Possible Athletic Director scenarios

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Since it's obviously now there won't be a coaching change this year (and it looks like all the assistant coaches are staying as well, thereby erasing any possibility our team will get any better). Let's focus on what really needs to happen: getting rid of Mr. Thomas O'Connor.

The dream scenario: Tom O'Connor announces his retirement in early April and the President hires an aggressive replacement who immediately communicates a series of tangible metrics the men's basketball team must meet for Hewitt to come back for a fifth season.

The nightmare scenario: Tom O'Connor hangs on for another three to four years, extending Hewitt after year four "because he had a young team and he needs a chance to get more A-10 caliber players." And we are stuck with Hewitt for another four years.

I think it's highly unlikely Cabrera fires someone as long tenured and "well respected" as Tom O'Connor, so I think the goal is to convince Cabrera that it's time to not so gently nudge O'Connor into retiring sooner than than later.

KAOriginal

All-American
Im still banking on the fact that TOC sold his house last year and is living on campus says he's ready to get out.....

He does like living where he does, so I don't think it's a given.

But I don't think he likes crying himself to sleep every night, so who knows.

I know when I am AD the vcu sympathizers will wear gold stars so I can readily identify them, and the baseball team will have a glorious new stadium.

JPgmuswim

Starter
I had heard last fall that TOC would be retiring by the end of April. Since we haven't heard anything about it I am guessing that the person who told me was incorrect.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
He does like living where he does, so I don't think it's a given.....

If he is living in Masonvale, as someone said earlier, my sense is that faculty/staff could only do that for a finite amount of time (2 yrs?). On the other hand, I understand that Masonvale has some problem filling vacancies.

Moving to Masonvale would seem to be a step in the direction of retirement. More of a temporary stop, but I don't have any direct knowledge of his post-retirement plans at all.

Harry

Starter
Moving to Masonvale would seem to be a step in the direction of retirement. More of a temporary stop, but I don't have any direct knowledge of his post-retirement plans at all.
Hewitt started his Mason career in Masonvale. Maybe he is planning to retire when his contract is over...

KAOriginal

All-American
Holy crap. You think was a jab at TOC? This was written 2 days ago discussing how basketball success brings success to the university overall.....

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/l...cle_fa062ce2-712f-5df1-be23-ac8fc1c6df68.html

Robby Robinson, vcu’s associate athletic director of external affairs, said capitalizing on the exposure that comes from the team’s on-court success has been a boon to the university and the athletic department.

“It goes back to the old saying that athletics is the front porch of a university,” Robinson said. “The corporate sponsorship revenues enhance the athletic department. And when we have a higher profile athletic department, the school becomes higher profile.”

Robinson said the university has seen sponsorships jump an average of 25 percent each year since the Final Four run in 2011. This year, it’s up 27 percent.

“For sponsorships, that’s pretty good. Especially in this day and age,” he said.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
TOC should follow the Elderly Cuban down to Florida and enjoy a comfy retirement playing shuffleboard.

It's time to breathe new life into our AD.

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
When your front porch has dog shit on it and a couple of faded old patio chairs, you want people coming in the side door.

Old Man

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
We have astro turf on our front porch and an old rusted out swing glider.

One of those rusted swing gliders where you have to brush off the rust and paint chips before you go on a recruiting trip so the recruits will think you are still relevant and have not gotten old.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

corpkid

Four-star Recruit
These mental images of Mason's front porch are depressing. It won't be long before everybody is in a room, "Hi I'm _____ and I'm a Mason fan. It's been ____ since I had faith in the program."

OP
G

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
You mean we aren't already there?

For whatever reason some people are still holding out hope that next year won't be as bad as this season. But without a whisper that we're even making a change at the assistant coaching level (which with a season this bad, should be a given that someone, anyone is a scapegoat), I can't imagine it being true.

Maybe we'll hear something after the NCAA tournament, but it's not like we'd be poaching an assistant from any of the teams still playing...