OT - Brion's Grille is closed.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Again, with the "in my day", but in my day the Masonettes did not exist. And the half dozen cheerleaders we did have were, well, not Paper Moon material.

You poor poor man. Back in the early and mid 2000s the all-girl cheerleaders and coed cheerleaders were smoke shows.

OP
Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
A "mini" Chadwicks will likely soon occupy the space leased by Brion's. Better than 50/50 that this happens sooner rather than later.

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Someone should recruit Jason Miskiri to open up a restaurant there. He's probably our only mason basketball alum who has experience owning/operating establishments. He currently runs Society Restaurant and Lounge http://societyss.com/about-us/.

Yes, I realize he had legal issues, but that seems behind him and it would be great to have another alum take over the space.

GreenLantern

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I say it will be a nail salon or paycheck lending store. That seems to be the trend here in Reston

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Thanks. Food is better than I was expecting.

I obviously don't go to the Gold Room on a regular basis, but the few times I have come down for games the last few years it does seem like the food has improved. Its just very crowded and some items run out etc. The alcohol selection has improved though.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I obviously don't go to the Gold Room on a regular basis, but the few times I have come down for games the last few years it does seem like the food has improved. Its just very crowded and some items run out etc. The alcohol selection has improved though.
I’d largely agree with this, the food has def improved but can wildly vary game to game so you have to pay attention to the vendor and if you like/don’t like them. Some are always crowd favorites (Chuys, Chic Fil A, Rocklands BBQ) others are really up to your personal taste. I didn’t notice them running out of food the last few years so as long as you get there before 630 you are generally good. Beer selection is decent, but it’ll never rival a bar. If you are good with generic domestic draft you’ll never be disappointed. One thing I haven’t seen anyone mention that I always thought was a cool plus for the gold room: the pregame coach chats. Some cool little scouting nuggets in those if you are into hearing how the team prepped for a given game. Some games it’s packed with fans from other teams which always confused me since it’s a donor room but oh well. I usually go for most games, even games we went to brions for a beer before, because I felt like it was something I was paying for with the season tickets and I’ll never get too old to turn down free beer. I’ll still be looking for a pregame spot in fairfax for those few games where I’m not feeling the gold room.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
One thing I haven’t seen anyone mention that I always thought was a cool plus for the gold room: the pregame coach chats. Some cool little scouting nuggets in those if you are into hearing how the team prepped for a given game.
Having access to an assistant coach really is an underrated aspect of the Gold Room. When things were going bad over the past few years, it kind of became unintended entertainment. One, we always learned which opposing role player was going to score their career high against us; and two, the "game plan" always included a list of all of the things we weren't going to do that night —such as rebounding, defend the 3, move the ball on offense, etc.

By George.

Starter
So can we transfer the vaccination convo to this thread? I enjoyed following along to that, didn’t think anyone was out of line. I’m just kidding, kinda… #BringBackCovidImpactThread

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Having access to an assistant coach really is an underrated aspect of the Gold Room. When things were going bad over the past few years, it kind of became unintended entertainment. One, we always learned which opposing role player was going to score their career high against us; and two, the "game plan" always included a list of all of the things we weren't going to do that night —such as rebounding, defend the 3, move the ball on offense, etc.

yeah they were comical when coach Kreider would do the spiels too. I remember I snickered when he said “our offense is inside out” and turned to friends saying “that’s what you call this?”

I was pretty sure at one point they’d say “we need to score more than the other team”

Old Man

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Vienna Inn is my favorite, but they haven't had them for a couple of years in the Gold Room. I really don't care for all the fancy food you guys obviously love from Chuy's, etc. Nothing against them, but I want stadium food, but something is go into a restaurant and order. Give me a dog, beer, and popcorn, and I couldn't care less about any of the other food. And yes, I eat like a 12 year old; I hear that from my wife all the time ... but I'm ok with that.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
yeah they were comical when coach Kreider would do the spiels too. I remember I snickered when he said “our offense is inside out” and turned to friends saying “that’s what you call this?”

I was pretty sure at one point they’d say “we need to score more than the other team”
That was 100% a quote from the last few years too. “If we can outrebound them, and outscore them, we should be right there at the end with a chance to win”

emjayar08

Sixth Man
If it's gonna be a chain, Glory Days would be the best option imo. Besides a Hooters, great wings.

Maybe Chickies and Pete's will venture outside of the Philly area...

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
If it's gonna be a chain, Glory Days would be the best option imo. Besides a Hooters, great wings.

Maybe Chickies and Pete's will venture outside of the Philly area...
I wouldn’t hate a glory days there if it’s gotta be a chain either. They at least somewhat support the program.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I say it will be a nail salon or paycheck lending store. That seems to be the trend here in Reston

Brion's space is too big for either of those things.

So, which one of you is going to start a George Mason inspired microbrew and open a gastropub in Brion's place? I'd call it The Experimental Archeologist and brew nothing but Colonial era recipes (including the George Washington Porter).

You're welcome for making you rich.