Possible Athletic Director scenarios

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
This does mean another year of Paul Ball. Going to be really tough to go through evaluation & hiring of new AD, let him/her do their evaluation, and fire/hire a new coach.

On the plus side, I'm also betting it means Hewitt's got 1 year left.

Whit Babcock was hired as the new athletic director at Virginia Tech, fired James Johnson and replaced him with Buzz Williams in less than two months.

Obviously all of those things are easier to do when you have mega football dollars funding your athletic department.

But the point is, it's possible.

Babcock didn't need much time to evaluate JJ before realizing that their program was headed in the wrong direction, and I don't think our new AD would struggle to arrive at the same conclusion.

EDIT: As has been noted, GW replaced Kvancz and Hobbs on a similar timetable as VT. So there really is no reason why we can't do the same.

Last edited:

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Would we prefer the hiring of an athletic administrator from a school with football? Now, I'm not saying that Mason should start a football program, but shouldn't the school give football the appropriate consideration?

Unless the new guy is a proven fundraiser, my guess is that someone coming from a school with a football program isn't something that will be seen as an asset by Cabrera. And the ability needed to be a fundraiser at a football school may not be all that transferable to a situation like Mason's that is unlikely to have a football program without some major donor in the wings. This last statement is assuming that fundraising is easier when a school has a football program, given the larger number of fans going to games (at least with BCS football).

Another caveat--the A10 is basketball-centric. Wasn't the argument with the CAA that trying to upgrade the conference in football the reason for the exodus of key schools?

What would you all think of a woman AD? Someone who has worked for the NCAA, and two major BCS schools. And is under 45? Amy Folan heads up the Texas Longhorn Foundation and is highly regarded by former AD DeLoss Dodds, saying at one point "She's ready to be an AD today," he says. "She just needs the opportunity"

Is it crazy to think Dr C is forward enough thinking to go out and hire a woman to be Mason's next AD?

OP
G

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
What would you all think of a woman AD? Someone who has worked for the NCAA, and two major BCS schools. And is under 45? Amy Folan heads up the Texas Longhorn Foundation and is highly regarded by former AD DeLoss Dodds, saying at one point "She's ready to be an AD today," he says. "She just needs the opportunity"

Is it crazy to think Dr C is forward enough thinking to go out and hire a woman to be Mason's next AD?

She's a compliance officer. I would be open to her if she had a strong vision for the growth of our program here and how to get the money to take is to the next level, but compliance officers tend to be more conservative.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Man or woman, black or white or yellow or brown, all I care about is bringing in the green. It really is that simple.

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Man or woman, black or white or yellow or brown, all I care about is bringing in the green. It really is that simple.
Agreed. I'd take a squirrel if they could bring in the money.....

PF49, I hope you don't buy into the Maryland propagandists who try to pin the blame for everything wrong with Maryland's AD on Yow. She's doing just fine at NCSU. Their record in every sport has gotten better and they're bringing in more money. The problem at Maryland wasn't Yow...it's their bandwagon fanbase that bailed once they weren't going to BCS bowls and Final Fours.

KAOriginal

All-American
Dangerous waters my friends. We have all been looking to a new AD as an agent of change for our disaster of a basketball program.

The problem now is a President without NCAA athletics experience except at Mason having to decide on who will be the new leader. Now while Cabrera has impressed me with his youth, energy and modern thinking....there's still the "unknown" factor out there on how he wants athletics handled going forward. He came into situation that didn't need changes. But now that he gets to put his thumbprint on it...who knows.

In honor of our being a university "to the world" and our extreme fascination with diversity at any cost ....for all we know some woman from South Korea who loves and only knows the "polka dot" ball could be on Revolution1 (Mason's G5) heading to sign a deal right now...because that will make everyone "feel good."

Hang on folks.....

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Dangerous waters my friends. We have all been looking to a new AD as an agent of change for our disaster of a basketball program.

The problem now is a President without NCAA athletics experience except at Mason having to decide on who will be the new leader. Now while Cabrera has impressed me with his youth, energy and modern thinking....there's still the "unknown" factor out there on how he wants athletics handled going forward. He came into situation that didn't need changes. But now that he gets to put his thumbprint on it...who knows.

In honor of our being a university "to the world" and our extreme fascination with diversity at any cost ....for all we know some woman from South Korea who loves and only knows the "polka dot" ball could be on Revolution1 (Mason's G5) heading to sign a deal right now...because that will make everyone "feel good."

Hang on folks.....

I think YouTube sensation PSY would make a wonderful AD

Pablo

Hall of Famer

Hang on folks.....

Regardless of his inexperience, I'd rather have Cabrera hiring the next AD than Merten.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Point of all...when a new AD is named...it is time to let him know what the fans think ASAP........

It wouldn't be terribly unusual for there to be meetings open to faculty (and presumably alums) for the position when the finalists are on campus for each of their interviews.

It behooves the Patriot Club to have representation (perhaps they are already part of the process) and/or to let alums know when these meetings will be.

Keep you ear to the ground for an announcement of the search committee.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Dr. C has known since Jan if not sooner about TOC leaving. I wonder if the back channels were opened then or if he waited til now to begin the search for the next AD.

OP
G

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The replies on the Facebook post were none too flattering. The former women's lacrosse player, who talked about the health of all the sports, most damning of all.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
I think Dave Braine is available. He's got experience as an AD in Virginia and is a former football asst. coach under Pepper Rodgers.