Hewitt, Extension, wait, what?

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Oddly enough I was talking about the whole improvement bit with a friend of mine and I think its important how that improvement is measured above the wins and losses.

Is the improvement primarily based off a weaker league and "luck" or is the improvement based off quality of players and better coaching decisions? I don't want to see a team get 15 wins by dumb luck when it should have been more if there was better coaching. I know that sounds weird, but its the best way I can explain it. All figurative of course.

I just hope Edwards looks at the full picture in these discussions.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
To warrant an extension, IMO the level of play needs to be considerably better than last season:

George Mason (11-20)
Men's Basketball National Ranking Summary
Thru Games 04/07/2014

CategoryRankActual National LeaderActual
Won-Lost Percentage (345 ranked) 273 35.5 Wichita St. 97.2
Scoring Offense (345 ranked) 214 69.5 VMI 88.3
Scoring Defense (345 ranked) 233 72.0 Virginia 55.7
Scoring Margin (345 ranked) 244 -2.5 Louisville 19.9
Field-Goal Percentage (345 ranked) 186 44.0 North Dakota St. 50.5
Field-Goal Percentage Defense (345 ranked) 216 44.5 Eastern Mich. 36.9
Three-Point Field Goals Per Game (345 ranked) 298 4.9 Iona 10.2
Three-Point Field-Goal Percentage (345 ranked) Creighton 41.4
Three Pt FG Defense (345 ranked) 132 33.5 Clemson 28.5
Free-Throw Percentage (345 ranked) 141 70.9 CSUN 79.1
Rebound Margin (345 ranked) 161 0.9 Quinnipiac 11.8
Assists Per Game (345 ranked) 294 10.9 Iowa St. 18.4
Assist Turnover Ratio (345 ranked) 309 0.81 Creighton 1.8
Blocked Shots Per Game (345 ranked) 181 3.5 St. John's (NY) 7.5
Steals Per Game (345 ranked) 266 5.3 vcu 11.2
Turnovers Per Game (345 ranked) 288 13.6 Wisconsin 8.1
Turnover Margin (345 ranked) 276 -1.4 Louisville 6.7
Personal Fouls Per Game (345 ranked) 294 20.9 Michigan 14.2
Total Blocks (345 ranked) 195 108.0 St. John's (NY) 248.0
Total Assists (345 ranked) 310 339.0 Iowa St. 663.0
Total Rebounds (345 ranked) 238 1071.0 Kentucky 1608.0
Free Throw Attempts (345 ranked) 226 690.0 Kentucky 1146.0
Free Throws Made (345 ranked) 206 489.0 Kentucky 781.0
3-pt Field Goal Attempts (345 ranked) 333 435.0 VMI 962.0
Total 3-point FGM (345 ranked) 309 153.0 Creighton 356.0
Total Steals (345 ranked) 280 163.0 vcu 391.0
Fewest Turnovers (345 ranked) 234 421.0 Drexel 255.0
Fewest Fouls (345 ranked) 231 649.0 Saint Francis (PA) 481.0
Offensive Rebounds Per Game (345 ranked) 176 10.94 Quinnipiac 16.72
Defensive Rebounds per Game (345 ranked) 192 23.61 Quinnipiac 28.72

Last edited:

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I'm not worried. Edwards doesn't strike me as a dumb guy. He'll do a full evaluation after the season. One thing to remember, as well, is that at some point Edwards honeymoon will end and he will start to be evaluated. He'll probably want to sink or swim with someone that he trusts in the position of most influence within the program that he runs. A lot of good coaches have been gone after new ADs have been hired, the bad ones are always gone.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Even if I was willing to excuse last season because we moved to a five bid league, what is the excuse for the first two disappointing years in the CAA? We should have been able to dominate in Hewitt's second year. How did we do? 5th place

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
Even if I was willing to excuse last season because we moved to a five bid league, what is the excuse for the first two disappointing years in the CAA? We should have been able to dominate in Hewitt's second year. How did we do? 5th place

Even without Luke, we should have done better in year one with Pearson and Morrison. Being down 32-4 is the most embarrassed I've ever been as a Mason fan. At least I didn't have any expectations in the Westhead/Nestor years.

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Here's are a few things to consider before we fly off the handle about a possible extension:

1. We did just significantly upgrade conferences. Not really surprising that it would take some time to adjust to the deepest, most competitive A-10 ever.

2. Hewitt has recruited well overall. Talk to people from other A-10 schools and they'll tell you that lack of talent is not our problem.

3. Every coach has recruiting misses. God knows the Elderly Cuban was nowhere near 100 percent. So maybe Hewitt gets a pass for Okoloji.

4. We have 6 very promising freshmen/sophomores -- including Jenkins -- who we could conceivably lose in the wake of a coaching change. That would absolutely devastate our program for years to come.

