OT: The Manya Puppione Era Has Apparently Ended

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Potential candidate for head coach - https://vcuathletics.com/sports/womens-soccer/roster/coaches/kelly-keelan/816

"Keelan had a remarkable four-year playing career at George Mason, playing both goalkeeper and forward. As a junior in 2008, the All-Colonial Athletic Association selection and team captain led the Patriots in goals, points, saves, and shutouts. In 71 career games, including 40 starts, Keelan collected 21 goals, 11 assists, 58 saves, and a 1.39 goals-against average."
Impressive resume. If Todd Bramble doesn't want the permanent job, she should be considered.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"When it became apparent Sarah Fuller was going to make history, Kelly Keelan stopped the car.

The George Mason alumna veered off the side of the road on the way back to her parents' house outside of Philadelphia and turned the game on from her phone. Like so many others on Saturday, she wanted to see Fuller become the first woman to play in a Power 5 Conference college football game when she kicked off to open the second half of Vanderbilt's Southeastern Conference matchup against Missouri.

'I wanted to pull over, show my support, and take in the moment,' Keelan said. 'It was a proud moment. The fact she had the courage and the guts to just walk onto a football team—a SEC-level football team—without fear or hesitation is pretty impressive.'

Keelan had more than a rooting interest, though.

As an assistant coach for the Vanderbilt women's soccer team in charge of the goalkeepers, Keelan watched Fuller grow over the last four years. Fuller overcame not only two foot injuries and a back injury but she also battled yearly competition for the starting goalkeeper spot—a position she won over for the last nine games this fall.

'She put her head down and just kept working and never quit,' Keelan said. 'Although we've had tough conversations with her about playing time, as it is a difficult position to win over at times and with her injuries, she just kept pushing. She wasn't going to hear the word "no" anymore, and when the opportunity came to win the starting position, she took it.'

Just one day after helping Vanderbilt win its first SEC women's soccer tournament championship in 26 years, Fuller once again chose not to say no. Asked to help a football team ravaged by COVID-19, she stepped up to the challenge and five days later delivered a gender barrier-breaking kick."

"In the classroom, Keelan quickly realized the degree she wanted to pursue after taking an introductory sport management course taught by current CEHD Interim Dean Robert Baker. The course 'kickstarted' and 'sold' the sport management program for her, and she turned to Baker for help and support throughout her college career.

Baker, the former director of the School of Sport, Recreation, and Tourism Management, recalls Keelan as an engaged student who was strategic in maximizing her education for the benefit of her long-term career.

'It became evident over time that moving into the leadership and coaching arena was something she was committed to, passionate about,' Baker said. 'She wasn’t the kind of person who was going to let her advancement in coaching happen to her—she was going to make it happen. She was determined. I’m not at all surprised that she is advancing in coaching given that she is goal oriented, she is disciplined, she is ethical—all the things people want in a leader.

'She was displaying that kind of passion and dedication as a student.'"

Last edited:

HoopsAdmin

Administrator
Staff member

psyclone

Hall of Famer
New coach hired - Aaron Brunner was an assistant at FSU and is married to a former Patriot women’s team player:

Woodbridge HS Hall of Fame​

Kristin Portell​

Soccer/Basketball – 1998-2002​

KristinPortell.jpg

Kristin Portell was a four-year soccer and basketball letter winner at Woodbridge Senior High School 1998 through 2002. Although, Kristin missed much of her junior soccer season to injury, during her four years at Woodbridge, the soccer teams held a 67 wins, 6 losses, and 2 ties record including three Cardinal District Championships, three Northwest Region Championships, and one state championship while she was a sophomore. The only season that Woodbridge did not win a district or regional championship that she played was the year 2000-01, while Kristin was sidelined with an injury. During Kristin’s freshman season, Woodbridge made it to the state semi-finals and her senior season, Woodbridge advanced to the state championship game before suffering defeat.

