Old Friend Visiting..........

Bricker

Starter
We really do need to settle on one derogatory name for Hewitt. We have Bozo the Coach, Paul Blewitt, Program Killer, Program Destroyer, The Wizard of Fairfax, The Thief of Fairfax, Cock Gobbler, and now Hewitt the Clown. And I am sure I am forgetting about 10 other good ones.

Art Vandelay, genius architect of Mason basketball.

bf0748ebea2ce9a7d9a1ae267f9fb7e103622cedf50812a3a1b0d3be0a4876f0.jpg

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
RTD Salary DB (2013)

Houston -$126K
Kreider - $85K
Skeeters - $80K

Well.... I forgot to factor in that Houston is like 60 years old so his salary will be a little greater and his boy Hewitt is hooking him up. I wonder if they go over to Hewitt's house, smoke Cubans on the back porch, and cheers their Brandy and just laugh at all of us poor Mason fans while listening to Queen's Another One Bites the Dust.

mason89

Starter
We really do need to settle on one derogatory name for Hewitt. We have Bozo the Coach, Paul Blewitt, Program Killer, Program Destroyer, The Wizard of Fairfax, The Thief of Fairfax, Cock Gobbler, and now Hewitt the Clown. And I am sure I am forgetting about 10 other good ones.

I'm surprised no one has started a new thread for just such a discussion...

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
  • Paulzo the Coach
  • Paul Ball II
  • TOC's Legacy
  • Dumpster Fire
  • Not Larranaga
  • GMURaider
  • $7 Million Dollar Man
  • Paul the Program Slayer
  • Empty Suit
  • Worst Coach in America
  • Our Old $hitty Coach (coming soon)

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I don't know, I don't think Wells was the kind of guy who was particularly good at a place like Mason. Seemed like he kind of had an unrealistic view of what decent talent at this level should look like.
Though he still might have been the best assistant by default.
Hard to tell if these assistants are actually better than they appear, and Hewitt just doesn't listen to them or whatever.
However, I would want my assistants constantly coaching up kids on the bench, like I saw under L, see at GW, see at Duke, etc. I never see that here, and I think it contributes to some of our on court stupidity. Even the obvious needs to be reiterated sometimes...especially to kids.

Agree that a role of an assistant is to talk to the players on the bench or coming off the court and help shed some knowledge on what the opposing team may be doing where our guy can get an advantage on, show them a move, or tell them what they have been doing wrong to improve in that game situation. Coach them up! I remember seeing mainly all of our old assistants doing this and having a ton of energy during games. Huger, Konkol, Caputo, Courtney were all standing when a big three was made and cheering on our team and turning around to our bench players giving some sort of advice/teaching on a certain play to help score that 3. Those guys were very involved in the game and the teaching aspects during the game. Huger and Courtney would often take a big man aside down near the end of the bench and make them post up against him in his suit to show them something.

These assistants now just sit there. Hardly any emotion, no talking to the bench players really. Jollay sits directly behind the bench so he would know who the more "energetic" assistants are out of this bunch. My guess would be none.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Agree that a role of an assistant is to talk to the players on the bench or coming off the court and help shed some knowledge on what the opposing team may be doing where our guy can get an advantage on, show them a move, or tell them what they have been doing wrong to improve in that game situation. Coach them up! I remember seeing mainly all of our old assistants doing this and having a ton of energy during games. Huger, Konkol, Caputo, Courtney were all standing when a big three was made and cheering on our team and turning around to our bench players giving some sort of advice/teaching on a certain play to help score that 3. Those guys were very involved in the game and the teaching aspects during the game. Huger and Courtney would often take a big man aside down near the end of the bench and make them post up against him in his suit to show them something.

These assistants now just sit there. Hardly any emotion, no talking to the bench players really. Jollay sits directly behind the bench so he would know who the more "energetic" assistants are out of this bunch. My guess would be none.

Has anyone asked a long-time GW or La Salle fan if this is their recollection of Roland Houston? He spent 7 years at GW and 10 at La Salle before coming to Mason.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I hope in a few months we can start calling him "Jay Larranaga's predecessor" or "Scott Cherry's predecessor" or "Former George Mason coach"

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Kreider on working with Hewitt at Ga Tech
“He allowed me to do a lot. I was able to learn a lot from a very good recruiter and a very good coach,” Kreider said. “He’s a team winner, he wants to win, he knows how to win and he knows how to build good chemistry.”

baaaahaaaahaaaaaa!!!

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHAHAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!