OT - GMU Takes a Lead in "E-Sports"

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I wont get into how calling this a sport feeds into the weakening of the American male and masculinity - but interesting that Mason is going all in on this.

"
With the recent craze of esports continuing to expand into the collegiate sports landscape, George Mason University is keen on building a winning program. In just a short period of time, the Patriots have put together several elite squads across multiple games.

Currently, they’re boasting 130 competitors at the varsity level, and in their first year with an all-woman team, the Patriots have something special in the works.

Chris Kumke, an MBA candidate at GMU and one of the program’s student founders, envisions big things for GMU esports. As a former soccer player at Shenandoah University and athletic trainer, Kumke wants to apply that same mindset, preparation, and strategy to the esports program at GMU.

“There’s currently a streaming schedule, broadcasting schedule, and different team schedules for each varsity squad. So, we try to make the most of our offseason which takes place during the summer while working in some scrimmages and holding a few practices each day,” Kumke said.

Kumke also hopes to build lasting connections within the GMU esports team as they continue to grow with each season. With his coaching acumen and winning mentality, Kumke knows that he’s quickly become a part of something huge at GMU. He feels that they’ve already achieved so much, but there’s still plenty he can do to push their esports players to the next level. "

OP
Pikapppatri8

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I think the question of what a sport is or not a sport is a valid one--one we can have without bringing up political stuff like ''masculinity is under attack''
OK fair - I was not bringing up a political point - just pointing out the examples of males in the younger cohort seem more adept at jerking a joy stick or swiping their phone than doing real things in the real world that require sweat energy strength and focus. Calling a cohort of males under achieving and weak sauce is an insult - not a political statement.

OP
Pikapppatri8

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I'm not a gamer, unless you count dominating the Intelivision II circuit in upstate NY back in the day. But I ask this- since we have a team, would you rather a Mason esports team that is elite or one that sucks?
Intellivision - given the time and technology had great games.

FreeGunston12

All-American
I think the question of what a sport is or not a sport is a valid one--one we can have without bringing up political stuff like ''masculinity is under attack''
Took a class at Mason that tried to define a sport - something along the lines of requiring athletic qualities and having a defense. . . Sorry runners, swimmers, cheerleaders, and other "competitors".

OP
Pikapppatri8

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Took a class at Mason that tried to define a sport - something along the lines of requiring athletic qualities and having a defense. . . Sorry runners, swimmers, cheerleaders, and other "competitors".
Or risk an injury and not just carpel tunnel......

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
OK fair - I was not bringing up a political point - just pointing out the examples of males in the younger cohort seem more adept at jerking a joy stick or swiping their phone than doing real things in the real world that require sweat energy strength and focus. Calling a cohort of males under achieving and weak sauce is an insult - not a political statement.

It’s probably just best you don’t comment on what you don’t understand.

Besides, most of these e-players are probably going into lucrative IT fields and we could use that energy as potential future donors!

OP
Pikapppatri8

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
It’s probably just best you don’t comment on what you don’t understand.

Besides, most of these e-players are probably going into lucrative IT fields and we could use that energy as potential future donors!

I think I understand enough to comment. Thanks though. I am a Mason Graduate in the IT field and so is my oldest son. And I agree - more power to them and they MAY go into a lucrative field. They could also smoke pot all day, play games and live at home until 35. Both are possible.

But in my opinion - and yes - I have a right to my opinion - its not a sport. I stand by that statement - no apology, no concession, and no sorry.

iu

Last edited:

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I think I understand enough to comment. Thanks though. I am a Mason Graduate in the IT field and so is my oldest son. And I agree - more power to them and they MAY go into a lucrative field. They could also smoke pot all day, play games and live at home until 35. Both are possible.

But in my opinion - and yes - I have a right to my opinion - its not a sport. I stand by that statement - no apology, no concession, and no sorry.

iu
I tend to agree 100%... funny having a school teacher tell an IT person how video game savants will wind up successful in IT lol

Last edited:

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
YES.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

iu
Agreed. It's like someone telling you you can't have an opinion on whether or not Pluto is a planet unless you are a scientist, or abortion unless you are a woman. Whatever that is.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
It’s the unnecessary value judgements I’m taking issue with, especially the stereotyping these kids as though they are some rando on Twitch and not dedicated competitive players who need dedication, focus, and mental stamina to compete at a high level. It would be like comparing the guys who go to the bowling alley to have a couple of pitchers and toss the ball down the lane to competitive bowlers.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
It’s the unnecessary value judgements I’m taking issue with, especially the stereotyping these kids as though they are some rando on Twitch and not dedicated competitive players who need dedication, focus, and mental stamina to compete at a high level. It would be like comparing the guys who go to the bowling alley to have a couple of pitchers and toss the ball down the lane to competitive bowlers.
Is stack cupping a sport?, rubix cube? minesweeper? Kids and adults can be talented video gamers that doesn’t make them athletes nor prove they will turn into dedicated IT professionals that don’t live in their moms basement till 35

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Is stack cupping a sport?, rubix cube? minesweeper? Kids and adults can be talented video gamers that doesn’t make them athletes nor prove they will turn into dedicated IT professionals that don’t live in their moms basement till 35
True, regardless of what kind of person they are or how successful (or not) they turn out to be, esports is not a sport. Regardless of what name they tag it with.
No value judgement here.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Does it matter what you think, though? If the NCAA says it’s a sport and ESPN says it’s a sport and those who play and follow it say it’s a sport it really doesn’t matter what you or I think. I personally would align it with billards or chess, which are competitive games, but it doesn’t really matter what I think.

I personally think competitive cheerleading is a sport (about as much a sport as gymnastics or figure skating or skateboarding), but it doesn’t matter what I think. The NCAA says it’s not.

And 79 both Sleeper and PiKapp are presupposing what these students are like so yes they are judging them (hence the immasulation and basement tropes they’re throwing around).

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Does it matter what you think, though? If the NCAA says it’s a sport and ESPN says it’s a sport and those who play and follow it say it’s a sport it really doesn’t matter what you or I think. I personally would align it with billards or chess, which are competitive games, but it doesn’t really matter what I think.

I personally think competitive cheerleading is a sport (about as much a sport as gymnastics or figure skating or skateboarding), but it doesn’t matter what I think. The NCAA says it’s not.

And 79 both Sleeper and PiKapp are presupposing what these students are like so yes they are judging them (hence the immasulation and basement tropes they’re throwing around).
ESPN and the NCAA say it's a sport so they can air it and make money...like Poker. And anyway, the opinion of those of us who say it is not a sport is just as valid as any organization which says it is. YMMV.

phoenix-arizona

All-American
I would agree more on the it is not a sport, and maybe cheerleading, swimming, running, aren't sports either but athletic competitions. I have no problem with anyone making those types of arguments and the whole conversation is an interesting one with valid points on both sides. I just take issue with taking this subject and turning it into a criticism about 21st century American masculinity.