Today

Pablo

Hall of Famer
There certainly was not any guarantee with James Johnson, the choice of you and many in 2011.

Look, this is fun, but Hewitt is not going to be gone before year 4 barring some sort of misconduct in the program. Just not going to happen.

In fairness to Jim, he recommended a few different candidates including Bill Courtney, James Johnson, & Danny Hurley - see http://boards.caazone.com/showthread.php?106702-If-Larranaga-goes-Go-Get-Amaker.

Hopefully, when it's time to replace Hewitt, the AD will allow us posters to choose the next coach.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I still think JJ is an excellent basketball coach, and would've proven so had he been given a fair opportunity to rebuild the program at Tech.

He walked into a very difficult situation, which quickly became almost impossible without Finney-Smith and Harrell.

I frankly find it remarkable that he managed to win 9 ACC games in 2 years with the roster he inherited. He was playing multiple walk-ons major minutes because of lack of depth and injuries.

I guess in Jollay's world, the fact that he got fired after 2 years means he would've been an awful choice to replace Larranaga.

But he certainly couldn't have been any worse than Bozo.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
This whole thing reminds me of DC United whose ownership stuck with their GM and head coach despite having not only the worst record in DC United history, but in MLS history saying they trusted Davd Kasper (their GM) and Ben Olsen (their head coach) had a plan in place to right the ship. They blamed the players instead (not enough MLS caliber talent, not enough depth they said), shedding them in the offseason and overhauling the roster with 7 new starters.

Well what happened in their home opener? 0-3 loss to Columbus in front of an anemic 13k fans in the worst stadium in MLS.

Now it's early in the season, but it's already clear that the exact same problems they had last season (lack of creativity in the attack, lapses of concentration and judgment in defense) are plaguing this new crop of players.

By sticking with the coach and blaming their players, I fear they are on the same trajectory this season as last.

Everyone knows Hewitt isn't the long-term answer. Why waste another season waiting around just to get rid of him this time next year?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Everyone knows Hewitt isn't the long-term answer. Why waste another season waiting around just to get rid of him this time next year?

Gemini, you are on a roll!

This is an excellent question.

In fact, IMHO, it is THE question ... hopefully Cabrera and TOC are asking it right now.

Patriotfan49

Starter

Because were all obsessed with Coach L and want him back, and Luke Hancock, and were not Duke...and Kentucky...20 win seasons....."his guys"......blah blah blah

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Gemini, you are on a roll!

This is an excellent question.

In fact, IMHO, it is THE question ... hopefully Cabrera and TOC are asking it right now.

I'm not sure that either of them has given up on Hewitt yet. But, I hope that they expect some constructive changes before next season. If not, then why am I continuing to support the program?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm not sure that either of them has given up on Hewitt yet. But, I hope that they expect some constructive changes before next season. If not, then why am I continuing to support the program?

Pablo, if there was even a reasonable chance that we could make the NCAA tournament next season, I'd be all for giving Hewitt one more year.

But if we couldn't win more than 4 A-10 games with 2 very good senior guards, how could any of us expect to be significantly better next season?

Another disaster next season means that Cabrera almost certainly will have to fire him. What would be the justification for keeping/extending him?

Gemini made a reasonable financial case that it makes more sense to make the change now instead of letting the program further erode. Why wait?

Patriotfan49

Starter

Again...more than likely you can forget about hiring a quality assistant. This was all the rage and talk last year, and we even had an opening on the staff and still didnt do it. I wouldnt hold your breath this offseason either.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Pablo, if there was even a reasonable chance that we could make the NCAA tournament next season, I'd be all for giving Hewitt one more year.

But if we couldn't win more than 4 A-10 games with 2 very good senior guards, how could any of us expect to be significantly better next season?

Another disaster next season means that Cabrera almost certainly will have to fire him. What would be the justification for keeping/extending him?

Gemini made a reasonable financial case that it makes more sense to make the change now instead of letting the program further erode. Why wait?

I could support either decision. Fire him now, or effect the necessary changes to justify another season. I'm not expecting the team to make the NCAA tourney next year, but I expect to see fundamentally sound team basketball. Perhaps, the loss of these seniors will force Hewitt to make the types of changes that I want to see.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Again...more than likely you can forget about hiring a quality assistant. This was all the rage and talk last year, and we even had an opening on the staff and still didnt do it. I wouldnt hold your breath this offseason either.

I'm hopeful that Hewitt will hire his former assistant Cliff Warren.

Cool Disco Dan

Sixth Man
Dan, I appreciate your insight and expertise, but do you really think P49 would change his mind if a perky 23-year old called him with a rah-rah speech about how important his donation is?

I do think you have a point that our administration should fight to keep every donor, but those calls should be coming from people with clout like Adam Brick, Andy Ruge, Max Baker, etc.

If those guys have the bandwidth for all levels of donors, by all means, hand them the Time Life headset and a Rolodex.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
I would be shocked to see Hewitt gone anytime soon. TO'C's contract is up this year. My guess is if they were going to renew it, it would have been done by now. It would be much better long term to let the new AD pick his guy sometime down the road than to have TO'C hire a new coach now, have a new AD step in, and then have him pick his coach another two or three years down the line. There is a slim chance that a new AD comes in and lets Hewitt go this summer, but more than likely we'll have to wait one more year.

Hopefully we can land a a basketball first AD with creative and new ideas to jump start the whole athletics program. A good realtionship with a soild basketball coach who can rebuild our program wouldn't hurt either.

Patriotfan49

Starter
I would be shocked to see Hewitt gone anytime soon. TO'C's contract is up this year. My guess is if they were going to renew it, it would have been done by now. It would be much better long term to let the new AD pick his guy sometime down the road than to have TO'C hire a new coach now, have a new AD step in, and then have him pick his coach another two or three years down the line. There is a slim chance that a new AD comes in and lets Hewitt go this summer, but more than likely we'll have to wait one more year.

Hopefully we can land a a basketball first AD with creative and new ideas to jump start the whole athletics program. A good realtionship with a soild basketball coach who can rebuild our program wouldn't hurt either.

Id gladly settle for one more year of Hewitt if we were to get a guy in the AD spot come June, that is bball centric and first and has all sorts of plans/ideas on how to spark the entire sports scene. Id feel much better about our outlook with somebody like that in the driver seat.

I think half the issue right now isnt just Hewitt, but also the lack of proactive forward thought and plan regarding buzz and excitement with not just bball but most our sports. Like many said, if we even just had a plan laid out by the AD it would provide some sort of confidence going forward...

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023

That's a good point--June isn't the time to be hiring your new basketball coach.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

If this is the case, I would expect and hope to hear TOC announce his retirement very soon (like within the next two weeks). I hope we aren't going into May not knowing if our AD is coming back or not.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
If Tom "the overpaid dumbass" O'Connor gets an extension then I will join those who are done.

psyclone

Hall of Famer

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Honestly, I know it sucks, but I'm willing to wait a year if it means the house is cleaned. Regardless of what we think, I would think there's a really good chance Hewitt is gone after next year regardless if there is a new AD. People want to be judged on the merits of the individuals they hire not someone they inherit....

And Jollay implying that a large number or even small minority of people wanted James Johnson hired is laughable. Courtney, maybe, but not Johnson. That's revisionist history to try to bolster your argument.