5. Hewitt has only had one full recruiting cycle as an A-10 member, so it's fair to argue that he needs more time to stock the roster with A-10 caliber players.

6. The uncertainty over his status beyond this season has to be having negative effects on recruiting.

So I guess what I'm saying is, while I don't think he's the solution long-term, maybe a 2-3 year extension at this point wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. I'm sure many others will disagree.

Jim,

Re #4 - I would argue that this is taking too much of a short-term view of the program. When a coaching change occurs, players always leave. It's the nature of the beast. It's much more damaging in the long term to not have the right coach leading your program. You may take a hit the initial year of the change, but the new coach will bring in new contacts and hopefully a similar level of recruit which will be enhanced by the superior level of coaching.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Hewitt has brought in players who look promising. Obviously Jenkins has really impressed. However, let's not kid ourselves into thinking he has upgraded our talent. In fact, he has been outrecruited by many of his fellow A-10 coaches - if one is to believe the recruiting services.

gmu05

Starter

This where I really lost faith in Hewitt as a coach. 5th place in the CAA that year was an absolute joke. 22 wins that included only 3 vs top 100 teams and one of those came at the RAC in a 3 game series. I don't understand why a new point guard wasn't being groomed in 2012-13

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Hewitt has brought in players who look promising. Obviously Jenkins has really impressed. However, let's not kid ourselves into thinking he has upgraded our talent. In fact, he has been outrecruited by many of his fellow A-10 coaches - if one is to believe the recruiting services.

Hewitt's only had 1 recruiting cycle to sell the A-10. It's simply too small a sample size to draw any conclusions.

Honestly, we won't even know after this season whether we have something to really build on for the future with the freshmen, simply because they're freshmen and need time to develop.

If we struggle again and cut Hewitt loose, we might be cutting off our noses to spite our faces.

Patriotfan49

Starter
The only thing Hewitt has to even discuss an extension, are excuses...his players, conference switch etc. As far as actual points of his to show he deserves anything, there is nothing at all.

Imo he has to overachieve ie NIT, conference championship etc to even live out the 5th year of the deal...not even an extension. Anything other than that, there is just little to no reason to continue on.

Patriotfan49

Starter
Hewitt's only had 1 recruiting cycle to sell the A-10. It's simply too small a sample size to draw any conclusions.

Honestly, we won't even know after this season whether we have something to really build on for the future with the freshmen, simply because they're freshmen and need time to develop.

If we struggle again and cut Hewitt loose, we might be cutting off our noses to spite our faces.

Good coach>>>>players. Players will come and go and the short term it could hurt us to lose some guys, but the long term of finding a good coach going forward outweighs that.

It's no guarantee that anybody or everybody would leave anyway. Or of they would leave on their own at some point too. Just too much unknown to base such a big decision on. Who is to say the new coach won't come in and convince all the guys to stay, much like Hewitt did?

The concern you present is obviously valid, but depending how things go it could be a neccessary evil that we have to confront.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Who is to say the new coach won't come in and convince all the guys to stay, much like Hewitt did?

Actually, Hewitt lost Luke Hancock & Rashad Whack. Although, to be fair, I'm not sure that any new coach could have convinced either to stay.

I don't know how many players would leave if Hewitt is terminated after this season. But, if he has another season like last season and is retained, I'm convinced that many season ticket holders will not renew.

OP
GSII

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
A new coach could also bring guys in he is currently recruiting. Like OCM did with Herring. Kids still have the option to follow their coach if he leaves before they arrive from HS, right? If bball is our premiere sport focus, then another crappy year probably will be hard to justify him staying. Like I've said before, the crux of the argument is in his first two seasons here. Handed good team, mucked it up for two years. I hope Edwards looks at that. I doubt he will look back to his Ga Tech days.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Good coach>>>>players. Players will come and go and the short term it could hurt us to lose some guys, but the long term of finding a good coach going forward outweighs that.

It's no guarantee that anybody or everybody would leave anyway. Or of they would leave on their own at some point too. Just too much unknown to base such a big decision on. Who is to say the new coach won't come in and convince all the guys to stay, much like Hewitt did?

The concern you present is obviously valid, but depending how things go it could be a neccessary evil that we have to confront.

Playing devil's advocate, who's to say we don't pull a UNCW?

They screwed up originally by not paying big to keep Brownell, then hired a bad replacement in Benny Moss, then got rid of him and hired Buzz Peterson.

Through all those coaching changes, they had numerous kids transfer out, back out of commitments and struggle academically to the point that their APR was among the worst in the nation.

In the process, they turned one of the most-respected mid-major programs in America into a dumpster fire.

