Men's Volleyball

Scythe

Starter
That was just awesome...haha

I need to go to more mens volleyball games -- they're very fun to watch.

GMUSig03

All-Conference
Men's volleyball had an amazing weekend sweeping #15 St. Francis and then beating #9 PSU for the 1st time in 8 years 3-1 to vault up to the #2 seed in the conference.

Mason plays Harvard in the tournament semi's on Thursday at 5pm (top 4 teams make tournament, all games played at PSU).

Looks like the move to hire a PSU assistant is paying off!

Pablo

Hall of Famer
http://www.offtheblockblog.com/2016/12/george-mason-tops-penn-state-as-favorite-to-win-eiva/:

"The defending conference champions George Mason became the first team besides Penn State to be ranked No. 1 in the recent history of the EIVA Preseason Coaches Poll.

The Patriots earned all but one first-place vote to finish nine points ahead of the Nittany Lions in the annual preseason poll that was released Monday. Penn State was the only other school to earn a first-place vote.

George Mason reached the NCAA Tournament last season after winning the EIVA Tournament championship to end Penn State’s streak of 18 consecutive conference titles. The Patriots also have a majority of starters returning, including all-conference setter Brian Negron and Off the Block/Springbak, Inc. Preseason All-American libero Johnny Gomez."

GMUSig03

All-Conference
Mason maintained their #11 national ranking and will play 2 home matches this weekend (Friday and Saturday). Saturday is vs #9 Loyola at 7pm, I'm going to try and make it out.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
George Mason MVB‏@GoMasonMVB Apr 17
Thank you all for the amazing support over the course of the season! We promise to come back stronger!
1f49a.png
1f49b.png
1f3d0.png
261d-1f3fc.png
Recap:

aBTiuBNX

https://twitter.com/GoMasonMVB/status/854012210967957504

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Did anyone see the promo for the men's volleyball game during homecoming? Show your ticket and get in for free to see the men play #1 Long Beach State?

The men are currently 4-6, but they play a super ambitious schedule this year, it seems (granted, I know there aren't a ton of men's volleyball teams out there). But So far, they've played:
#15 GCU x2
#7 Loyola Chicago
#11 Lewis
#12 Pepperdine
#5 Ohio State
#14 Ball State;

and will be playing

#1 Long Beach State,
#9 Penn State x2
#12 CSU Northridge
#2 UCLA
and #4 UC Ivrine.

I don't think I've seen that many ranked opponents on their schedule before.

GMUSig03

All-Conference
Did anyone see the promo for the men's volleyball game during homecoming? Show your ticket and get in for free to see the men play #1 Long Beach State?

The men are currently 4-6, but they play a super ambitious schedule this year, it seems (granted, I know there aren't a ton of men's volleyball teams out there). But So far, they've played:
#15 GCU x2
#7 Loyola Chicago
#11 Lewis
#12 Pepperdine
#5 Ohio State
#14 Ball State;

and will be playing

#1 Long Beach State,
#9 Penn State x2
#12 CSU Northridge
#2 UCLA
and #4 UC Ivrine.

I don't think I've seen that many ranked opponents on their schedule before.

St. Francis was also ranked at the beginning of the year and we play them twice in conference. I follow them pretty closely, and this is by far the craziest schedule they have ever had. Even with a losing record, we were getting votes in last weeks poll.

GMUSig03

All-Conference
Mason opens EIVA play in dominant fashion with consecutive 3-0 victories over NJIT and Princeton. They are two of the worse programs in the EIVA based on their records this year, but we won each of the 6 sets 25-16 - that's pretty damn dominant.

#7 PSU (on the road) up next.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Mason opens EIVA play in dominant fashion with consecutive 3-0 victories over NJIT and Princeton. They are two of the worse programs in the EIVA based on their records this year, but we won each of the 6 sets 25-16 - that's pretty damn dominant.

#7 PSU (on the road) up next.

3-0 win against PSU. I believe their first ever win there?

GMUSig03

All-Conference
Yes, first ever win @ PSU. Wow - this OOC schedule has really prepared the team for conference play (I believe they have over come some injuries as well).

So pissed I completely forgot this match was last night and didn't watch.

PSU was ranked 7th, we were 17th, so long as we beat a solid St. Francis today, likely to jump to somewhere around 10th.

GMUSig03

All-Conference
PSU dropped to 10th, we only moved up one spot to 16th. At 8-7 we have wins over current #10 PSU and #11 Ball State, with all of our losses coming to teams ranked: 1, 6, 7, 8, 9, 13 (twice).

Still have road matches in California against #'s 3, 4 and 12, followed by a home match vs PSU, to go.

Hawaii (2), BYU (5), UC Irvine (tied for 13) and UCSB (15) are the only teams in the current top 15 we don't play.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I think we should give props to the men's volleyball team for their 6 game winning streak to open conference play.

GMUSig03

All-Conference
2 games vs Harvard at the RAC Friday and Saturday - win one and we lock up 1st place and host Eiva tournament!