The 3rd Game 13 Thread: GMU (7-5 / 0-0) at Duquesne (5-7 / 0-0) on Sunday, Jan. 2, at 2:00PM. POSTPONED

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Will we actually get to play this one? The Dukes game at Davidson scheduled for 12/30 has been postponed. If we/they miraculously play between now and then I will update.

History: GMU is 2 - 6 as a member of the A10 against the Dukes. This includes tournament play.

Duquesne is currently 5-7 / 0-0.

Wins: Rider, Bradley, American, New Hampshire, UC Irvine,
Losses: Hofstra, Weber. St., Northeastern, Colorado, Bowling Green, Marshall, DePaul,
Canceled: Wofford, Davidson

Schedule: https://goduquesne.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule
Roster: https://goduquesne.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster
Stats: https://goduquesne.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2021/pdf

Duquesne is led by 6’5” Leon Ayers III (12.9 ppg & 4.6 reb), 6’7” Kevin Easley Jr. (12.8 ppg & 6.7 reb), 6’3” “Primo” Spears (10.9 ppg), and 6’7” Tre Williams (10.9 ppg & 6.4 reb). 5’11” Jackie Johnson III, 6’4” Tyson Acuff, and 6’8” Toby Okani play double figure minutes for Duquesne and all 3 have started at various points this season. They are YOUNG. No seniors play and Ayers, a junior, is the only Duke with tons of experience.

Duquesne averages 70.0 points per game while giving up 71.2. The Dukes shoot 41.5% from the floor and 33.5% from 3. Opponents are shooting 46.3% from the field and 36.8% from 3. They shoot 69.5% from the free throw line. The Dukes are currently being out rebounded by their opponents by just .1 boards per game. They average 11.1 turnovers per game.

The game is on ESPN+.

My prediction: Our experience will be the difference. GMU 72 - Duquesne 68. We skip town with the win after celebrating with a Primanti Brothers sandwich.

Discuss.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
FYI. I visited Pittsburgh for the first time ever last month. Wonderful city to visit, but Duquesne's "campus" is ugly as sin. Pitt, on the other hand, is very nice.

Ugly Pittsburgh U.: 62
Improving but still not great campus in Fairfax: 67

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
FYI. I visited Pittsburgh for the first time ever last month. Wonderful city to visit, but Duquesne's "campus" is ugly as sin. Pitt, on the other hand, is very nice.

Ugly Pittsburgh U.: 62
Improving but still not great campus in Fairfax: 67
Any trip to Pittsburgh without a seeing a game at PNC Park is a wasted trip. I'd put it right up there with Camden Yards as one of my favorite ballparks.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Any trip to Pittsburgh without a seeing a game at PNC Park is a wasted trip. I'd put it right up there with Camden Yards as one of my favorite ballparks.
In January? Who are the Bucs playing?

psyclone

Hall of Famer
As the world turns:

Men's Basketball Schedule Updates; Patriots to Play at #6 Kansas
FAIRFAX, Va. – The George Mason University men’s basketball team (7-5) will ring in the New Year with a game at #6/6 Kansas Saturday at historic Phog Allen Fieldhouse.

Mason’s A-10 game at Duquesne, originally scheduled for Jan. 2, has been postponed due to COVID-19 protocols within the Dukes program.

Tip-off between the Patriots and Jayhawks on New Year’s Day is set for 5 p.m (ET). The contest will be broadcast on Big 12 NOW on ESPN+. It’s the first ever matchup between George Mason and Kansas on the hardwood.

Kansas is the highest-ranked program Mason has battled since a Feb. 25, 2020 home contest vs. #4/3 Dayton. The Jayhawks are Mason’s highest-ranked road foe since a Nov. 22, 2019, game at #6/6 Maryland.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Last edited:

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Just our luck - don’t make up our one game against the worst team in the conference.

Rhode Island won’t be made up either, they suck as well.

As much as we think it would be a win, we also thought lasalle would be a win.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Rhode Island won’t be made up either, they suck as well.

As much as we think it would be a win, we also thought lasalle would be a win.
Despite their record, URI is 3d in the conference in defensive efficiency (big guys inside) and just a little below us in NET/kenpom ranking. Would definitely not be a pushover in a likely 7-10 matchup.

We'll be just as well off not to get worn out squeezing in makeup games in the next 2 weeks.
e.g. SLU playing their 5th game in 10 days losing by 15+ to Davidson (without Loyer) at the under 8
TO in the second half.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Despite their record, URI is 3d in the conference in defensive efficiency (big guys inside) and just a little below us in NET/kenpom ranking. Would definitely not be a pushover in a likely 7-10 matchup.

We'll be just as well off not to get worn out squeezing in makeup games in the next 2 weeks.
e.g. SLU playing their 5th game in 10 days losing by 15+ to Davidson (without Loyer) at the under 8
TO in the second half.

I think that happened to us against Nevada and vcu. Just so many games in a row.