Is that a pattern I see?

HoopsAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting that the pattern we're seeing isn't the one intended by the original post on this thread. I too feel like this team has regressed under Hewitt - as if they "haven't been coached".

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
[quot="MasonFanatic, post: 4721, member: 26"]If Jenkins and Moore regress, ugh...[/quote]
This is what my gut says is Hewitts staple. Picking some stupid system over maximizing production from his players. And or not adapting to better systems too. Its like he's happy using a commodore 64 in 2013. Its sad to watch our beloved program being flushed down the drain and years added on to the begining of change.

OP
Quentin Daniels

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Looking at 2012, the trend continues. Of the mid-majors/non-BCS teams that made it to the round of 32 or beyond and not including those listed in the first post of this thread, this was their coach at the time and where he'd been employed prior to that job.

1. Xavier (Sweet 16) - Chris Mack, Asst. @ Xavier
2. Lehigh - Brett Reed, Asst. @ Lehigh
3. New Mexico - Steve Alford, Iowa
4. Murray State - Steve Prohn, Asst. @ Murray State
5. Norfolk State - Anthony Evans, Asst. @ Norfolk State
6. Gonzaga - Mark Few, Asst. @ Gonzaga
7. Ohio (Sweet 16) - John Croce, Asst. @ Ohio State

Of the 7 teams:
  • 5 had been assistant coaches at that program
  • 1 had been an assistant at a successful major program
  • 1 had been the coach of a major program (relatively successful in last 4 years, not so much first 4)

Last edited:

gmuEX

Preferred Walk-On
Is anyone dissatisfied with the play of Jenkins and Moore or their rate of development as freshmen?
Nope. I'm ok as of now. Can't say the same about Copes, Holloway, Williams, or Edwards. All of which have been in the system longer than them.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Nope. I'm ok as of now. Can't say the same about Copes, Holloway, Williams, or Edwards. All of which have been in the system longer than them.

So, are you saying that the coaching staff is totally responsible in hindering the development of Copes, Holloway, Williams, and Edwards?

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Is anyone dissatisfied with the play of Jenkins and Moore or their rate of development as freshmen?
Ask the GT fans if they were dissatisfied with the development of Gani Lawal in his freshmen year? The tune changed, as with many others, as the years went along.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Ask the GT fans if they were dissatisfied with the development of Gani Lawal in his freshmen year? The tune changed, as with many others, as the years went along.

At what point, do we start holding the players accountable? For example, if Hewitt instructs the players over and over again to reverse the ball and they stop doing so, is this just Hewitt's fault? Now don't get me wrong, I don't consider Hewitt an outstanding coach. But, I also feel that the players are partially responsible for failing to do as they're told.

gmuEX

Preferred Walk-On
So, are you saying that the coaching staff is totally responsible in hindering the development of Copes, Holloway, Williams, and Edwards?
Jesus you are feisty. Easy El Diablo, do you expect me to say "yes 100% responsible"? Get off the boards Holloway and start working on the Steph Curry you love to compare yourself too.

Dawgs99

Starter
I'm sorry but its on the player as much as anyone to improve their game. As a former college athlete myself, the coaches are only "coaching up" the player a fraction of the time. Its what said player puts in on his/her own time that makes the difference. For example, its nobodys fault but Sherrod that he can't dribble the ball any better now than he did as a freshmen.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm sorry but its on the player as much as anyone to improve their game. As a former college athlete myself, the coaches are only "coaching up" the player a fraction of the time. Its what said player puts in on his/her own time that makes the difference. For example, its nobodys fault but Sherrod that he can't dribble the ball any better now than he did as a freshmen.

This is true, but being a team sport, you can have every player on your basketball team improve individually and still fail to improve collectively.

I think the thing that bothers me most about Hewitt is that he obviously prefers the NBA style, which is far more of a "I'm gonna get mine" game than we're used to seeing at Mason.

On offense, he wants to isolate mismatches, use a lot of ball-screen action and let guys break down their defender.

Defensively, we are far too reliant on switching ball screens, as if we have a bunch of interchangeable athletes capable of guarding the 1-4 spots.

His approach was only moderately successful at GT, even though he had far superior talent/athleticism to what he has now. It's simply not a recipe for long-term success at a school like Mason.

Dawgs99

Starter
I agree the scheme/system has a lot to do with each players out put on the court. But as most people know you get out what you put in. A lot of the issues we have are ball handling and lay up issues. I had high hopes for J2........

Pablo

Hall of Famer
I agree the scheme/system has a lot to do with each players out put on the court. But as most people know you get out what you put in. A lot of the issues we have are ball handling and lay up issues. I had high hopes for J2........

While his deficiencies are evident, I'm watched him do positive things that don't show in the stats. I really believe that he understands the game better than most of his teammates.

Frankly, I'm thankful that he's healthy again.

Dawgs99

Starter
I have always been one of J2's biggest fans. I'd like to seem him finish out his career in positive fashion.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
All I know is that Larranaga was not TOC's choice. He wanted Baron.
When Larranaga left, TOC handled the search himself and we wound up with Hewitt. The jury is still out on whether it was a good decision, obviously.
The one thing that's not arguable is that when L left, there was no search committee and we wound up with Hewitt.

Two things related to the quotes above :
1. I have heard the same thing (basically that the committee told TOC he had to take the OCM) from a very reliable source. It is still secondhand knowledge, though.

2. I see you talk about TOC doing the search himself or there being no committee. Everything I have heard indicates your statement is wrong. I have always heard that there was a search committee, and a quick google search finds this article that backs it up "As O'Connor convened a five-man committee to search for a coach..."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...s-perfect-spot-for-hewitt-to-resume/?page=all

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Two things related to the quotes above :
1. I have heard the same thing (basically that the committee told TOC he had to take the OCM) from a very reliable source. It is still secondhand knowledge, though.

2. I see you talk about TOC doing the search himself or there being no committee. Everything I have heard indicates your statement is wrong. I have always heard that there was a search committee, and a quick google search finds this article that backs it up "As O'Connor convened a five-man committee to search for a coach..."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...s-perfect-spot-for-hewitt-to-resume/?page=all

That is interesting. Everything I had heard was that while Adam Brick made the initial overture, Hewitt was TOC's guy from the jump.

I hadn't heard anything about a search committee. But as I noted before, I'm certainly not pretending that I had airtight sources or anything like that.

KAOriginal

All-American
More troubling....TOC quoted in that article that "he knew Hewitt could coach from his time at Siena and GT."

Yeah......