OT: Conference Realignment

If you want to go back to the CAA just say that, but nothing else you are saying makes any logical sense whatsoever.

Nothing else I can say other that I am sorry you disagree with me. It's cool. I'm not gonna sit and be upset because you disagree with me.

Just like SMU might not have made a lot of sense for the ACC, but then it happened. It wasn't logical. Deep pocketed boosters made it happen, and it added another media market. A lot of schools like William and Mary have a lot of money.

If you don't think I made any logical sense in my post, know this: nothing in the NCAA is logical these days.

Could William and Mary end up in a better suited league like the Patriot League? Sure. Getting back to my original comment that Davidson needs more southern rivalries with like-minded academic institutions within a short bus-ride away, and Charleston and William and Mary come to mind. Maybe I didn't spell it out that clearly, but that's what I intended. Every school is just one coach away from being a good program again.

I definitely don't want the Old CAA.

I'm late to the game on this discussion. Is the defection of vcu, Dayton, or UMass a real possibility? I'd really hate to lose the first two, don't care much about losing UMass. Since we are all offering ideas for new members, let me add a vote for College of Charleston. Good program and a great city to visit. If we are raiding the CAA, UNCW wouldn't bother me either. Wouldn't want to see W&M again. If we are raiding the Big South, Radford and the already-mentioned WInthrop would both be interesting.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
vcu and Dayton should be in the Big East. Have big basketball fanbases and they have been consistently good for a long time, along with drawing big games consistently. They are hampering themselves by staying in the A10. Not sure why their AD's haven't been knocking down the Big East doors for years.

Let Dayton and the dirty dirty go. Charleston makes sense as next man up. Would love Temple.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
vcu and Dayton should be in the Big East. Have big basketball fanbases and they have been consistently good for a long time, along with drawing big games consistently. They are hampering themselves by staying in the A10. Not sure why their AD's haven't been knocking down the Big East doors for years.

Let Dayton and the dirty dirty go. Charleston makes sense as next man up. Would love Temple.
They have been knocking on the door. Dayton is being blocked by Xavier and vcu doesn’t fit the private school profile. UConn is the only public school in the league and they bring way more to the table than vcu does.

bravesfan

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Yeah Dayton is the obvious one. They'd jump to the Big East and automatically be third in average attendance.

And if they cared about market, they'd go after SLU before vcu. Much larger market, private school, etc.

But reality is: They would only need one.

I would....jpg

I would accept Vermont and/or Iona if Tobin can keep the party going in Westchester County

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
When it comes to which teams truly belong in the A10, I believe that the name of the university carries just as much weight as their performance on the court. Schools bearing the name of a state or major city exude a certain level of prestige in my opinion, adding to the overall appeal of the conference.

With that in mind, I firmly stand by retaining the following schools in the A10: Davidson, Dayton, Richmond, UMASS, URI, and vcu. These institutions contribute to the conference's aura with their well-recognized names.

As we consider potential additions, some from the American East such as Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, and NJIT, seem realistic, as their names resonate regionally. Similarly, schools from the Patriot League like Boston U, Army, and Navy bring both historical significance and a strong identity to the A10. In addition, Delaware from the CAA and Louisiana Tech from CUSA could be intriguing choices for expansion.

In the end, it's not just about the game on the hardwood; it's about building a conference that reflects both athletic excellence and a sense of pride in the names that represent our universities.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Let Dayton and the dirty dirty go.

You want to just let the two most high-profile, successful programs leave the conference? I don't think that's something we should take lightly...it would dramatically diminish the conference overall and there's nobody walking through the door as equitable replacements. (I'm speaking as it relates to basketball)

I get it will likely be out of the A10s hands at some point, but I don't understand the casual "eh who needs them anyways" attitude.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
You want to just let the two most high-profile, successful programs leave the conference? I don't think that's something we should take lightly...it would dramatically diminish the conference overall and there's nobody walking through the door as equitable replacements. (I'm speaking as it relates to basketball)

I get it will likely be out of the A10s hands at some point, but I don't understand the casual "eh who needs them anyways" attitude.
If Willis Reed walks through that door, we'll win the whole dadbob thing!

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Well, there is Wichita State, Memphis, and Temple who might be looking for exit strategies out of a dying AAC conference. I wouldn’t mind them parking their basketball team in the A10.

When it comes to which teams truly belong in the A10, I believe that the name of the university carries just as much weight as their performance on the court. Schools bearing the name of a state or major city exude a certain level of prestige in my opinion, adding to the overall appeal of the conference.

With that in mind, I firmly stand by retaining the following schools in the A10: Davidson, Dayton, Richmond, UMASS, URI, and vcu. These institutions contribute to the conference's aura with their well-recognized names.

As we consider potential additions, some from the American East such as Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, and NJIT, seem realistic, as their names resonate regionally. Similarly, schools from the Patriot League like Boston U, Army, and Navy bring both historical significance and a strong identity to the A10. In addition, Delaware from the CAA and Louisiana Tech from CUSA could be intriguing choices for expansion.

In the end, it's not just about the game on the hardwood; it's about building a conference that reflects both athletic excellence and a sense of pride in the names that represent our universities.
No one but Vermont makes any sense for the A-10 that you just listed.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Well, there is Wichita State, Memphis, and Temple who might be looking for exit strategies out of a dying AAC conference. I wouldn’t mind them parking their basketball team in the A10.
If those schools were to become viable options, then yes. Who knows if the A10 would offer the best landing spot for them...the conference realignment landscape is such a s*** show.

In the meantime, if we're adding CofC but losing someone like Dayton or vcu in the near future....that's not good for us or the league.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
No one but Vermont makes any sense for the A-10 that you just listed.
Yeah they mostly suck at basketball haha. But Vermont and Delaware would both be decent additions.

With that said, if the A10 looses some big hitters, maybe Mason should look to jump ship.

Last edited:

phoenix-arizona

All-American
They have a national championship in football - but their coach was hired away by a foreign team soon after, not sure how they have done since.

It was so bad they shuttered the whole program. I think that coach did pretty okay in England and I've heard he is coming back to the States to coach American football. I've heard he might be in line to take a job at Boston U.