Should Mason Bring Back the TSG?

F

Flexxar

Spectator
Wished we could get the Engineering school to build one that resembled a revolutionary war style Cannon.

The Patriot would look beast behind one of these...
Old_Cannon.jpg

Now that you mention it, why even have an engineering school if they aren't building us t-shirt cannons for basketball games!

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Met TSG at the Northern Iowa game, great guy! Kind of hysterical watching the male cheerleaders try to "throw" shirts into the stands.

I miss the t-shirt gun, that thing would send Shaka flying all the way back to that place called Richmond.

Yossarian

Sixth Man
It seems to me that the simple solution that would satisfy all (or most) parties would be to have the cheerleaders (the ladies, not the guys) armed with pneumatic cannons to distribute t-shirts to all areas of the Patriot Center. Everyone gets some eye candy and everyone is within t-shirt range. Winning.

mason89

Starter
Love TSG, but love the weak-armed cheerleaders even more: Mason games 1994 -2013 (in current seats 4 rows from court) = 1 t-shirt; this year = 2 t-shirts.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
TSG is an awesome guy, you all need to cut him a break. He volunteered his time, for free, to help YOU enjoy the game day experience more. I've seen many College bball programs who don't throw shirts out at all, so be careful criticizing a small element to the gameday experience you may take for granted. Also, he has been very liberal with his wallet to Mason BBall and Athletics. TSG is too nice of a guy to say it..... but you all can kiss his arse for all the badmouthing of a fellow fan. Jesus people..... show some class and show some respect for your fellow man and GMU fan.

Last edited:

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
We need TSG back. Despite his vintage he could make it to all parts of the stadium on his own carrying the gun. And he had good aim.
Rumor has it that someone with the initials AB complained about using the gun...

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
It seems to me that the simple solution that would satisfy all (or most) parties would be to have the cheerleaders (the ladies, not the guys) armed with pneumatic cannons to distribute t-shirts to all areas of the Patriot Center. Everyone gets some eye candy and everyone is within t-shirt range. Winning.
Please, no. Given their ability to aim (or lack of it) based on the evidence so far, the potential lawsuits alone are reason enough for them to not be allowed to firing high speed projectiles into a crowd.

Bring back TSG now!

patriot2000

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
TSG is an awesome guy, you all need to cut him a break. He volunteered his time, for free, to help YOU enjoy the game day experience more. I've seen many College bball programs who don't throw shirts out at all, so be careful criticizing a small element to the gameday experience you may take for granted. Also, he has been very liberal with his wallet to Mason BBall and Athletics. TSG is too nice of a guy to say it..... but you all can kiss his arse for all the badmouthing of a fellow fan. Jesus people..... show some class and show some respect for your fellow man and GMU fan.
I second this. You guys should remember that ex-TSG is a fellow poster on these boards and a fantastic contributer to Mason athletics. There are plenty of other things to criticize; leave this one alone.

I miss the little things he did that others didn't always notice, like running every third shirt into the stands and handing it to a kid. If tye cheerleaders are going to do the shirts, I'd like them to remember that a cheaply made t-shirt is just another in my collection but is kind of a big deal to the kids - future supporters and donors if they grow up remembering an awesome game experience.

Anyone else notice that the kid who has been mopping our floor for years has been replaced by an adult? Shame...

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

expendable smurf

Four-star Recruit
I don't need a T-shirt that doesn't fit me, but a Chick-Fil-A sandwich would certainly be nice. Not sure that would work with the T-Shirt gun but always worth a try.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I miss the little things he did that others didn't always notice, like running every third shirt into the stands and handing it to a kid.

Anyone else notice that the kid who has been mopping our floor for years has been replaced by an adult? Shame...

Yes, ex-TSG really made an effort to make sure kids were taken care of. That will be missed.

As for mopping the floor, kids have been replaced. I was told its not that the kids weren't doing a good job, but that the administration wanted to make a change. No reason given as to why. Its certainly not an A10 rule to have adults doing it.

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
Yes, ex-TSG really made an effort to make sure kids were taken care of. That will be missed.

As for mopping the floor, kids have been replaced. I was told its not that the kids weren't doing a good job, but that the administration wanted to make a change. No reason given as to why. Its certainly not an A10 rule to have adults doing it.

TSG was into himself first and second while sauntering around the floor shooting those tshirts. Also, I'm glad the kids have been replaced. They were slow and inefficient. See Duke. They have guys in suits that are passionate in cleaning up that sweat.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

Perhaps, the school is concerned that with the refs calling more personal fouls this season, the kids would be working late into the night.

MASONscott

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
TSG did a great job of making it his job to get everyone involved. I appreciate how much he got both kids and adults jumping up and down. Students would get pretty animated to stick out for a t-shirt. Those high in the rafters had something that improved their experience.

Plus, he often would let my daughter carry a t-shirt to a young fan at their first game as well. Pretty conteinous.

With the cheerleaders, it is one of many things they do during a game and naturally they lack the same conviction (really who could) that TSG demonstrated.

Bring back TSG back to the lineup if healthy!
(Arledge too)

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I have nothing against the kids doing mopup duty, but sometimes they were really slow and didn't seem to know what to do when a ref motioned to them -- which may not have been their fault. It may have been a training issue.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
My son was a sweat wiper a couple of times. One time during a game against Brown - a player yanked the towel out of his hands then threw it down on the floor - against his better judgement or for lack of it - he called the player an "asshole" and got a little talking to from one of the suits on the sidelined. The student section cheered for him though and he got a hug from a cheer leader.

In his words - "worth it."