GMU: Where Construction is Tradition

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
X10000. Access is a huge deal, particularly for people like me who are first-generation college graduates. I’m proud that Mason opens its doors to kids who might have no other options beyond community college and gives them a chance to change the trajectory of their lives for the better. Great to be an alum of a university that provides a great education and an even better value.
And I strongly agree that state universities should prioritize their state residents. They pay the taxes to make these institutions possible. More importantly - if you measure the cost of a Mason Bachelors degree and compare it to what you can get job/salary wise it is a no brainer. Particularly if you focus on a degree that is not something like Medieval Erotic Literature or Violent Lesbian Sexual Mythology.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Being a “national university” just means having a certain number of graduate degrees. JMU was considered an undergrad school until recently because it didn’t offer that many masters degrees (and I think zero PhDs—I see 7 now).

From a marketing perspective I think it’s a tough thing being focused almost exclusively on undergraduate education, unless you want to stay tiny like Davidson.
Agreed - and If JMU comes out as a national university this year- they are going to be hurt by their number of Grad and PHD programs and their small research budget.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Full disclosure - My eldest went to Mason my youngest boy went to JMU (he is paying for his own tuition). Mason has a growing reputation in academics that is exceeding JMU's. Keep in mind - Mason is ranked as a national university - JMU is ranked as a regional university. We have a larger research budget than almost every school in VA save for Tech. We have a nationally ranked Law School, School of Economics, and Engineering program. As a result, I am not surprised at all.
JMU has been reclassified as a National University. The September US News will be the first National ranking for them.

I get that Mason is well ranked and well respected academically. I'm totally on board with that.

Just from what I hear and how many folks still know of JMU, I would have thought that it would have more out of state than a school like Mason. I have to think having a Maryland contingent probably helps with these numbers but I know Mason recruits just about everywhere.

For context, my niece is going to college (UMD, lives in MD) and from talking to some folks, Mason still has a lot of the old labels. It didn't look like anyone from her high school was going to Mason and this is only an hour away. Mason recruited her for the honors program but in state was a better financial choice. She did look and consider JMU and VT.

It honestly doesn't really matter, it was just a surprise to me.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
One thing I would like to see Mason do that I've seen some other schools do... offer some sort of tuition break for out-of-state students who's parents graduated from George Mason. Going though the process with my own son right now and I've seen a lot of schools offer this... I've even seen someone (forgot who) offer in-state rates for out-of-state if both parents graduated.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
One thing I would like to see Mason do that I've seen some other schools do... offer some sort of tuition break for out-of-state students who's parents graduated from George Mason. Going though the process with my own son right now and I've seen a lot of schools offer this... I've even seen someone (forgot who) offer in-state rates for out-of-state if both parents graduated.
Friends and Family program - nice idea

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I get that Mason is well ranked and well respected academically. I'm totally on board with that.

Just from what I hear and how many folks still know of JMU, I would have thought that it would have more out of state than a school like Mason. I have to think having a Maryland contingent probably helps with these numbers but I know Mason recruits just about everywhere.

For context, my niece is going to college (UMD, lives in MD) and from talking to some folks, Mason still has a lot of the old labels. It didn't look like anyone from her high school was going to Mason and this is only an hour away. Mason recruited her for the honors program but in state was a better financial choice. She did look and consider JMU and VT.

It honestly doesn't really matter, it was just a surprise to me.
Time will address those old labels. As someone who hires a lot of college grads (i go in and recruit them starting in their Junior year) about 30% of my hires are from Mason. We work the alumni network there hard. The others are Tech or out of state schools. I remember when VT was regarded as some out of way state school off a dirt road (1970s-1980s).

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I love that idea! And not just because my wife and I both went to Mason either. Making Mason a family tradition is a great thing.

Hopefully someone in admissions hears about this and researches the feasibility of this idea.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
This is an inspired idea.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Only if said kid goes to every home bball game and a few road games. Has a seat on the FSC and plays beer pong with the current Mason president. We won't get into jersey production.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
i-z2SVq33-M.jpg

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Great little video on Mason's Arboretum concept - across the campus. I actually used to talk to the grounds team and they have put a lot on the variety of trees and flora they purposely plant and maintain in the campus.