More of this!

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
It really is difficult to describe how good Carlos really was, but kudos to Bill for doing just that. I only saw him play one year, but he truly was one of the most gifted scorers I've ever seen. Outside of our NCAAT games, his 42-point performance against Navy was the best college basketball game I've ever attended.

I was fortunate to get to know Carlos after he graduated, which made his tragic death very personal. I still remember his funeral like it was yesterday. There were so many family members, friends, former players and fans in attendance, many people ended up standing outside.

Carlos Yates was loved on and off the court. His jersey should be retired tomorrow.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Carlos Yates was loved on and off the court. His jersey should be retired tomorrow.

You are so right, Tom. The ambivalence Mason has shown toward giving Carlos the honor he deserves is petty and ridiculous.

Whatever mistakes he made after leaving Mason -- and who among us flawed beings hasn't royally screwed up any number of times? -- have to be balanced against everything he accomplished on the court.

Yates is one of the two no-doubters on Mason basketball's Rushmore. Hopefully Edwards will finally put his jersey in the rafters where it belongs.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
It really is difficult to describe how good Carlos really was, but kudos to Bill for doing just that. I only saw him play one year, but he truly was one of the most gifted scorers I've ever seen. Outside of our NCAAT games, his 42-point performance against Navy was the best college basketball game I've ever attended.

I was fortunate to get to know Carlos after he graduated, which made his tragic death very personal. I still remember his funeral like it was yesterday. There were so many family members, friends, former players and fans in attendance, many people ended up standing outside.

It was good to be reminded about Carlos--I do remember that shot from the seat of his pants! What a scoring machine!