In Praise of CKE’s Accomplishments at George Mason

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
There is another way. Not sure if they still do this but I don't see why not. Back when I "worked" for Dr. Merten, I asked how they paid for the Johnson Center. He said either Shearns or Sterns, can't remember the official, created a brilliant bond offering thru the state. I wonder if we can do that now?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
There is another way. Not sure if they still do this but I don't see why not. Back when I "worked" for Dr. Merten, I asked how they paid for the Johnson Center. He said either Shearns or Sterns, can't remember the official, created a brilliant bond offering thru the state. I wonder if we can do that now?
Probably just a matter of figuring out the debt service cost since that comes out of the university’s operating budget … with all the construction that has been happening on campus for academic buildings and dorms, wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t have the debt capacity to float bonds for major athletic facility projects.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
It costs A LOT more than $13,500 for a good chunk of the student population to attend Mason. Factor in room/board, books, supplies, etc. it’s easily $30k for in-state and $50k out of state.

I do agree though, either add a nominal incremental fee or reallocate some of what they’re already receiving. I believe vcu did something similar to the latter for their practice facility.
Not including books (the most expensive of which was about $14) or gas (about .50 a gallon) for my eight mile drive to and from Vienna, my total tuition for all four years *combined* was
$3,200.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Probably just a matter of figuring out the debt service cost since that comes out of the university’s operating budget … with all the construction that has been happening on campus for academic buildings and dorms, wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t have the debt capacity to float bonds for major athletic facility projects.
Construction has slowed significantly though. Especially considering I think Robinson was largely a state funded project. I’d be interested if our debt has been significantly reduced over the past few years.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Construction has slowed significantly though. Especially considering I think Robinson was largely a state funded project. I’d be interested if our debt has been significantly reduced over the past few years.
If so that would be huge because cost of higher education in Virginia is on the radar of very powerful folks down in the GA and governors mansion … they are leaning hard on universities to reduce dependence on fees for athletics, not increase them

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Not including books (the most expensive of which was about $14) or gas (about .50 a gallon) for my eight mile drive to and from Vienna, my total tuition for all four years *combined* was
$3,200.
Just sent you a message. We really need to meet at some point in time. Kids today just wouldn't understand.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
It costs A LOT more than $13,500 for a good chunk of the student population to attend Mason. Factor in room/board, books, supplies, etc. it’s easily $30k for in-state and $50k out of state.

I do agree though, either add a nominal incremental fee or reallocate some of what they’re already receiving. I believe vcu did something similar to the latter for their practice facility.
Not necessarily... a big chunk of our students are still in-state and live at home with mommy and daddy.

Its about $5K for 12-15 credit hours just for school for this Spring semester...Not including anything else: Housing, Books, additional fees/taxes, etc. https://studentaccounts.gmu.edu/wp-content/uploads/AY2022-23Undergraduate.pdf

This site claims to be under $10K a year for tuition for in-state. Then..."The school charges an additional fees of $3,609 in addition to tuition bringing the total effective in-state tuition to $13,119." https://www.collegecalc.org/colleges/virginia/george-mason-university/

Regardless.... our tuition is very cheap compared to other regional schools and especially if someone is a commuter living at home and only needs to pay for credits/school. This school is a bargain at this price and for where the school is located. We can certainly afford to jack up the price to obtain more athletic funds this way.

Last edited:

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Not necessarily... a big chunk of our students are still in-state and live at home with mommy and daddy.

Its about $5K for 12-15 credit hours just for school for this Spring semester...Not including anything else: Housing, Books, additional fees/taxes, etc. https://studentaccounts.gmu.edu/wp-content/uploads/AY2022-23Undergraduate.pdf

This site claims to be under $10K a year for tuition for in-state. Then..."The school charges an additional fees of $3,609 in addition to tuition bringing the total effective in-state tuition to $13,119." https://www.collegecalc.org/colleges/virginia/george-mason-university/

Regardless.... our tuition is very cheap compared to other regional schools and especially if someone is a commuter living at home and only needs to pay for credits/school. This school is a bargain at this price and for where the school is located. We can certainly afford to jack up the price to obtain more athletic funds this way.
Yes, it is cheap for in-state especially if you commute. It adds up quickly once everything else gets tacked on top like housing (if needed), books, meal plans, etc.

Speaking as an out of state student, Mason certainly wasn’t “very cheap”.

vcu didn’t have to add incremental fees to get their facility done, they just reallocated what they were already getting to athletics. I don’t see why Mason couldn’t do similar, as an alternative to jacking up costs even more.

masonhoops1984

Role Player
vcu is insanely expensive. Also their student fees are outrageous and they jacked them up after the final 4 to pay for basketball. Art and basketball such a random school.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
vcu is insanely expensive. Also their student fees are outrageous and they jacked them up after the final 4 to pay for basketball. Art and basketball such a random school.
Yes. Lots of complaining about them jacking up the fees.