Q&A with Coach Hewitt?

KAOriginal

All-American
Flip the argument.

Right now Hewitt is their link to Mason. Cut that link and they can reconsider their options with no heartburn.

If they come to Mason for a year...there maybe more of a connection should Hewitt leave and they feel reassured with the potential new hire.

wijg

Starter
It could go either way, and since these are kids, trying to apply logic to how they might consider the situation probably is an exercise in futility. I still don't see that it is any bigger of a risk sooner rather than later. A new coach may even want to overhaul the roster anyways.

wijg

Starter
I might remind you that Louisville had no scholarships when Hancock transferred there. If a coach wants a player, he will make room.
Weren't most of the guys we are talking about fairly under recruited? Even if not, we are not talking about a Luke Hancock, guy who came off a terrific tourney win (and would go on to be tourney MOP) type of situation. I don't know if you could possibly come up with a more unique scenario than that.

No offense to the recruits, I have high hopes for them, but most of them are still unproven quantities in college basketball. I am not sure they would garner the type of interest that triggers scholarships to be shuffled around to make room for them, at least not at programs that are higher than us on the basketball ladder.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Here's the bottom line for me: If kids want to earn a degree from Mason and help our men's basketball program be successful, that's great.

If changing coaches makes them want to leave, more power to them.

A program is -- or at least should be -- bigger than any one player. I'm not about twisting ourselves into a pretzel trying to keep anyone who doesn't want to stay.

Cabrera and Edwards need to decide whether Hewitt is the right coach to let Mason basketball back to the NCAA tournament. Potential transfers shouldn't have one iota of influence over that process.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
Here's the bottom line for me: If kids want to earn a degree from Mason and help our men's basketball program be successful, that's great.

If changing coaches makes them want to leave, more power to them.

A program is -- or at least should be -- bigger than any one player. I'm not about twisting ourselves into a pretzel trying to keep anyone who doesn't want to stay.

Cabrera and Edwards need to decide whether Hewitt is the right coach to let Mason basketball back to the NCAA tournament. Potential transfers shouldn't have one iota of influence over that process.

And keep in mind you may very well have transfers coming IN as a result if the new coach (Copes). It works both ways.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
slightly off topic, however if/when we fire Hewitt, I would like us to make a run at Ron Hunter from Georgia State. the guy has completely turned that program around from nothing when he arrived. Georgia State went 25-9 last year and are adding quality transfers.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...illiams-becomes-latest-georgia-state-transfer
He may be winning and I would take that but, man, he is not very polished. Plus no post season success yet.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
He may be winning and I would take that but, man, he is not very polished. Plus no post season success yet.

I'd take a successful, but not very polished coach over the corpse we currently have masquerading as the leader of our program.

The guy is all passion, and not in a negative way like Bruiser with the nutsack grabbing and constant bitching at the refs. You can tell Hunter's kids love him and would gladly run through a wall for him.

Problem for us is that we're no longer high enough in the pecking order to get a guy like Hunter once he leaves GSU. He's gonna zoom right past us on his way to a BCS job.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
I'd take a successful, but not very polished coach over the corpse we currently have masquerading as the leader of our program.

I'm interested to see who Edwards hires to fill Mason's lacrosse coaching vacancy. Perhaps, this will indicate how bold he will be in hiring coaches capable of taking the program to the next level.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
looks like Coach Kreider just moved into the Masonvale townhouses on campus, per his Instagram. hopefully only a temporary move....

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
looks like Coach Kreider just moved into the Masonvale townhouses on campus.

If I was Kreider, I don't know if I would've done that.

The last well-known athletic department employee who moved in there no longer has his job after June 30.

Hope Masonvale doesn't become a halfway house for people on their way out of Fairfax.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
If I was Kreider, I don't know if I would've done that.

The last well-known athletic department employee who moved in there no longer has his job after June 30.

Hope Masonvale doesn't become a halfway house for people on their way out of Fairfax.

http://www.masonvale.com/fairfax-va-apartments.asp:
  • Masonvale is transitional housing and offers a variety of lease terms. The maximum residency term at Masonvale is three (3) years; this to affords ongoing housing availability for new members of the George Mason University community.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Is it impossible to think Hewitt asked about an extension and was told no by TOC. Thats two coaches who seem to be looking to get out of town.