They've now gambled that Kevin Keatts can pull them out of the abyss, but even that is nothing better than a short-term fix because he's gonna bolt as soon as he gets a better offer.

Point is, as hard as it is to fathom, we could conceivably do worse than Hewitt.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
You are absolutely correct! But, is this sufficient justification for retaining him?
We could do just as bad but surely we won't pay Hewitt-like money. I don't see Brad going for a re-tread hire. Up and comers don't get Hewitt-like money.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
You are absolutely correct! But, is this sufficient justification for retaining him?

Honestly, I don't know.

Anyone who visits this site even occasionally should know that I've been as critical of Hewitt's coaching as anyone.

But the more I think about it, the more I see a collection of factors -- a "perfect storm," if you will -- that have contributed mightily to our program failing to live up to expectations during Hewitt's tenure:

1. Luke's transfer. He would've been a perfect fit for Hewitt as a 6-6 playmaker. I don't think many people understand how much it set us back losing a player who went on to me MOP of the Final Four.

2. DJ's credit card bust/suspension got us off to a terrible start in Hewitt's first season. Without him and Luke, plus the graduations of Cam and Ike, our backcourt was young and frankly not very good.

3. On a related note, the players Larranaga left behind mostly weren't as good as we thought they were. Pearson was terrific, Morrison, Wright and Allen were good, but everybody else either underachieved or transferred or both.

4. Edwards proved not to be any type of answer at the PG spot and Gray struggled to deal with off-court issues, essentially nullifying whatever effort Hewitt expended to convince both of them to stay.

5. Copes' behavior issues and injury issues have led to him being labeled a bust. He certainly hasn't been anywhere near his top-60 national billing coming out of HS.

6. The timing of our conference switch, coming in a year when the A-10 was as deep and strong as it ever had been. And yet, we still had several games where we were right there with a chance to win in the final 5 minutes.

I know that many of you are going to say I'm making excuses for Hewitt's failures. I'm doing no such thing. I've noted several times that I don't think he's a good coach. I still don't think he is.

I just think the situation is too complex to know for sure. Glad I'm not Edwards.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Honestly, I don't know.

Anyone who visits this site even occasionally should know that I've been as critical of Hewitt's coaching as anyone.

But the more I think about it, the more I see a collection of factors -- a "perfect storm," if you will -- that have contributed mightily to our program failing to live up to expectations during Hewitt's tenure:

1. Luke's transfer. He would've been a perfect fit for Hewitt as a 6-6 playmaker. I don't think many people understand how much it set us back losing a player who went on to me MOP of the Final Four.

2. DJ's credit card bust/suspension got us off to a terrible start in Hewitt's first season. Without him and Luke, plus the graduations of Cam and Ike, our backcourt was young and frankly not very good.

3. On a related note, the players Larranaga left behind mostly weren't as good as we thought they were. Pearson was terrific, Morrison, Wright and Allen were good, but everybody else either underachieved or transferred or both.

4. Edwards proved not to be any type of answer at the PG spot and Gray struggled to deal with off-court issues, essentially nullifying whatever effort Hewitt expended to convince both of them to stay.

5. Copes' behavior issues and injury issues have led to him being labeled a bust. He certainly hasn't been anywhere near his top-60 national billing coming out of HS.

6. The timing of our conference switch, coming in a year when the A-10 was as deep and strong as it ever had been. And yet, we still had several games where we were right there with a chance to win in the final 5 minutes.

I know that many of you are going to say I'm making excuses for Hewitt's failures. I'm doing no such thing. I've noted several times that I don't think he's a good coach. I still don't think he is.

I just think the situation is too complex to know for sure. Glad I'm not Edwards.

Jim,

Let's just agree that AD Brad Edwards should wait until the end of this season before making any recommendation with respect to Hewitt's job status.

Patriotfan49

Starter
Playing devil's advocate, who's to say we don't pull a UNCW?

They screwed up originally by not paying big to keep Brownell, then hired a bad replacement in Benny Moss, then got rid of him and hired Buzz Peterson.

Through all those coaching changes, they had numerous kids transfer out, back out of commitments and struggle academically to the point that their APR was among the worst in the nation.

In the process, they turned one of the most-respected mid-major programs in America into a dumpster fire.

They've now gambled that Kevin Keatts can pull them out of the abyss, but even that is nothing better than a short-term fix because he's gonna bolt as soon as he gets a better offer.

Point is, as hard as it is to fathom, we could conceivably do worse than Hewitt.
That is all very possible. When hiring, you never truly know what you are getting. With that said, any decision that is a potential pitfall...moving jobs, hiring, buying this car over that etccc...

So while it's true, it could get worse by default...I don't believe its the right move to latch on to somebody so mediocre at best, simply out of fear. Can't hit a homer without swinging....but you can still strike out.