PROVIDENCE UPDATE

DRK331

Starter
Youtube video of Kim English reaction to missing the NCAAT

Youtube video of Kim English reaction to missing the NCAAT

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"Providence College President Fr. Kenneth Sicard, O.P. and Vice President/Athletics Director Steve Napolillo today announced (April 5) that Kim English has agreed to a contract extension to remain head coach of the men’s basketball program for the next six years.

'I’m very thankful to Father Sicard and Steve Napolillo for extending and deepening our connection to each other and the College,' said Men’s Basketball Head Coach Kim English. 'I’m incredibly committed to our student athletes and all of Friartown. The support from our fans, the donors, and the community was overwhelming this past season, and that support is one of the many reasons that I believe our program can have success moving forward. I look forward to the exciting times ahead as we work to compete for championships.'”

The Great PATSby

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

"Providence College President Fr. Kenneth Sicard, O.P. and Vice President/Athletics Director Steve Napolillo today announced (April 5) that Kim English has agreed to a contract extension to remain head coach of the men’s basketball program for the next six years.

'I’m very thankful to Father Sicard and Steve Napolillo for extending and deepening our connection to each other and the College,' said Men’s Basketball Head Coach Kim English. 'I’m incredibly committed to our student athletes and all of Friartown. The support from our fans, the donors, and the community was overwhelming this past season, and that support is one of the many reasons that I believe our program can have success moving forward. I look forward to the exciting times ahead as we work to compete for championships.'”

KE gonna have a lot of work to do. He's losing 70% of his offense. Not easy to lose a BE POY and a Honorable Mention ALL-Conference Player. He's gonna have to hit to portal hard.

Eventually his own recruits need to start producing. He can't rely on players that were gifted to him... JO, Devin Carter, Hopkins.

Last edited:

Old Man

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023

That's great and all for him, but what do contracts in the coaching world really mean?

Nothing, zip, zippy, zilch, nada!

If he gets a better (in his thinking) offer, he'll move, as do most coaches. All this contract means is he won't be fired without cause for the next six years and still receive a paycheck.

OP
M

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
That's great and all for him, but what do contracts in the coaching world really mean?

Nothing, zip, zippy, zilch, nada!

If he gets a better (in his thinking) offer, he'll move, as do most coaches. All this contract means is he won't be fired without cause for the next six years and still receive a paycheck.
Correct -its just a formality and means nothing in the scheme of things. Its a courtesy to the coach that he gets extra time after having a good year (albeit short of expectations). He most likely won't get any more extensions unless he makes the tournament.

In my opinion though, always better to be proactive than reactive especially in this coaching market. More important to mid majors than to Providence, but I get why they did what they did.

All in all, contract extensions pretty much mean nothing but show respect.

Last edited:

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

The buyout terms of the contract form a "Barrier of Exit" should KE be very successful. The higher it is the more limited the number of schools that are financially willing and able to pay for his services. It also provides a revenue source for Providence to hire the next coach.

In my mind, Providence is paying today for future success tomorrow, with options should KE be wildly successful. It is a gamble but most of the risk now rests with Providence.

Last edited:
OP
M

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
The buyout terms of the contract form a "Barrier of Exit" should KE be very successful. The higher it is the more limited the number of schools that are financially willing and able to pay for his services. It also provides a revenue source for Providence to hire the next coach.

I my mind, Providence is paying today for future success tomorrow, with options should KE be wildly successful. It is a gamble but most of the risk now rests with Providence.
I can’t imagine why any school would want to raise the buyout of their existing up and coming coach. To protect themselves and help fund the next guy sounds way too proactive and innovative. It’s almost like Kim has suggested this idea before to previous employers.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I can’t imagine why any school would want to raise the buyout of their existing up and coming coach. To protect themselves and help fund the next guy sounds way too proactive and innovative. It’s almost like Kim has suggested this idea before to previous employers.

He gave us a cool million to bring in Skinn and entice Curran to leave Bona. Thanks Kimmie!

DRK331

Starter
Kim English talks to the Field of 68 crew about Providence's roster construction, a tiny bit of George Mason, a tiny bit of "no longer having previous stop guys" to recruit anymore, the Big East as a league, and Uconn/Dan Hurley

Very interesting video

Kim English talks to the Field of 68 crew about Providence's roster construction, a tiny bit of George Mason, a tiny bit of "no longer having previous stop guys" to recruit anymore, the Big East as a league, and Uconn/Dan Hurley

Very interesting video