Mason Inn and The Well closing tonight- 6/16

Yossarian

Sixth Man
Tonight, The Well will serve its last meals and drinks. I'm sad to see it go, and I'm a little disappointed by the poor advertising and marketing effort to draw more customers, but the administration has made its decision to go with the real money-maker: international students. At any rate, I've enjoyed going there for dinner and drinks before games and during the off-season.

Beers are $3 tonight and bloody marys are only $2, as they are trying to get rid of their booze. Good place to grab a burger and enjoy happy hour or dinner with the fam tonight.

The Great PATSby

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
"George Mason has decided to renovate the Mason Inn, converting the center into a mix of residential, dining and instructional spaces. The hotel’s 148 guest rooms will become dorm rooms for students, and the restaurant will become a campus dining facility."

Because of the close proximity to the Patriot Center, RAC, Field House and Athletic Fields, I wish Mason would renovate it into really really really nice housing for Athletes. It would be a nice recruiting tool to offer sick a** athletic housing. Although I'm sure there are some NCAA boundaries on how nice athletic housing can be.

Last edited:

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
There is also an auction site selling off of the beds, sheets, etc in the hotel.

I love the towels they have there, but I don't want to buy used towels. Wonder if they are auctioning off any that are new.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
"George Mason has decided to renovate the Mason Inn, converting the center into a mix of residential, dining and instructional spaces. The hotel’s 148 guest rooms will become dorm rooms for students, and the restaurant will become a campus dining facility."

Because of the close proximity to the Patriot Center, RAC, Field House and Athletic Fields, I wish Mason would renovate it into really really really nice housing for Athletes. It would be a nice recruiting tool to offer sick as athletic housing. Although I'm sure there are some NCAA boundaries on how nice athletic housing can be.
Housing can't be just for athletes. I believe the rule is that athletes can't comprise of more than 49% of residents at any one dorm. This rule was enacted many years ago due to the SEC schools building luxury (for the time anyway) dorms just for athletes.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Housing can't be just for athletes. I believe the rule is that athletes can't comprise of more than 49% of residents at any one dorm. This rule was enacted many years ago due to the SEC schools building luxury (for the time anyway) dorms just for athletes.

See how UK has accommodated its basketball team while complying with the NCAA rule - http://www.inflexwetrust.com/2012/0...basketball-team-gets-new-tricked-out-7m-dorm/ & http://thebiglead.com/2012/11/14/john-calipari-tours-the-kentucky-basketball-dorm-video/.

Last edited:

The Great PATSby

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

So we fill the other 51% with hot a** females that like BBC.

In reality, maybe we fill the other 51% with Academic Scholarship Students or have a merit based system like the Lawn at UVA.

GreenLantern

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Gosh I am getting old. Mason Inn came well after I graduated. I was on campus a few weeks ago and I'd get lost with all the new additions.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
According to NCAA rules, schools cannot provide dormitories for the exclusive use of student-athletes. But they can reserve space in on-campus housing for athletes, so the residents at the Wildcat Coal Lodge are a mix of basketball players and students who aren’t scholarship athletes.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/co...lex-for-basketball-players.html#storylink=cpy

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
SO, we could convert the Mason Inn into International Housing / Men's Basketball Housing.

KAOriginal

All-American
But what if half our basketball team came from overseas?

Does multiculturalism outweigh athleticism with the NCAA is this new PC world we live in?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
But what if half our basketball team came from overseas?

Does multiculturalism outweigh athleticism with the NCAA is this new PC world we live in?

Well look the Mason Inn had 148 rooms. So even if you made them into mini apartments and gave the basketball players their own "suite" halving the number if rooms, they'd still be under 20% of the capacity.

Don't see why we couldn't house the basketball team (and other athletes) there.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Since the Mason Inn is so close to the basketball practice facility, it makes sense.