Predictions - Lindy's College Basketball Magazine

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Cooper will probably have a big impact but Schwartz to me is an unknown. Can you he create his own shot? Was on a power team at CU, he won't get the same looks. Agree we don't have an established PG. Also a lot seems to hinge on Oduro making a big leap, will he? Also there's zero depth in the front court

Some Schwartz highlights in this package when Colorado beat what will become a top 5 Dayton team. He hits the buzzer beater to beat them. He's number 5.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYCyzyg601w

Here is a Schwartz highlights package from the 19-20 season where you'll see more of his game (and less of the situations).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpCzTLSBouA

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Some Schwartz highlights in this package when Colorado beat what will become a top 5 Dayton team. He hits the buzzer beater to beat them. He's number 5.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYCyzyg601w

Here is a Schwartz highlights package from the 19-20 season where you'll see more of his game (and less of the situations).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpCzTLSBouA
Even Rothstein, who hates Mason for some reason, said Schwartz is an incredible get and one of the top 2 incoming transfers in the A-10. He’ll more than replace what we lost with Miller.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Cooper will probably have a big impact but Schwartz to me is an unknown. Can you he create his own shot? Was on a power team at CU, he won't get the same looks. Agree we don't have an established PG. Also a lot seems to hinge on Oduro making a big leap, will he? Also there's zero depth in the front court

Lack of front court depth is one reason I see Schwartz being a go-to guy next year. Very different player than AJ but same height/weight and plays that G/F hybrid. Was a 40% from behind the arc w/115 attempts (just shy of 50% of all his attempts). He also had 52 FT attempts last year, but 74 & 72 respectively the two years before, which indicates to me a guy who also likes to drive to the rim.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Even Rothstein, who hates Mason for some reason, said Schwartz is an incredible get and one of the top 2 incoming transfers in the A-10. He’ll more than replace what we lost with Miller.
I hope so. Miller's loss seems to be more of a concern than Kolek.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
That's interesting. Wasn't he an advocate back in the L days?

He used to like L and he would work with Hewitt but for whatever reason he was never really onboard covering Paulsen. Whether Paulsen wasn't nice to him, or he didn't care for him/text him back. The only time he gave a little bit of attention was Year 4, but that promptly fell flat with the 0-3 start. I suspect if the program starts winning he will look to cover English, but Mason's program has just been "meh" for so long. Its puzzling why he goes to like St Joes and Lasalle considering they aren't exactly exciting either but whatever.

Lack of front court depth is one reason I see Schwartz being a go-to guy next year. Very different player than AJ but same height/weight and plays that G/F hybrid. Was a 40% from behind the arc w/115 attempts (just shy of 50% of all his attempts). He also had 52 FT attempts last year, but 74 & 72 respectively the two years before, which indicates to me a guy who also likes to drive to the rim.

I rewatched Schwartz highlights and I really like his game as well. He has a little bit of Jordan Miller in him but I think he is a little bit more athletic and polished. He creates his own shot and seems like he has good court vision. I think hes going to be a primary scorer this year and really a big piece of Mason's potential success. If Otis Frazier can learn a lot from Schwartz, I see him being a similiar type of player for Mason down the line at that G/F spot.

Last edited:

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
I think hes going to be a primary scorer this year and really a big piece of Mason's potential success. If Otis Frazier can learn a lot from Schwartz, I see him being a similiar type of player for Mason down the line at that G/F spot.

At CU they had McKinley Wright who was First Team All Pac10 and accounted for 22% of the team's scoring (shots taken & made buckets). Schwartz was essentially the third option, just behind Jeriah Horne.

I could easily see Cooper being our go-to scorer, but beyond that I'm not sure who else would be ahead of Schwartz in getting shots. Maybe Oduro continues his trajectory or Polite has a break-out year, but even then that just helps space out the floor for more open looks for Schwartz.

