1679500601962.png

Should I tell them?

OP
Walter

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Does the administration have some blame in losing English? Maybe, but he was likely out the door as soon as any P6 school came knocking regardless. Who could have predicted that a Big East team would be so desperate as taking a chance on a guy with a .527 record?

Go back to see what some of you wrote early in the season about his coaching. English did not kill it here. He was as average as average can be. The only area where he was not average was in promoting the perception that he was an up-and-coming superstar coach.

OP
Walter

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Let's not forget, Pat Kelsey wanted the job. But he didn't have the PR machine that English had, so we didn't even interview him. Who would have been the better hire? Did Tony interview two years ago? He isn't a walking PR machine either. But Tony can recruit and, hopefully, can coach. But more importantly, this may be his dream job, not just some stepping stone to a payday.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Let's not forget, Pat Kelsey wanted the job. But he didn't have the PR machine that English had, so we didn't even interview him. Who would have been the better hire? Did Tony interview two years ago? He isn't a walking PR machine either. But Tony can recruit and, hopefully, can coach. But more importantly, this may be his dream job, not just some stepping stone to a payday.
I hadn't seen that Pat Kelsey wanted the job -- not saying it isn't true, but where did you find that?

OP
Walter

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I hadn't seen that Pat Kelsey wanted the job -- not saying it isn't true, but where did you find that?
It is based on my memory but I'll admit my memory may be confusing message board chatter with actual facts.

He took the CoC job at half of what we paid the walking PR machine. We could have easily had him.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Aye, the only PR machine I care about is the one CBS/Turner will be providing us for free every March when hopefully Tony Skinn and Lamar Butler lead us the right way!

And that's the only PR that matters. True success is attained by those who grind, are good people, have good people around them, love their family, wife/husband/partner Etc, and above all else, put God first.

God Bless Mason Nation!

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
What Pat Kelsey did at CofC was pretty amazing. He brought in two guys from DII West Liberty, one guy from DII Southeastern Oklahoma St and a guy from Wofford. That was the core of their 30+ win team that should've beaten SD St in the first round. They had some other guys as well but he built the team with non-DI transfers and a guy from Wofford. I think we would've been burning the boards last spring if that happened here. He coached them up. Not sure who they'll lose or gain in the portal but they have a really good freshman class coming in.

The students LOVE him.

The Great PATSby

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Does the administration have some blame in losing English? Maybe, but he was likely out the door as soon as any P6 school came knocking regardless. Who could have predicted that a Big East team would be so desperate as taking a chance on a guy with a .527 record?

Go back to see what some of you wrote early in the season about his coaching. English did not kill it here. He was as average as average can be. The only area where he was not average was in promoting the perception that he was an up-and-coming superstar coach.

My vibe since day 1 was that he was using Mason as a stepping stone.

I may be completly wrong so correct me if I am but based on his social media, I'm pretty sure he rented an apartment in Arlington and that he didn't move his family out here. Who would do that if you didn't plan on being here long term?

2nd. He hit the portal hard and wanted to win right away both years. He wanted to win right away and not build from the ground up. The quicker he wins, the quicker he gets a better gig.

3rd. Based on our current roster, we were going to be worse next season. Especially if JO left which is most likely the case. He probably figured he needed to leave now otherwise he's stuck at Mason without an extension and potentially would have to go back to being an assistant eventually.

It is what it is I guess. He did whats best for him. It just sucks and hurts that we were used. Wish he could've at least got us into the NCAAT.

Last edited:
My vibe since day 1 was that he was using Mason as a stepping stone.

I may be completly wrong so correct me if I am but based on his social media, I'm pretty sure he rented an apartment in Arlington and that he didn't move his family out here. Who would do that if you didn't plan on being here long term?

2nd. He hit the portal hard and wanted to win right away both years. He wanted to win right away and not build from the ground up. The quicker he wins, the quicker he gets a better gig.

3rd. Based on our current roster, we were going to be worse next season. Especially if JO left. He probably figured he needed to leave now otherwise he's stuck at Mason without an extension and potentially would have to go back to being an assistant eventually.

It is what it is I guess. He did whats best for him. It just sucks and hurts that we were used.

This was the most thought-provoking post. You nailed it, well done. If he wanted to be a part of the Fairfax community, he should've at least lived in Fairfax county. I thought something was fishy when Brad departed he didn't say goodbye on social media. He used us and by doing so, set us back another 3-4 years as a program.

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Realizing it's a day to be overly critical of Kim, but there are plenty of small and somewhat more significant changes he did make in two years. Off the top of my head a few off-the-court ones are:

- Re-connected with alumni players. Final Four guys, Dre Smith, Mike Mo, Herring, etc. all became regulars around the program again.
- Opened the doors to practices and team events to fans and donors.
- Hid tickets and swag around campus, provided free food and worked hard to get students engaged in the program.
- Started the George Mason Experience
- Made sure gamedays had a DJ to compliment the band and get the crowd more engaged
- We finally got a coach's show
- Got the arena to show replays of controversial calls (ask Urgo how much he liked that)
- Upped the program's social media/video game 10-fold
- Helped promote the NIL Collective
- Did more genuine donor outreach than any coach we've had, OCM included
- At least got cosmetic changes done to the coach's offices (more to come on RAC improvements)

On-court was certainly a mixed bag but we did see a lot of changes, which sort of flies in the face of the "content with the status quo" statement we've heard.

OP
Walter

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
His biggest achievement (if it was him) was bringing back the "Geoge" on the uniforms.