hewitt. But I would have doubts about the value of that type of plan.

I agree completely, Brian. And here's what makes just get a fantastic assistant coach option even worse -- he will be plucked by either a bigger program for more than we can pay him, or for a head coaching gig somewhere else and then we are back to square one (a very flawed head coach).

I really do think the time to strike is now.