Oregon State game thread

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Oh, I don't know, maybe because HE IS NOT GOOD? lol

First you said that he never plays (which is obviously wrong this season). Now, you're saying that he hasn't been playing much in Hawaii because "HE IS NOT GOOD". Well, which is it?

I'll say the same thing about Vaughn Gray that I said about Patrick Holloway before this tournament. He needs to improve his shot selection. But, he's a shooter and his teammates need to get him the ball in good shooting position.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
First you said that he never plays (which is obviously wrong this season). Now, you're saying that he hasn't been playing much in Hawaii because "HE IS NOT GOOD". Well, which is it?

I'll say the same thing about Vaughn Gray that I said about Patrick Holloway before this tournament. He needs to improve his shot selection. But, he's a shooter and his teammates need to get him the ball in good shooting position.

I truly think Gray isn't given a fair opportunity to get into the rhythm of the game. He's given similar minutes to Okoloji. They aren't the same type of player and have totally different roles on the team. Leave Gray in for more than two minutes at a time so he can get into the offense and find his shot. Just my opinion. Not stating that Gray is the savior or a great player.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
If I'm not mistaken, Gray had been in the regular rotation through the end of the 1st half of the Iowa State game. So, what happened? And, please don't tell me that "HE IS NOT GOOD".

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
If I'm not mistaken, Gray had been in the regular rotation through the end of the 1st half of the Iowa State game. So, what happened? And, please don't tell me that "HE IS NOT GOOD".

I think he was part of the rotation but I don't really remember him being in a game for more than five minutes at a time very often. Hard to get into the flow of a game and find your shot if you get yanked immediately. I think Gray has a pretty good jump shot and could help us on the offensive end.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
All the pining for Vaughn Gray by some on here is because, simply, he never plays and those people haven't been able to see how bad he actually is. It's easier for them to sleep by thinking that he is some stud that could light it up if they just gave him a chance. He's like a back-up QB. Everybody wants to see him. However, you find out he's a back-up for good reason. In the case of Gray, he's a back-up to a back-up. Closer to a walk-on than anything else.

If by bad you mean unfocused, then I agree with you, but Gray has a ton of natural ability -- he has a smooth stroke, good form, explosive first step and he can finish around the rim.

Now all of that is negated by the fact that he just doesn't seem to care, or forgets he's actually supposed to try half the time. But the kid has got talent.

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
If by bad you mean unfocused, then I agree with you, but Gray has a ton of natural ability -- he has a smooth stroke, good form, explosive first step and he can finish around the rim.

Now all of that is negated by the fact that he just doesn't seem to care, or forgets he's actually supposed to try half the time. But the kid has got talent.

I don't see it. Also, if he actually had any real talent he would play despite not being "focused". They already play plenty that have neither of those attributes as, unfortunate for Hewitt, can't avoid.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023

Gemini, I agree he has a nice stroke, but I've been really disappointed that he hasn't shown more ability or willingness to drive — especially with his size and quickness. I really thought he was going to be more of a slasher and/or stop-and-pop guy, but all he really does is stand on the perimeter.

The sad thing is what this offense desperately needs since we have no back-to-the basket big men is for our guards to penetrate more. Once they get in the lane, they can go all the way to the basket or dish it off to forwards. It will also help us draw more fouls, because the only thing more inexcusable than our FT shooting percentage is the low amount of times we actually get to the line (especially with the new rules).

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Gemini, I agree he has a nice stroke, but I've been really disappointed that he hasn't shown more ability or willingness to drive — especially with his size and quickness. I really thought he was going to be more of a slasher and/or stop-and-pop guy, but all he really does is stand on the perimeter.

The sad thing is what this offense desperately needs since we have no back-to-the basket big men is for our guards to penetrate more. Once they get in the lane, they can go all the way to the basket or dish it off to forwards. It will also help us draw more fouls, because the only thing more inexcusable than our FT shooting percentage is the low amount of times we actually get to the line (especially with the new rules).

I think part of the problem vid a vis our guards getting to the line is our forwards aren't doing the dirty work of sealing off their man or clearing the lane so the forwards are just sitting in the paint waiting for it. They aren't being forced to slide over or help.

Pablo

Hall of Famer

Actually, 51.1% (23-45) of Vaughn Gray's FGA's this season have been inside the arc, including his last FGA (a missed layup).

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Gray's a mystery to me - gobo has always been high on him. I agreed with gobo's about him, but he's running out of time to show what he's got. I guess you can say that about more than just him on this team.

Last edited:

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Actually, 51.1% (23-45) of Vaughn Gray's FGA's this season have been inside the arc, including his last FGA (a missed layup).

I guess I was thinking more about his productivity, because he's only shooting a little better inside the arc (39%) than he is from behind the arc (36%) — the latter of which is actually a pretty good percentage.