OT: The A10 is Expected to Add Men's Lacrosse

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
If so, should Mason reassess its current sports and consider transitioning from club lacrosse to an NCAA team?

"The Atlantic-10 is expected to add men’s lacrosse. Richmond, Saint Joseph’s, St. Bonaventure and UMass are full-time members of the conference. Fairfield, High Point, and Hobart are expected affiliate members."
Nope Mason needs less sports not more. Can’t win anything in any of our current money pit sports why add another

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Exactly. As cool as it would be, it really isn't feasible. Men's Lacrosse rosters are usually pretty huge... like 40+ players. Plus, I think we'd have to add another woman's sport bc of Title 9 too.

Not if you cut a bunch of mens sports first (I think Pablo was intimating this in his post, if sim interpreting it right)…

I think we’d have the same problem being competitive in lacrosse as we do in mens soccer (meaning despite the talent and history of the sport in the area), just too many programs in the area who have history here already. We’d be competing against some of the most historic and powerful lacrosse programs in the country right in our backyard.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Not if you cut a bunch of mens sports first (I think Pablo was intimating this in his post, if sim interpreting it right)…

Yes, I believe that it's time for Mason to reassess its current sports, many of which are not competitive as sleeperpick correctly stated. If the school is not willing to commit the requisite resources to compete for championships, then what's the point of having the sports? And, IMO, this includes baseball that plays at a stadium without lights.

KAOriginal

All-American
Exactly. As cool as it would be, it really isn't feasible. Men's Lacrosse rosters are usually pretty huge... like 40+ players. Plus, I think we'd have to add another woman's sport bc of Title 9 too.
No need. Add the team....compose the team of men identifying as women who choose to play against men vs other women.

Women competing in male sports. Meets Title 9. Shows diversity and empowerment.

Sit back and dare the NCAA to argue that position.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yes, I believe that it's time for Mason to reassess its current sports, many of which are not competitive as sleeperpick correctly stated. If the school is not willing to commit the requisite resources to compete for championships, then what's the point of having the sports? And, IMO, this includes baseball that plays at a stadium without lights.

Might be a good strategy to see if alumni step up to not only save the teams but put them in a competitive position: hey we’re eliminating mens volleyball, soccer, tennis, golf, and baseball (it’s 14 teams to be D1 compliant right?). The wrestling alums come strong every year, so we will let them stick around.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Might be a good strategy to see if alumni step up to not only save the teams but put them in a competitive position: hey we’re eliminating mens volleyball, soccer, tennis, golf, and baseball (it’s 14 teams to be D1 compliant right?). The wrestling alums come strong every year, so we will let them stick around.
They need to give the wrestling alum a statue for what they do for that team.

KAOriginal

All-American
Or we could not make lame, played out "jokes" at trans peoples' expense...
It's not a joke. It''s a practical possibility that will happen one way or another at some point. And the NCAA should be prepared to manage it.

The fact that you don't see the possibility that there are that many trans people where this could eventually happen shows your ignorance and lack of sensitivity to the trans community.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
We are in the Mecca area for Lax. Georgetown, UMD, UVA, Johns Hopkins, Towson, Richmond, Delaware, etc. are big time lax programs and invest tons in to their programs. Will take a huge overhaul and tons of money to even field a Lax team.

My friend is the Mens Lax coach at Centreville high school (he went to Longwood) and we have often talked over the past 10 years about why GMU doesn't have a team - main reason he has heard is we never had the resources internally to do the heavy lifting needed to field a program via TOC. He would ask our AD to host camps and coaches clinics and they would never reach out. I don't think Brad wants to touch this as he is busy trying to get Mens bball back to relevancy and getting many of our teams relevant in their leagues and being competitive and eventually good again.

Keep Wrestling and Men's Volleyball.... we are usually good in these sports every year. Virginia Tech, NC State, Penn State, etc. are all very good wrestling programs that pull big time recruits from the Mid-Atlantic states and up north, but there are enough wrestlers around PA, NJ, Ohio, VA where we can recruit and be good within our conference every year.

We can cut Tennis, Golf, Cross Country.

Last edited:

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
I like wrestling and don’t want to see it go, but I would argue your point about the team usually being good. I looked at the last 15 years records:

9-8
0-4 covid
9-9
9-7
4-13
7-12
8-15
10-12
6-12
4-16
6-17
0-14
3-10-1
6-10-1
13-5

A combined 94-164-2

Last edited:

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Didn’t cross country do well and win the a10 within the last few years?

Also, I’m watching. Behave everyone.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Didn’t cross country do well and win the a10 within the last few years?

Also, I’m watching. Behave everyone.

Yes. They also feed the T&F team, if I’m not mistaken. Also, isn’t Old Man’s daughter a runner with Cross Country?

As for wrestling, so long as their alum keep pumping 50k+ every year into the program to keep it afloat I’ve got no issues with keeping them around. I know the team hasn’t been strong, but I think we usually have a few who are top 25 in their class and make the national championships every year.

Masonfan3

Starter
For what it is worth..mens volleyball, golf, and baseball alumni (to go with wrestling) all donate more than the basketball alum. Shit..only 7% of basketball alumni donated last year and 0% of the young alumni. Obviously we aren’t cutting basketball but there is something seriously wrong with that number.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I like wrestling and don’t want to see it go, but I would argue your point about the team usually being good. I looked at the last 15 years records:

9-8
0-4 covid
9-9
9-7
4-13
7-12
8-15
10-12
6-12
4-16
6-17
0-14
3-10-1
6-10-1
13-5

A combined 94-164-2

Their dual and team records look like crap here but to an extent it is more of an individual sport, however, it is recognized as both. As a wrestler, you are trying to win your matches on both ends (individual and team dual) but ultimately each wrestler us trying to win their division and make it to the NCAA's to become a National Champion or even place. Winning a NC as an individual is more celebrated than a team winning it across the wrestling landscape since everyone analyzes the individuals in the weight classes first and then overall team makeups. Hell, our team scoring 15 points this year against Virginia Tech is an accomplishment, even though we lost the overall match.

To Gemini's point we usually send wrestlers to NCAA's on a consistent basis. To have a wrestler place at the NCAA's is big time and can bring notoriety to your program.

I myself was a wrestler in high school and had 2 of my close friends from high school were wrestlers here from 1998-2003. I remember always talking to them and they did have a team first mentality and also cared about themselves and their individual records and getting to the NCAA's as their main goal.

I remember going to matches and us being good back then - we would get in to heated battles with ODU who were usually dominant as they would pull VA Beach wrestlers as that was the most wrestler rich area in the state of Virginia - lots of State Champs and place winners in that region. UVA would also wrestle us in the early 2000s and we would have good matches with them.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
No need. Add the team....compose the team of men identifying as women who choose to play against men vs other women.

Women competing in male sports. Meets Title 9. Shows diversity and empowerment.

Sit back and dare the NCAA to argue that position.
f**king nailed it, Chapelle