Along the way Kristin was as a second-team all-district pick as a freshman and again was selected to the all-district first team and all-region second team as a sophomore. She earned All-Cardinal District and All-Northwest Region honors as a senior. She also named to All-Metropolitan Washington (by The Washington Post) second team as a senior.
Kristin also played basketball for four seasons leading Woodbridge to an 84-25 record over that time. She helped lead Woodbridge to the Cardinal District championship in 2000 and 2002 and a Northwest Region titles her senior season in 2002. She also helped Woodbridge advance to the in both 1999 and 2002. Kristin earned All-Cardinal District second-team honors in each of final three basketball seasons. She was a team captain as a senior while being named to all-area teams by the Potomac News and The Washington Post, and the Prince William Extra. Although a great two-sport athlete at Woodbridge, Kristin attended George Mason on a soccer scholarship.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"'I want to express my sincere gratitude and appreciation to Todd Bramble, our Deputy Athletics Director, Intercollegiate Sports and Interim Women's Soccer Coach, for his leadership this past season as well as directing our search to find an outstanding new leader and head coach for our women's soccer program,' added Lewis.

'Mason Athletics is committed to supporting Aaron in re-energizing our women's soccer program and creating a winning culture for our student-athletes to achieve academic success and compete for championships. We are also thrilled that Aaron's wife, the former Kristin Portell, a graduate and four-year letterwinner, is returning to George Mason. Welcome home, Brunner family'!"

This was once a dominant program in the country. It's time to plan for a new soccer/lacrosse stadium near the future George Mason Cricket Stadium.

Last edited:
New coach hired - Aaron Brunner was an assistant at FSU and is married to a former Patriot women’s team player:
Genuinely holy shit, what a hire by Marvin and crew- FSU WSOC is UConn WBB levels of dominate over the last decade. That's a hell of a pull for what may be a heck of a rebuild.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
What I find interesting is that Todd Bramble was likely involved in both the hire of Puppione and Brunner. Did Bramble advise Edwards that Puppione was the best candidate when she was hired, or did Edwards settle on her?

Regardless, it appears that Mason now has a President and AD who will not tolerate mediocrity.

Last edited:

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
What I find interesting is that Todd Bramble was likely involved in both the hire of Puppione and Brunner. Did Bramble advise Edwards that Puppione was the best candidate when she was hired, or did Edwards settle on her?

Regardless, it appears that Mason now has a President and AD who will tolerate mediocrity.
I'm assuming you meant "not tolerate" mediocrity.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Regardless, it appears that Mason now has a President and AD who will tolerate mediocrity.
This is what I'm really excited about. It's been awhile since we've had a duo who are equally as enthusiastic as they are committed to Mason athletics (and understand the value!)....looking forward to watching their process unfold, with hopefully some big projects/milestones reached along the way.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Hell of a hire, this guy's resume is great. Selling he helped build a National Champion and powerhouse program will only help attract top athletes to our program. VA, MD and NC are soccer hot beds and hopefully he can get some ladies to stay local.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Hell of a hire, this guy's resume is great. Selling he helped build a National Champion and powerhouse program will only help attract top athletes to our program. VA, MD and NC are soccer hot beds and hopefully he can get some ladies to stay local.
I remember (yeah, I know) in about '69 when Vienna had its first youth soccer program. Our coaches were dads that had 3×5 index cards telling them the rules.
But boy did we have fun!!
I also remember going to RFK twice to see Pele and the NY Cosmos play vs the Diplomats. I still have the programs.
Oh, and also back in my day....:ROFLMAO:

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I remember (yeah, I know) in about '69 when Vienna had its first youth soccer program. Our coaches were dads that had 3×5 index cards telling them the rules.
But boy did we have fun!!
I also remember going to RFK twice to see Pele and the NY Cosmos play vs the Diplomats. I still have the programs.
Oh, and also back in my day....:ROFLMAO:

You can go to Audi field and see Messi play next year if you so desire!

Oh, and if we are talking about women’s soccer, the Washington Spirit have like 6 or 7 national team regulars on their team. They also play at Audi field.