OT: Conference Realignment

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"On April 16, HBCU Gameday reported that Howard would join its former MEAC colleagues Hampton at North Carolina A&T in the CAA by 2023-24. Those moves would bring the league to 14 schools, but the conference could still be seeking further expansion."

"The MAAC was untouched by this round of realignment until January, when Monmouth announced its departure for the CAA, effective in 2022-23. Extra Points reports that current NEC member Mount Saint Mary's is a potential target to replace the Hawks."

"HBCU Gameday reported that Howard will depart for the CAA after next season, bringing a conference that had 12 members as recently as 2019 to just seven schools. Included among potential (and necessary) targets for MEAC expansion would be conference-shopping Chicago State, though football-playing members for a conference about to be reduced to five gridiron members will have to be the major priority for MEAC stakeholders."

"The Valley is now at 12 schools, though its additions would not necessarily prevent further expansion. Kansas City, a member of the Summit League, has reportedly been a school on the MVC radar."

"Extra Points reports that current NEC member Mount Saint Mary's is a potential target for the MAAC, and the Mountaineers' departure could prompt the NEC to seek further expansion."

"The OVC will lose three programs in 2022-23, with Austin Peay (ASUN), Belmont (Missouri Valley) and Murray State (Missouri Valley) leaving a conference that lost Eastern Kentucky and Jacksonville State to a previous round of realignment.

The league has thus far countered by adding Little Rock, which comes over from the Sun Belt in 2022-23, Southern Indiana, which is moving up from Division II in 2022 and Lindendwood University, also ascending from D-II in 2022. Those moves bring the league to 10 schools, with potential targets for further expansion reportedly including Western Illinois (Summit League) and Arkansas-Pine Bluff (SWAC) along with current Division II members Hillsdale, Grand Valley State and Lincoln Memorial."

"On April 7, the Lake Charles American Press reported that Lamar was headed back to the Southland after just one season in the WAC in which the Cardinals did not win a conference game in men's basketball. Lamar, which was previously a member of the Southland from 1963-1987 and 1999-2021, is scheduled to return for the 2023-24 season."

"Conferences with no pending membership changes (as of April 18, 2022):
ACC, Big East, Big Ten, Big West, Ivy, MAC, Mountain West, Pac-12, Patriot, SoCon, SWAC, Summit"

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Jon Rothstein Retweeted

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein
·
1h

This means that until Texas and Oklahoma officially join the SEC --- which is currently expected to be the 25-26 academic year --- there will be a 14-team Big 12 for two seasons (23-24, 24-25). That means the likely end of the popular "double round robin" in men's basketball.

Quote Tweet

roth_normal.jpg

Jon Rothstein

@JonRothstein
· 1h

NEWS: Houston, Cincinnati, and UCF are all planning to join the Big 12 for the 23-24 academic year. https://bit.ly/38zlxwE

"BYU --- who is also joining the Big 12 --- has already officially announced that it will leave the WCC and join the conference for the 23-24 academic year in all sports except men's volleyball.

While several sources directly connected to Houston, Cincinnati, and UCF told FanDuel that there are still many logistical things to work through in order to join the Big 12 in 2023, all three programs are still operating with the notion that the upcoming 22-23 season will be their last year in the American Athletic Conference.

A source close to the AAC told FanDuel that conversations are ongoing with the exit fees for Houston, Cincinnati, and UCF.

AAC bylaws require programs who are members of the conference to give a 27-month notice before they leave and pay a $10 million buyout fee.

AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco told ESPN last September that he would be willing to negotiate a higher exit fee for Houston, Cincinnati, and UCF if they were to depart from the AAC at an earlier date than originally anticipated. All three schools will join the Big 12 no later than July 1st, 2024."

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I don’t think there is an obvious #16. I am hoping for Belmont.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I take it you didn’t read the article.

You mean about Temple sinking more money into football? I’m assuming they are hoping a P5 conference is going to call their name at some point?

Wichita State wasn’t mentioned, but other than being somewhat geographically isolated they make the most sense. They don’t have a football team and are all-in on basketball. Their addition truly would make the A10 a three bid League even on “downish” years.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Iona makes a lot of sense. Belmont would be ideal.... new tv market to cash in on. Same with Wichita State... but may be too far west.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Charleston. Great city, great arena, gives Davidson a regional partner again
Iona without Rick isn't attractive
Belmont just bolted for the MVC
Wichita State is the better program of all of these, but its too far west
my $0.02: with streaming carrying so much importance these days, the actual TV markets aren't as important as they used to be.

Charleston. Great city, great arena, gives Davidson a regional partner again
Iona without Rick isn't attractive
Belmont just bolted for the MVC
Wichita State is the better program of all of these, but its too far west
my $0.02: with streaming carrying so much importance these days, the actual TV markets aren't as important as they used to be.

Charleston 100%. media market, regional partner for Davidson.

bravesfan

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Y'all do realize that Davidson is in Western North Carolina and not near the coast, right?

You're better off going with Winthrop if you want a regional partner for Davidson.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Drexel can’t be a serious suggestion. Not a chance they are coming.

I’m interested in Iona although once Rick bolts I’d be concerned. The arena they have is not of A10 quality but they do focus on basketball quite a bit as a university.

Charleston would be a great fit, but I don’t know what they spend on basketball compared to something like an Iona. It could be a tough jump for them but I honestly don’t know.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Y'all do realize that Davidson is in Western North Carolina and not near the coast, right?

You're better off going with Winthrop if you want a regional partner for Davidson.
Obviously its not as close as Mason-GW, but its a relatively short drive compared to having to fly to Kansas (Wichita St) or NYC (Iona)

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Drexel can’t be a serious suggestion. Not a chance they are coming.

I’m interested in Iona although once Rick bolts I’d be concerned. The arena they have is not of A10 quality but they do focus on basketball quite a bit as a university.

Charleston would be a great fit, but I don’t know what they spend on basketball compared to something like an Iona. It could be a tough jump for them but I honestly don’t know.

Iona spends about what we spend on basketball ($3.6 million vs. $3.7 million) and similar to Loyola-Chicago who is coming in this year ($3.8 million). Charleston spends about $1 million less ($2.6 million). Belmont is $2.3 million. Another A10 darling, Siena, is at $1.9 million.

Wichita State, by the way, spends $11.7 million, which is top 8 in the entire country, and easily outspends the next highest spending team Dayton at $5.9 million. Wichita State not exactly getting a return on that investment right now.