Hewitt, Extension, wait, what?

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I just got the biggest knot in my stomach. This might be a reality. Supposedly his arguement is the league switch and old regime players handicapped him in the recruiting cycle. I guess Okajoke was someone elses fault too. Ugh!

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Sweet, a new threat with a topic that hasn't been beaten to death in every other thread. Give it a rest already. Let the season play out, and everything else will take care of itself. If he's a bad as he was last year, he'll be canned and you'll have to find something else to rant about.

gmu05

Starter
I just got the biggest knot in my stomach. This might be a reality. Supposedly his arguement is the league switch and old regime players handicapped him in the recruiting cycle. I guess Okajoke was someone elses fault too. Ugh!

Are you providing some sort of inside info? Or are you just bored and doing more of your usual shtick?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

Here's are a few things to consider before we fly off the handle about a possible extension:

1. We did just significantly upgrade conferences. Not really surprising that it would take some time to adjust to the deepest, most competitive A-10 ever.

2. Hewitt has recruited well overall. Talk to people from other A-10 schools and they'll tell you that lack of talent is not our problem.

3. Every coach has recruiting misses. God knows the Elderly Cuban was nowhere near 100 percent. So maybe Hewitt gets a pass for Okoloji.

4. We have 6 very promising freshmen/sophomores -- including Jenkins -- who we could conceivably lose in the wake of a coaching change. That would absolutely devastate our program for years to come.

5. Hewitt has only had one full recruiting cycle as an A-10 member, so it's fair to argue that he needs more time to stock the roster with A-10 caliber players.

6. The uncertainty over his status beyond this season has to be having negative effects on recruiting.

So I guess what I'm saying is, while I don't think he's the solution long-term, maybe a 2-3 year extension at this point wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. I'm sure many others will disagree.

OP
GSII

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Tom, relax and make some dialogue....

It's real and even suprisngly to me, I sort of sympathize with him in the recruiting argument.

If you were the AD, how much weight does this get in allowing a 1 or 2 year extension vs a firing? After all, this is his first year with all his guys, al beit freshman.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
So I guess what I'm saying is, while I don't think he's the solution long-term, maybe a 2-3 year extension at this point wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. I'm sure many others will disagree.

IMO, absolutely no extension is warranted at this point.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Fair enough, GS. I'll play along. I agree with Pablos on this one. I definitely get Jim's point about the potential impact on recruiting, but Hewitt's done nothing to warrant an extension even with the conference change. Let the year play out, and then address his status in the offseason.

I met Edwards this summer and told him I don't envy his position. He chuckled and asked why. I said, "How do you make a decision on the future of our program when we are in all likelihood going to be worse this year than last." He didn't mention Hewitt by name, but he did think we could make strides in the standings due to the league not being as loaded as last year.

Now that I've plunked down my money, I've kind of resigned myself to just making the best out of this season. I have no say in whether Hewitt stays or goes, so I hope to get my money's worth in entertainment, food and beer rather than dwelling on wins and losses. That burden falls on Edwards.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
He didn't mention Hewitt by name, but he did think we could make strides in the standings due to the league not being as loaded as last year.

Evidently, both Edwards and Hewitt believe that the Patriots should do better in the A10 this season than the preseason polls project. Hopefully, they're right! But, if they're not, shouldn't the school find a better long-term solution at the head coaching position?

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Does Hewitt have one more year after this one on his contract? Honestly don't know.

Not saying there is no truth to this, but trying to look at this a different way, you almost wonder why Hewitt himself would want to have this conversation now:

- He's not in a power position at all, so any extension would likely be for the same money or less and would likely have a small parachute if there was a termination.

- Does the guy really want to stay at this grind a few more years getting beaten up in the A-10? I think we'd all agree the guy is knowledgeable of the game and a smooth talker. He could probably make almost as much money as a studio host or color commentator and it would require far less work.

I understand the recruiting side of things and kids reluctance to commit four years to a coach that might be around for 1, but the timing still seems a little off to me.

GMUSig03

All-Conference
NO EXTENSION unless it is only for recruiting purposes and includes an unpublicized clause allowing for termination by the School with little to no buyout. You often see extensions given when Coaches are on the hot seat but still need to recruit, just so they can answer the questions from recruits about their future at the school. If we are extending him for any other reason, well, I will be extremely disappointed.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
NO EXTENSION unless it is only for recruiting purposes and includes an unpublicized clause allowing for termination by the School with little to no buyout.

Joe,

Do you seriously believe that Hewitt would agree to an extension with no buyout provision?

GMURaider

Sixth Man
No extension right now. If we make the NIT than extend till 2018 or 2019. If we make the NCAA between 2015 and 2018/2019 than a long term extension.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I can't see why this would occur before the season without Edwards at least seeing how the team performs.

gmu05

Starter
Here's are a few things to consider before we fly off the handle about a possible extension:

1. We did just significantly upgrade conferences. Not really surprising that it would take some time to adjust to the deepest, most competitive A-10 ever.

2. Hewitt has recruited well overall. Talk to people from other A-10 schools and they'll tell you that lack of talent is not our problem.

3. Every coach has recruiting misses. God knows the Elderly Cuban was nowhere near 100 percent. So maybe Hewitt gets a pass for Okoloji.

4. We have 6 very promising freshmen/sophomores -- including Jenkins -- who we could conceivably lose in the wake of a coaching change. That would absolutely devastate our program for years to come.

5. Hewitt has only had one full recruiting cycle as an A-10 member, so it's fair to argue that he needs more time to stock the roster with A-10 caliber players.

6. The uncertainty over his status beyond this season has to be having negative effects on recruiting.

You make a lot of really good points here but I look at it a different way. As a coach like Hewitt, coming from the ACC, and having been to the national title game, he doesn't get as much slack as maybe a young coach with potential might get.

Go back and read O'Connor's and others quotes from when the move to A-10 was made. Hewitt was mentioned a lot as the veteran coach to help us prevent this big drop off from happening.

OP
GSII

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Re: timing, yes, at end of season. I thought it was 100% he'd be fired. But with a 15-15 record, he shows "his guys" are growing in the right direction without OCM's guys bogging him down. Plus, he'll argue he's doing it in a new conf. Hewitt will milk the conf switch all day. Ultimately, its up to Edwards and who we have a shot at as a replacement. However, it's very possible an extension could happen.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
Every school gets good players in the A10. That's the norm. vcu is bringing in a guy next season that turned down Indiana and Carolina to go to vcu. I'm not saying we have to have that to compete for championships, I'm just saying for better or worse that's where the bar is now.

OP
GSII

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
You make a lot of really good points here but I look at it a different way. As a coach like Hewitt, coming from the ACC, and having been to the national title game, he doesn't get as much slack as maybe a young coach with potential might get.

Go back and read O'Connor's and others quotes from when the move to A-10 was made. Hewitt was mentioned a lot as the veteran coach to help us prevent this big drop off from happening.

He was brought in to replace a final four coach with another final four coach and maintain a CAA program. But he'll argue we switched conferences while he still had OCM's boys on roster. Will ask for 2 more years to prove it. We saw the growth this year, why mess this up am just warming up..etc etc. It'll be interesting to see how the AD plays this if we do significantly increase wins.