Mason32

Starter
Wasn't Schwartz basically a bigger guard at CU? They had legit forwards up front, Mason doesn't right now

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Wasn't Schwartz basically a bigger guard at CU? They had legit forwards up front, Mason doesn't right now

May or may not have...we're unsure of Henry, Kabimba (and to a lesser extent Jones, who most likely will need time).

Would be nice if Jones could grow into a stretch 4 role by the middle of his freshman year so we'll have depth there.

Reports sound like Henry should be good to decent depth behind Oduro at the 5 this year. Oduro probably plays more minutes this year than last, too.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Look for the offense to run through Oduro. He is skilled enough to score inside and out if he’s not doubled — if he is, there will be plenty of open 3s for Schwartz and Cooper to feast on. Those 3 should be taking the vast majority of the shots.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I could easily see Cooper being our go-to scorer...
I try not to read too much into watching an open practice, but this was my first takeaway a few weeks ago just based on Cooper's ability to create for himself and the apparent green light he has from the coaches. Cooper, Schwartz and Oduro are all going to get enough shots to potentially be our leading scorer, so it wouldn't surprise me to see any one of them lead us in that category on a given night.

Mason32

Starter
May or may not have...we're unsure of Henry, Kabimba (and to a lesser extent Jones, who most likely will need time).

Would be nice if Jones could grow into a stretch 4 role by the middle of his freshman year so we'll have depth there.

Reports sound like Henry should be good to decent depth behind Oduro at the 5 this year. Oduro probably plays more minutes this year than last, too.

People need to get over Blake Jones being a stretch 4, that's about 2 years away if all goes well. You can't throw a skinny kid with no US basketball experience into the 4 or 5 in this conference. He's more likely to be a tall 3 one day.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
People need to get over Blake Jones being a stretch 4, that's about 2 years away if all goes well. You can't throw a skinny kid with no US basketball experience into the 4 or 5 in this conference. He's more likely to be a tall 3 one day.
At Mason, we refer to that as the Moldoveanu Principle.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
McKillop seems to find a way — Brajkovic is Davidson’s 5 and he is like 205 pounds soaking wet.

The 4 is a perimeter position for most teams now and Blake will be a perfect fit as he gains strength. Hopefully he isn’t gonna be guarding A-10 wings because that would be a bad deal for him and us.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
At Mason, we refer to that as the Moldoveanu Principle.

L was still playing with two traditional bigs, though. Jones will be on the perimeter in English’s offense whether he is the “3” or “4.” He might get pushed around defensively guarding 4s on the other side.

Seems like they’re planning on Frazier being everyone’s backup right now.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
McKillop seems to find a way — Brajkovic is Davidson’s 5 and he is like 205 pounds soaking wet.

The 4 is a perimeter position for most teams now and Blake will be a perfect fit as he gains strength. Hopefully he isn’t gonna be guarding A-10 wings because that would be a bad deal for him and us.
I bet any amount of money you want he weighs more than Josh.... Brajkovic is much taller and looks to be as built as JO..
Also don't forget Mennenga and Kristensen who would both be our largest guys also

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
At CU they had McKinley Wright who was First Team All Pac10 and accounted for 22% of the team's scoring (shots taken & made buckets). Schwartz was essentially the third option, just behind Jeriah Horne.

I could easily see Cooper being our go-to scorer, but beyond that I'm not sure who else would be ahead of Schwartz in getting shots. Maybe Oduro continues his trajectory or Polite has a break-out year, but even then that just helps space out the floor for more open looks for Schwartz.

Yeah I agree. Even if Schwartz isn't the guy (JO or Cooper are) I suspect he'll be a top 3 scoring option. I just think his experience and ability are going to really help the program this year. Plus the kid can shoot 3s.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I bet any amount of money you want he weighs more than Josh.... Brajkovic is much taller and looks to be as built as JO..
Also don't forget Mennenga and Kristensen who would both be our largest guys also
With as much baby fat as Josh has lost over the past 2 summers, you’re probably right. He’s pretty skinny now.